Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #533
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
...............we can't really say we are home, since we are towing it behind us).
There are advantages to a home with wheels, are there not?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #534
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We then climbed to the top of the fort, and snapped a couple more top-level views:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	St.Augustine 019.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	61674  

Old 06-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #535
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We then headed South on A1A, the beach road. Stopping for lunch at a place called the Sea Oat Caffe, I learned how to make Southern Sweet Tea, St.Augustine-style. Here's the recipe:
1-Take a 20 ounce tea glass
2-Fill 7/8 full of refined white sugar
3-Fill remainder with fresh-brewed tea
4-Stir well
5-Sweeten to taste...
I saw our server preparing the above, and changed my drink order to unsweetened...
We didn't actually witness anybody flying out of the restaraunt from the effects of a sweet-tea sugar buzz, but I did notice a couple of patrons vibrating in their chairs.
Weeeee..........
Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #536
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Next we headed down to Fort Matanzas, a very small, but critical fortification in the days of galleons and pirates.
The fort was saved from literally falling apart a few decades ago. and was winched back together, steel beams reinforced the original masonry, and preserved for future historians. We got to ride a boat over to the fort (it's on a small island in the middle of the intercoastal waterway, and the only access is by boat:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	St.Augustine 032.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	61675   Click image for larger version

Name:	St.Augustine 033.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	61676  

Name:	St.Augustine 034.JPG
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	61677   Click image for larger version

Name:	St.Augustine 035.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	61678  

Name:	St.Augustine 036.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	61679   Click image for larger version

Name:	St.Augustine 037.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	61680  

Name:	St.Augustine 038.JPG
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	61681   Click image for larger version

Name:	St.Augustine 039.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	61682  

Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #537
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Some of the photos above were taken from the roof of the fort, which I had to climb a steep vertical ladder to acquire. Here's a photo of the ladder from the top down, and a shot of the backside of the fort. The outward bow is all that remains from the fort's nearly disatrous slide into oblivion, now hopefully arrested for generations:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	St.Augustine 040.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	61683   Click image for larger version

Name:	St.Augustine 041.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	61684  

Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #538
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We ran out of time before getting to Marineland, but we enjoyed our outing immensely. We arrived back in town in time to pick up Sophie, and hauled her back to the campground.
After we got settled back in, I was outside grilling our steaks for dinner, when a park ranger stopped by. All he wanted was to know how the hell I got Bertha into our spot without destroying anything.
I have been asked if I was concerned that we would damage Bertha by dragging her into places like this (this is not the first time we've taken our trailer where others wouldn't dream).
My response is, as always, that these trailers are made for travel, and an occasional scratch or crease is part of the risk. To paraphrase John Paul Jones: It is a sturdy trailer, meant to go in adventure's way.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #539
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
^_^

Great Story, Guys!! Sorry but I seem to have missed any pictures of the two star tourists??? Sophie looks right at home. Wish we could have been there!

Thanks for all your climbing and crawling... I assume Marie was standing nearby with a heightened sense of awareness????

Phil & Edee
Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #540
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Terry and Marie,

Thanks for the virtual trip to one of my favorite places. The link I clicked on took me directly to post 537 and I immediately recognized Fort Matanzas. I remember that in the late 1980s, if you went east from the Bridge of the Lions in St Augustine till you got to the St john's river and turned south, there was a tiny campground near a boat ramp with free camping. There was a restroom with a shower, but I have never smelled such sulphur in the water.

I know where I want to go, back to St Augustine.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #541
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
Great Story, Guys!! Sorry but I seem to have missed any pictures of the two star tourists??? Sophie looks right at home. Wish we could have been there!

Thanks for all your climbing and crawling... I assume Marie was standing nearby with a heightened sense of awareness????

Phil & Edee
Nope, I had my back turned because he is okay for this type of shennagin (sp).

Sophie had a great day at the doggie day care, including being mommie to all of the puppies that were there. As usual, when we got there to get her they did not want to give her back! She even went swimming in the pool at the "resort".

I hope we can go back soon and spend more time because it was so relaxing.

Marie
Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #542
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Busy, busy, busy...

The last several days, I've taken care of a few things we wanted to update for one reason or another. One has been the overbed reading lights. They are incandescent, and when you turn them on, it's like having your own personal heat lamp, plus the bulbs themselves are power hogs.
So, I was perusing our favorite online auction site, trying to see what havoc I could wreak. I found a pair of single-tube Thinlites Airstream was offering up for a good buy-it-now price. I took a couple of measurements, and determined they would fit int he area I wanted them to with minor modifications. I bought them, and late this week, I got a box from Jackson Center. I puled them out, and verified the measurements. They are only very slightly larger than the dimensions stated, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to 98% of the people in the world. 98% of the people in the world, however, are not trying to make them fit into a vintage light fixture.
I removed the lens on both the Thinlites, and the reading lights. I removed the bulbs and sockets, and bent the ends of the Thinlites so they would fit in the reading light housing. The Thinlites both came with their own switches, which I left in place, and "on". This way, 1- if and when the switches on the reasding lights fail, I will have spares, and 2-I will know where said spares are, and know they will work for the lights, and 3-I won't have to store them somewhere, and maybe lose them.
I then wired in the Thinlites, and riveted them to the reading light fixtures from inside, and replaced the reading light lenses. The result was a pair of reading lights that run cooler, are brighter, and draw about 1/3 the power of the incandescents they replaced. Plus, the lights still look exactly as they did before I messed with them.
Here are a few pics of them:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	62003   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	62004  

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	62005   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	62006  

Old 06-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #543
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Next, I've been noticing that Bertha is very hot inside when I get home. Since June 1 is the official beginning of rainy season here (not that we've seen any yet), I've had to leave the Fantastic Vents closed in case of rain. We turn off the a/c during the day, since neither of us are home. We have to pay electric here, and I don't want the 34 year old a/c running needlessly.
However, every afternoon this week, it's been 100 degrees or more in the trailer when I get home. The outdoor temps are in the mid-to-high 90's, but this is over and above the outdoor temps. So, I gave our friends at Fantastic a calls, and asked them to send me an upgrade kit. This will make our "create -a-breeze" into a 6000RBT series fan. This has a thermostat and rain sensor. I spent about 45 minutes this morning installing the kit in our center fan. It was a clean install, and now I can leave the fan on, set to, say 95 degrees, and it will open the vent and turn the fan on when the temp inside exceeds that. It will also close the vent when it rains. We'll see how successful it is when I go to work on Tuesday...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005.JPG
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	62007  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #544
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Nice upgrades. I have been thinking about replacing the bulbs with tubes in our trailer as well. When we had a pop up I replaced the main light with a double tube. It used less power, produced no noticeable heat and was a much better light for reading.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #545
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Nice upgrades. I have been thinking about replacing the bulbs with tubes in our trailer as well. When we had a pop up I replaced the main light with a double tube. It used less power, produced no noticeable heat and was a much better light for reading.
I grabbed a photo of it from Airstream. It is a single 15 watt tube in each one. The first ones were so easy to modify and use, I tried to get the other two that were available, but someone else got them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thinlite.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	62018  
Old 06-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #546
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Overlander63 goes to Camping World

It seems the weekend's upgrades aren't over yet. I went to Camping World to pick up a jug of blue smelly stuff for the black tank...but I can never resist a sale...
We now have a 20# LP cylinder for our outdoor Coleman grill/stove, a new FloJet water pump for the fresh water system, and a pair of Maxx-Air vent covers, in smoke color.
I got the tank purged and filled on the way home, and after arriving, I again climbed on the roof to install the covers. One is mounted facing front on the original vent in the bathroom, and covers the Solardome I got from Inland Andy, the other is mounted facing rear on the front Fantastic vent. I'm not crazy about not being able to open the front Fantastic all the way now, but I can at least leave the outer two open, and let the middle Fantastic with the thermostat and rain sensor pull and push air as needed.
The water pump is to replace the original Par belt-driven pump that hasn't worked in years, maybe decades. It's really buried under the kitchen cabinets, I'm going to have to play contortionist to get in there and replace it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	62019   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	62020  

Name:	008.JPG