Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #801
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Good luck with the job search. A friend of ours went into a seniors home applying for a nursing position and they mixed up the interview process. She realized they were interviewing her for the role of overseeing the maintenance and cleaning staff. A couple of quick questions revealed that it being a supervisory role there would be no nights or weekends, the benefits better, and she told them she'd like to continue the interview. She is thoroughly enjoying the role that she's had now for a year and the nursing staff love it because someone with the same level of understanding of cleanliness and how they actually use the equipment is in place. A win/win for everyone.

Take care,
Barry
Old 10-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #802
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Westward Ho!!

Glad you all arrived safely and with Bertha mostly in one piece! Being not all that handy, we really appreciate not only what you have endured but that you are more than able to repair, re-do, replace, or rectify any mishap or misadventure to come your way. We applude and congratulate you Marie, Terry, dear Sophie, and also Andy, and wish you all a happy new chapter in the Great Adventure called Life.

Best Wishes,
Sue & Ike
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #803
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I never guessed your destination, but I didn't think you were headed for LA! Best wishes to every one (and dog) involved in this exciting transition. Goodness, when I remember the frightening posts after Terry's accident, the trials you two endured, the new visions you developed, and now, new trails and shared adventures. You surely have been tempered by hard times, and created stronger and wise for all your new possibilities. Congratulations ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #804
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Getting ready for the first day...

We completed a few tasks this weekend, notably rehanging the sliding door to the bathroom, and trying to find places for all our "stuff". Marie seems a little concerned when I am crawling around on ladders, and I spent a great deal of time over the last two days going up and down them, moving stuff around on shelves, and getting our junque' out of the way of the business. We are still staying in Bertha, so frame repairs may have to wait until we get an apartment here, and can move there. I'll drop the front belly pan, and see how involved it looks.
One thing we've noticed here, is a complete lack of mosquitoes. They seem to like water, and there isn't much of that lying around. Interestingly, it rained here yesterday, as well as in the middle of the desert on Thursday. I'm told it's unusual at this time of the year, even the small amount of rain there was.
Tomorrow starts the new position with Inland. I'm not sure how being a moderator will conflict or not with working for one of our forum's vendors, we'll see how it goes.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #805
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Glad you made it to the Promised Land

Wow, lots can happen in a few days. I'm glad you three are safe in LA in spite of all the "unexpected events" along the way. Y'all are bombproof!

Terry, I kinda thought you might be joining up with Inland Andy. It's true!! That's awesome. Marie, I'm sure the right position will find you. Of course, they may find Sophie first and you'll just have to be part of the bargin.

Best to luck to all of you.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #806
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Thumbs up A heartfelt "good luck" from the Heartland...

It's been great reading about all your adventures for the last one and half years... It gives the rest of us hope when we run into a challenge...

It will be exciting to have someone we sort of , kind of , almost, somewhat know in a round about, not quite personal way to talk to at Andy's. I'm sure there is still something that we need to order!!! There always is!!!

Remember, you're always welcome in Kansas!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #807
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Don’t worry about it Terry. If you need some I can send you a box of prime Arkansas mosquitoes.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #808
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Congrats, Terry, Marie and Sophie!!!! I am so glad you arrived safely and are set up and ready to go. And what better place to be in to make frame repairs!

That is the one thing Brad really likes about living in that area--the almost total lack of bugs! Like Vaughan says--we will be HAPPY to send you some mosquitoes if you are feeling the lack. I will have to call the wranglers to see if we can round some up and lasso them.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #809
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Hey look...the last three post...an Arkansas Trifecta...good luck on your new adventure and I know things will work out just the way you planned...glad you all made it out there OK!!!!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #810
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thanks, guys (and girls). I think we've found a replacement for the mosquitoes here--ants.
I woke up at 1 o'clock this morning with ants all over me and my bed, and yes, they bite. They aren't as aggressive or as painful as fire ants (if you haven't encountered them, consider yourself lucky), but it is still not a good way to wake up in the middle of the night. They seem to be traveling along the shore power cord, I liberally doused that, the water and sewer hoses, and sprayed a circle around the stabilizers, tongue jack, and tires. I then washed my hands and went back to bed--on the couch.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #811
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
If you think the ants are bad out there...wait til you see the uncles!!!

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #812
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Another Shortage I Can Help With!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Thanks, guys (and girls). I think we've found a replacement for the mosquitoes here--ants.
I woke up at 1 o'clock this morning with ants all over me and my bed, and yes, they bite. They aren't as aggressive or as painful as fire ants (if you haven't encountered them, consider yourself lucky), but it is still not a good way to wake up in the middle of the night. They seem to be traveling along the shore power cord, I liberally doused that, the water and sewer hoses, and prayed a circle around the stabilizers, tongue jack, and tires. I then washed my hands and went back to bed--on the couch.
I should have thought of it in the first post. I'll be glad to include the fire ants from my yard in the box with the mosquitoes.

Didn't have them till a couple of years ago, now requires constant diligence.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #813
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'll box up the few remaining grasshoppers around here. Too bad I didn't know earlier—there were gazillions a month ago. Oh, and the paper wasps—I think they are the same as mud daubers—more every year for the last several years. Look for them in the mail.

All sorts of things are moving north as the climate changes. I'm waiting for three toed sloths and army ants as well as dengue fever.

I hope you two, whoops, three, are settling in. I know it'll take a while to really feel at home, but you do appear resilient.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #814
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1 View Post
If you think the ants are bad out there...wait til you see the uncles!!!
...Groan......
Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #815
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Terry, I can sympathize about the Ants. Where I'm staying in Pasadena they seem to have infested the walls of the cheap apartment (cheap at $1225/month!) where I'm staying right now. For some reason the seem to like the bathroom faucet. If it sits for several hours without being used when I turned the faucet on out pours about a dozen ants. Its kinda fun watching them swirl around and get sucked down the drain . Some of the hardier ones try and escape but I make sure they don't........

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #816
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Thanks to everyone for your offers to send ants, uncles, mosquitoes, and grasshoppers, but you can keep them.

I realy like the area we are in. Florida is flatter than a flounder on friday, but the area we are in in Corona is on the side of a mountain and we are surrounded by them and desert. It was 102 today, but the humidity was 11%. Better than a temp of 88 and humdity of 98%.

It was hot, but you didn't sweat to death. Sorry, just an observation.

I can get from Inland to the grocery store, laundry mat and back. Today I learned even more about the area. Garmen and mapquest are the best ways to get around.

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts, and words, the trip was adventureous, but we made it.

Sophie was very good on the trip, and she has Andy wrapped around her little paw, (along with everyone else who works and here), and gets along very well with the 4 legged crew.

So if you get out here, stop by and see us.

Marie
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #817
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Marie,

I am glad that you, Terry and Sophia made it to So Cal, with only a few challenges. I hope you enjoy So Cal, just wait until winter when the snow covers the mountains to the north. Absolutely beautiful.

It will cool down this weekend, but Corona is always warmer than Orange.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #818
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Marie,

I am glad that you, Terry and Sophia made it to So Cal, with only a few challenges. I hope you enjoy So Cal, just wait until winter when the snow covers the mountains to the north. Absolutely beautiful.

It will cool down this weekend, but Corona is always warmer than Orange.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. I'd rather have a cold Corona than a warm Orange, though...
Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #819
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Things I've noticed so far...

There are a few things I've seen, and that have made an impression on me, for one reason or another...
1- The local eating establishments need to hire better dishwashers. Nearly every place we've eaten at, I've had to request a clean glass, dish, silverware, or something to replace a dirty item. This is even at what I'd consider "good" restaurants.

2-The humidity is much lower here than in Florida. 101 degrees with 11% humidity doesn't feel as hot as 85, and 90+% humidity.

3- The seats in the truck still get just as hot here as they did in Florida . Asphalt seems hotter when lying on it in the sun.

4- When driving down the street, and you see a sign stating "caution: 11% grade" ahead, it would be a good idea to at least take your foot off the gas. That wasn't thunder y'all heard last night, that was the sonic boom from us going downhill...

5- There don't seem to be as many residents of New England states or Eastern Canadian provinces driving around here. I can't imagine why.

6- The pace of life seems faster here, but most everyone is friendlier, even if more in a hurry.

7- The local industrial gas place has some funny ideas about what ingredients comprise LP gas.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #820
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
There are a few things I've seen, and that have made an impression on me, for one reason or another...

4- When driving down the street, and you see a sign stating "caution: 11% grade" ahead, it would be a good idea to at least take your foot off the gas. That wasn't thunder y'all heard last night, that was the sonic boom from us going downhill...

5- There don't seem to be as many residents of New England states or Eastern Canadian provinces driving around here. I can't imagine why.

6- The pace of life seems faster here, but most everyone is friendlier, even if more in a hurry.

7- The local industrial gas place has some funny ideas about what ingredients comprise LP gas.

Terry,

You will soon learn that we have mountains in this state, the highest and lowest point in the continental US is in California.

We are somewhat laid back, especially when you leave the large city center ie, LA and SF.

Could you clarify the last item, please.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel