Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bradenton , Florida
the first small steps

Hello folks,

Like a lot of you, I got the idea of life on the road and all the adventure and catastrophies that go with it.

My idea came from an old Ry Cooder Abum Cover. I used it to separate the seeds from the stems, as it was the only flat space around.

That was forty years ago and I have recently gone through the changes that have enabled me to purchase my first airstream and tow vehicle.

For those of you wanting information on how to do it, I can only show you the forum and it's waiting gang of friendly folks who are around with their ideas and opinions, just waiting for someone to ask a question....

I am going full time. Having rid myself of property and having the family grow up around me. I am from the West Coast and am planning on getting back there eventually. Found out that a small spot near the pacific ocean, does not exist.

Okay, just switch gears a little more inland and near some interesting geographical areas. Trade one large influence for another, perhaps, smaller one.

On my first foray into finding a spot for the trailer, I ran into a bunch of information that did not meet my requirements. For the record, if you do not want a bunch of folks from Ohio, or Michigan, waking you up every morning, because they are on vacation and in a hurry to get to the pool, do not consider an "RV RESORT". I looked at one near where my home used to be and found out that Feb and March were $1500. a month.

I was getting worried, as I had just paid for the truck and the trailer and was just now getting around to finding a place to keep it for the few months before I took off on the big jump west.

I am doing this whole, forced retirement, thing, on the down low. Meaning, I signed up for early social security. Got plans for making money where I can, using what I know. At least, until that does not work.

After talking to the lady from the "Resort", who was driving me around the property in a golf cart, I was able to explain that I was not really a "Resort" kind of guy. I had a dog and other things in my life that did not fit into the activitites options of the park.

She mentioned another site to me. An answer to a question that I had asked one of her cohorts, the day before. He did not have the answer, my new friend/park assistant did.

So, instead of paying $700 a month until Dec 15th, and who knows how much after. They have rates that go to $1500 and up for Feb and March. I took the advice I was given and talked to the nice folks at a quiet little RV campground.

Bottom line is $350 a month and $450 if you want them to pay the electric for you. You go over and they show you the bill. Water and sewer included with wifi in the restraurant. Comcast basic for $22.50 a month.

The good thing is that the place is on the Braden River and is two miles from a Publix and all the trimmings.

I have only looked at it in the daylight and the chances are that it will turn into something special near sunset.

I move in to the trailer and the park on Friday, July 1. I have only backed the trailer up once and have never spent a night in it. I hope to have my loins girded and an open mind.

Steve
steve206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
I am right after you as soon as I get the 65 back together.
Interesting how much our stories match new airstream, recent early ret. kids grown,going out into that vast land out there on minimal funds and working where one can.
What a great adventure in store!Best of luck and safe trailering.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote