Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #351
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
That's great news Terry.

It's nice when things start coming back together again. It's not like you've not paid your dues and then some these past couple of years.

Barry

Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #352
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The Refrigerator Follies, part 2

Those of you that are long-time readers of my little diatribe here have probably noticed we had some issues with our new fridge. Namely, the fridge box stops getting cold. I replaced the cooling unit back in November, and the fridge has worked flawlessly since-- until last Thursday night. Marie poured a glass of milk, and the blobs of curds came dumping out all over the counter. The fridge part has failed again, and this time, the freezer isn't much better. The fridge is at about 60 degrees, and the freezer is between 20-32 degrees.
A quick call to the place we got the fridge from ("Again? What the hell are you doing to them? Drinking the ammonia?") and they were planning on bringing a new fridge down to us, and helping me install it. From Illinois. Talk about customer service! The fridge guy has an ulterior motive, he is retiring at the end of the month, and wants to move to Florida, so he's taking advantage of this opportunity to come down and look around for a house while he's here.
Unfortunately, they seem to be in the process of being snowed in, so he doesn't think he will be able to get down here in time to help us. They are sending the new fridge down, and when they get dug out of the snow, he'll head down, and pick up the old one for failure analysis later. He says the important thing is to get us a fridge that works reliably, and I agree with that. Replacing spoiled food can get expensive.
This is something to consider when making a major purchase from out of your area, how will they service their product if you have problems with it?
Anyway, I am supposed to call him Wednesday, and he'll let me know when to expect a large truck to deliver a fridge. Another problem, where are they going to send it? There is no loading dock at the RV park. I live for this stuff...
Stay tuned till next time, for another exciting episode of "As The Stomache Churns."

Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #353
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
another exciting episode of "As The Stomache Churns."
Well, it's no wonder since you keeping eating that old fridge food.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #354

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Fresh from the fridge

Hey Grandpa, Whats for supper?

Sprouts--
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #355
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The fridge follies, part 3...

Since the guy that I got our fridge from is in the process of retiring, and his warranty will (obviously) be no good after he closes his doors. So, we have a quandary. If we get the replacement fridge, how long will it last before also going belly-up? A year? 6 months? 3 months (again)?
While I'm kind of handy, and good with tools, I really don't want to get NASCAR-like practice at changing out refrigerators, not to mention throwing away spoiled food if it again goes south on us.
I was made an offer of a brand-new unit nearly identical to our refurbed fridge, with a factory Dometic warranty (3 year), serviceable at any Dometic repair facility, rather than the one-man show we got our present one from.
So, do I roll the dice again with a rebuilt replacement fridge, or do I bite the bullet and get a brand-new unit for about the cost of the one we have now? I will be buying twice, as the point of refunds is long past, plus I will then have a rebuilt fridge, for all intents and purposes new, with no place to put it, and not wanting to throw away a probably good working unit.
If I pass on the deal for the new fridge, a replacement unit if and when the replacement fails would run about $1200-1300 shipped or picked up, including taxes, and if I buy now, it is $750, free delivery to Sarasota Fairgrounds next week.
Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #356
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Terry

Can you resell the one that needs repair once that is complete and recoup some of your money? If this were me and one rebuild was unsuccessful I'd be taking the new one with the warranty.

Tough decision, but I'm not a huge fan of rebuilts after my own frustrating experiences.

Barry
Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #357
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Terry,
It's an election year so here's my vote.
Go for the new fridge with the warranty and sell the replacement rebuilt fridge on the classifieds or ebay "as is".

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #358
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Terry

Can you resell the one that needs repair once that is complete and recoup some of your money? If this were me and one rebuild was unsuccessful I'd be taking the new one with the warranty.

Tough decision, but I'm not a huge fan of rebuilts after my own frustrating experiences.

Barry
I'm thinking along the same lines. Get the factory-new unit, and when the replacement fridge arrives, offer it up for sale or trade to help defray the cost of the new unit.
The jury is still out, but I am currently wieghing my options, which currently look like partially thawed frozen steaks in one hand, and a new fridge in the other...
Old 02-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #359
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Oh, by the way, the fridge is coming directly from Airstream. There would be no reason for it not to fit, and I can get it service at Camping World, or any Airstream dealer, or any RV dealer, for that matter (thinking ahead to our future travels) When I go for new, I don't mess around...
Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #360
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Terry.... wow... I know I LOVE things that have a 3 year warrantee!! Are you keeping good notes on all this?? You'll make a million$$$ when they make it into a movie! How far are you guys from Plant City, FL again????
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #361
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Edee
Terry.... wow... I know I LOVE things that have a 3 year warrantee!! Are you keeping good notes on all this?? You'll make a million$$$ when they make it into a movie! How far are you guys from Plant City, FL again????
Mapquest syas we are 35 miles away, downtown to downtown.
If I tried to write a book about our adventures, no one would publish it, it would be too unbelieveable.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #362

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Terry,
It's an election year so here's my vote.
Go for the new fridge with the warranty and sell the replacement rebuilt fridge on the classifieds or ebay "as is".
In Ebay terms that's "Worked great the last time we used it"
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #363
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
. . . If I tried to write a book about our adventures, no one would publish it, it would be too unbelieveable.
But it sure would be a great read.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #364
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
In Ebay terms that's "Worked great the last time we used it"
Or, "purchased but never installed"...
Anybody need a nearly-new fridge?