Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Our dream......keep us posted. good luck, and safe travels.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
Kristin,

Yeah - what *you* said :-)

My husband of 8 1/2 months and I have, much like you, made the decision to full-time as well. After 2 years of dreaming of extended vacations in a boat or RV decided that as long as we're still working like we do (Ron in particular), we'll never have those extended vacations. After many serious conversations (and an impulse of mine while hubster was napping), we are now the proud owners of a 2011 27FB International Serenity. The joke is that we've done everything ass backwards. Bought the RV first. Oops, better buy a tow vehicle. Oh no - best to sell everything we own, including Ron's business, to afford new said purchases and a FT lifestyle ;-)

We are hoping to shove out of Sarasota, FL as soon as Ron's pool business sells. We'll head west or north depending on the time of year - but it sounds like we have a similar itinerary. My goal would be to travel the perimeter of the lower 48 and once north zig-zag in and out of Canada. Start and end in Florida. If we love it and can sustain ourselves financially, we'll plan another interior route.

For me there never has been a "norm"; however, my very practical and level-headed husband has been steady-Eddie -- I guess as a pair we create a zen-like balance. We are both super excited about the adventure ahead of us. Worried a little about finances, but we'll be essentially debt free when we begin and take odd jobs as we can. If you have a blog, I would love to be able to follow your adventures. I have registered one, but haven't posted anything yet (www.airstreamFT.blogspot.com). Perhaps our paths will cross while we're streaming across the country.

Safe travels and hurray for making your dream a reality!

Karis

Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Full-Timing , All states!
Thanks everyone! I especially love Brain's "I am going to re-read this over and over to my wife."

Karis, congratulations on making the leap too! I'd love to follow your adventures. Ours will be documented on our blog at Blog | Boondock Marketing and on our business' Facebook page, if you want to follow us: Boondock Marketing.

My husband has never lived in one place for more than a couple years, so it was inevitable that we'd do something like this after three years in one city. I always had the same wanderlust, but acted on it by taking eccentric road trips with friends and cramming as much into a week of vacation as I could.

I'm so ready to hit the open road with no real agenda, no seedy hotels, and no time limit. We'd love to meet you guys at some point. Let me know when you take off and even if you haven't left yet, we'll be in Florida this winter and stop to say hello!
Previously owned a 1965 Overlander, fully renovated it, then sold it after a year of full-time travel. We're taking a break from trailers to try a class A for a while, but we're still Airstreamers at heart!
Our blog | Video tour of our trailer
KristinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Kristin-

Congratulations on new adventures, and hope all goes well.. One of secret best parts of Forum and Airstreaming is you actually do have a lot of friends around the US you haven't actually met yet.. When you finally greet them face-to-face, it takes about 3 minutes to be settled in as long-term friends..

Just wanted to add a voice of encouragement to ignore the "Are you nuts??" commentators, who are probably more envious than they let on.. Nuts is a relative term. In addition, if there is anything in need of practice it is your combined sense of humor, since the old story is true that experience helps avoid mistakes, but mistakes are the source of experience.. Stuff is going to happen and things will go wrong, but they are just credits in learning ledger, and eventually a great humorous story to tell.. Safe travels, and enjoy the ride!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
What a great post! I retire in May and since my wife wants to continue working and in all honesty we have one in college and one a senior in high school, I will be making short month long trips alone. I suspect her priorities will change when we become empty nesters, the house becomes big and she will be willing to sell the house and climb aboard our 90 Excella, now a work in progress.

I showed her your post as a nudge to breaking tradition.

Good luck in your travels. It sure sounds great to me.
Doug and Lori
Fresno
1990 25' Excella
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Sarasota , Florida
Loving your website/blog Kristin - I'm inspired to get mine going now!

Are you and Jason registered for the CanOpener Rally in TopSail in January? Ron and I registered even before we had officially bought our baby. More than likely we'll stick around Florida and the Carolina's until after that weekend, so no doubt we'll be in meet-up range to compare stories. I look forward to following you guys in your adventures. I already have some questions for you :-)

Karis
Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
We're not far behind

I am retiring for a second time soon. My wife Judy and I are going to put everything in storage in April 2014 and hit the road for a year in our 1958 Flying Cloud. Congratulations on your decision.
Our first leg is a trip from Central Oregon Coast follow 101 south to hit a Vintage trailer meet in Pismo Beach CA.

Then San Diego. And Colorado. Then head to east coast. Whant to see the henry Ford Museum and the Airstream Factory (Mother Ship). We will winter on the Gulf Coast somewhere. That is as far as we have planned. But then again we my go to Baja CA for the winter.

Good Luck
Dick
Old 07-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Full-Timing , All states!
Condoluminum - Thanks for your input! I couldn't agree more about the sense of humor being essential. Our first trip alone we forgot many important things and had to improvise in ways that we'll be laughing about for years. Our refrigerator stopped working the second day out, so we just had a bigger BBQ than originally planned and invited friends from other campsites. Finding new ways to do things you take for granted in a home is so much fun.

colld014 - Good luck getting out on the road more! Hopefully we cross paths someday and then you won't be camping alone!

AirKar - We haven't registered, no. I would like to go to a rally, but we're hesitant to make any firm plans to be in a place on a certain date until we've been out on the road a while. We will likely be in Florida for January though, so if we can make it that direction we may see if there are any spots available. As far as questions go, ask away! Send me a PM and we can swap email addresses. Ditto for if you need any help setting up your website. It's what we do for a living, so we'd be happy to offer some advice.

COLONEL - That sounds amazing! Maybe our paths will cross at some point. I've never seen an Airstream older than ours in person and would love to get a look at yours!
Previously owned a 1965 Overlander, fully renovated it, then sold it after a year of full-time travel. We're taking a break from trailers to try a class A for a while, but we're still Airstreamers at heart!
Our blog | Video tour of our trailer
KristinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
OMG I am so glad I found this post LOL... Kay and I are doing the same thing! We have rented out our home and leased out (perhaps sold our business) and will be hitting the road in January after running our hunting preserve one last season. We will be traveling with our 3 English cockers in our 25 ft Excella. Our first stop will be in the warmth of the Florida Keys, no boondocking there, but I need to thaw out for at least a few months on a beach... then when we leave FL we plan on either hanging a Left and into the mts. of New Mexico or up into the mts of Tennessee.
We have for many years worked 60 plus hrs a week operating a 300 acre hunting preserve. While it has been wonderful and we have made 1000's of friends we feel it is our time - our time to not worry about others having the ultimate outdoor experience... If any of you folks on the same quest should need a stop over we have 1 gravel site with 30 amp & water and 2 or 3 dry camping areas that you are welcome to use (even if sold we have retained life time use of all the land)...We are in Western NY between Buffalo & Rochester and just 30 mi from Niagara Falls and Canada... Our Location is very rural with nearest neighbor over half a mile away yet only 3 miles from town...
This post just makes me feel like "I'm not crazy" Good luck to all and I hope we meet along the trail...
All the Best and feel free to keep in touch!
Joe & Kay in the Silver Slipper