Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Boulder , Colorado
Tell us the truth -are we crazy?

My husband and I are looking at going back to school for a total of 4 years between us. These four years will be followed by a few years filled with many moves due to my husband's chosen career. As we think about what the best plan will be for the two of us and the family that we hope to have one day, we're considering moving out of our expensive apartment and in to an Airstream.

If we sell everything of value that we own, we're looking at being able to purchase something in the 3,000-4,000 range. We want to renovate the inside so that it will be comfortable for two people, two cats, and a rabbit (long story) to live in full-time. We're thinking hardwood floors, composting toilet, etc.

Given that we're homebodies who are looking at moving several times in the coming years, we're thinking that it would be ideal if we could invest in a home that we could take with us. Given that our current rent is 1,200 we're thinking that it may even possibly save us money.

We would love to hear from some people with experience--are we crazy? Will this be an energetic and financial drain? Or is the idea actually as good as it sounds?
ahweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
What an adventure! A few things to think about:
1. Even if you are planning on taking the inside aluminum out and putting new insulation in, an Airstream is probably not the warmest place to be in cold winters, unless you can move south for the winter.
2. Do you have someplace to put the trailer while you are working on it?
3. The cheaper the trailer, more than likely the more work you will need to put into it to make it livable. The more work it needs, the more tools and materials you will need, and those costs can quickly add up.
4. If you are both in school with jobs, every spare moment will be taken up by working on your Airstream if you are to finish before your four years of schooling are done. I really mean every spare moment.

So yes, you are probably crazy...but everyone here is a little nuts themselves. It will be an energy and money drain? Big time! Weigh the risk/reward ratio for yourself. For me, living in an Airstream was a major priority and I was willing to make some big sacrifices for it. If it is just a passing fancy and having an Airstream is not as important as saving money, get a white box trailer that is in livable shape for that kind of money.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahweeks View Post
My husband and I are looking at going back to school for a total of 4 years between us. These four years will be followed by a few years filled with many moves due to my husband's chosen career. As we think about what the best plan will be for the two of us and the family that we hope to have one day, we're considering moving out of our expensive apartment and in to an Airstream.
I am not aware of any stories of people full-timing successfully with young children. In general, there isn't enough space. The people I know who work fair/festival/circus/carnival type circuits, who have kids, don't do it all year, have other parents with kids traveling with them, and generally stay in locations that have some sort of extra space that they can use at least part of the day.

Quote:
If we sell everything of value that we own, we're looking at being able to purchase something in the 3,000-4,000 range.
That's enough to buy a basket case, as long as you already have something to tow it with.

Quote:
We want to renovate the inside so that it will be comfortable for two people, two cats, and a rabbit (long story) to live in full-time. We're thinking hardwood floors, composting toilet, etc.
Typical renovations, starting with basket case $3000-$4000 airstreams, take about a year and cost $20,000.

Composting toilets are a poor fit for Airstreams because of the space they require and the fact that disposal of greywater is usually the most serious wastwater problem when boondocking.

Quote:
Given that we're homebodies who are looking at moving several times in the coming years, we're thinking that it would be ideal if we could invest in a home that we could take with us. Given that our current rent is 1,200 we're thinking that it may even possibly save us money.
Airstreams are many things but they are not an inexpensive lifestyle. Consider tow vehicle purchase and maintenance, fuel, and site rental costs.

In most areas it is not possible to boondock for free for an extended period with there being some exceptions in sparsely populated states well away from population centers and tourist attractions, e.g. parts of Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, North Dakota, South Dakota.

Quote:
We would love to hear from some people with experience--are we crazy? Will this be an energetic and financial drain? Or is the idea actually as good as it sounds?
You don't have the money lined up. With an Airstream the cheapest way to play the game is to look at 1980s-era trailers that have been cared for and kept inside so that they don't require any major work. Those can be picked up fairly easily for $10,000-$20,000. For planning purposes figure on getting a tow vehicle 10 years old or less. Off asphalt you'll need a 3/4 ton 4wd truck, van or Suburban, check prices yourself but in most parts of the country you'll see prices starting around $15,000.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Listen to what the Jammer says....

and add the fact that it is almost impossible to live in AS while it is being renovated.

I have renovated a classic motorhome and a 31' trailer (see tags in signature line). I can attest that a rebuild is incredibly expensive and takes a long, long time.

Living space for two is adequate, barely.

I have spent many, many weekends in mine, sometimes with Mary and the pups, sometime by myself. I have also lived in it (mostly by myself) for two three month stints, and currently in Houston for the last six months - alone, but returning to TAHI on most weekends.

It's a great work platform for temporary (and cheap) housing since returning to the Houston work force after retirement.

Life for two in a trailer? It can be done, but you just about HAVE to be in a sewerage dumping environment for full time living....and electricity.

Good luck on your decision, I would suggest you purchase a "livable" unit and try it out for a while. If you purchase wisely you should be able to flip it if it does not work for the two of you without losing too much money.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Some of your idea is fine, some is not going to work. On a $4000 budget, you can't buy and refurbish an Airstream realistically. But all is not lost. You can buy a unit that is liveable for that price. Maybe it will be an Airstream, if you have great luck, or maybe it will be some other brand (SOB).

I don't think we should all pour cold water on the idea. It's doable, but not as dreamy as you might like. I think for what you have in mind - "trailer life" might be perfect - at least for the adults. Bringing small babies into a trailer that is small, old, used? I dunno. I'm not a baby guy - never had one. Me, wife and small dog in a 25 footer is about as much as I could handle.

Most adventures are made possible by human will. It can be done.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
You'd have to be extremely lucky to find an Airstream for $4000 that's not a complete disaster. However, if you'd be able to up your budget to perhaps $16-20, then this could become a possibility. As Jammer said above, look for trailer from the 1980's. We bought our 1984 34' International for $19,000. Even though it was in excellent condition, no leaks, everything working, we still spent another $12k on renovating it. New floors, new upholstery, new beds, painting the interior. Unless you can do most of the work yourself, it soon adds up.

Composting toilets work extremely well these days and hardly use any more space than a regular toilet - we'll be installing one in our trailer next spring. Check out Nature's Head for details. However, keep in mind that a composting toilet alone will set you back $1000, including installation.

Winter living, there are a number of people on this forum who live in their trailer all year, in cold climes - one up in Alaska. It can be done, but it takes preparation and a willingness to put up with certain restrictions. You might, for example, not have running water in the trailer and shower at the gym. Condensation is another issue living in an aluminum tube during cold weather. If your travels take you to northern climes a heavily insulated white box trailer might just be the better option.

For full time living, keep in mind that in most places you can't just park a trailer in a friend's driveway of backyard and call it home - there's typically ordinances about that kind of thing. Which leaves you with either paying park fees, boondocking which is mostly very out of the way, or hoping you won't get caught if you do have a friend who's willing to let you park at the bottom of the garden. Of course, all of this is easier in a rural environment.

Think it through, up your budget and see where it takes you. There are many people out there successfully fulltiming, there are also families with thriving kids.

I hope it works out for you guys.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If it were me. I would look for an Arctic Fox or Nash trailer. Used of course. They are more suited for living in the colder climates as well as warmer ones.
I know it's an SOB. Even if you had to make payments. There are a lot of RV parks around, especially in the southern part of the country. Where you can rent a FULL HOOKUP space for $500 or less a month. Given that you are now paying $1,200. There could be room for a modest payment on a better trailer.
All RV's are what I would consider HIGH maintenance. Especially if they are moved around a lot.
Also there is the TV.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Will this be an energetic and financial drain?
Yes.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
....snip........

we're thinking that it may even possibly save us money.
"Save us money" and "RV" often ( usually ) do not go together, when you look at the overall picture.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
You are crazy :-)

My wife and I have 2 large dogs and 1 cat. I am finishing off my Doctoral degree here in Colorado Springs, and she just finished her BSN (Nursing). We don't have kids....yet. And we just purchased a 2012 27FB Airstream- newer, as School / work / Family take up all our time. I did the COMPLETE renovation thing on our last home- not a good thing while working, school, family, fulltime.

As another poster mentioned jokingly but true- "Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time." Not saying you need to buy a new. But when you buy your airstream, you have to have funds for: Taxes, Insurance, Tow Vehicle, Hitches, AS stock, pans, gas, propane, ladder, septic stuff, surge protector, electric cables, etc. And this is before you even start to fix it up!!!

With this all said, my wife and I are going to try full-timing here within the next month. I have an opportunity where my work will be remote from home, so why not live and work out of the airstream for awhile. Not sure it will work, but we are going to keep our rental home short-term and see. We are fortunate enough right now in our lives to be financially able to try this adventure.

Jason
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you are going to be in one place for several months at a time you might be better off with something like a 5th wheel. If you are going to be moving every week or so then I would consider an Airstream. Airstreams are in their element when on the road. I lived in a 27 ft 5th wheel in college. My 31 ft Airstream is about the same size though. But there was just me and no cats. The times in the 5th wheel were some of the worst times of my life because it was a cheap run down trailer park with scary neighboors. Make sure you find a nice trailer park. You would be better to find a private lot somewhere and stay away from parks. By parks I mean the trashy type and not the resort type parks.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Yep. Crazy.

You've romanticized an idea that is very problematic in a practical sense. Forgo the aethetic for now and focus on cheap.

Good luck on re-organizing your life! Downsizing is definitely in order considering the info you've given us, but I'd do it in a more practical (and cheaper) way, as others have suggested. Good luck!
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Adding to the above, an Airstream is a three season trailer. It will not work for extended periods below freezing temps. The plumbing will freeze up, the windows will condense moisture and drip inside the walls to rot the wood floor, the heater isn't adequate to to keep you warm when the temp drops.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #14

Currently Looking...
Boulder , Colorado
Wow! Thanks everybody for all of your responses! I want to clarify a few points, in case it will change the rest of your answers from this point out.

I don't think we'll be raising children in the unit, I was just thinking that might possibly be better for our financial future if we weren't paying rent for the next 5-7 years. A couple of people said that it is not an inexpensive way to go, but would it be less expensive than living in an apartment, once everything was put together to a point that we could live in it?

I think that more stationary units are not a consideration for us, based on the fact that we want to be able to tow it with us when we move from place to place. And as far as mobile units go, I'm in love with the look of the Airstream. I'm an artist, and aesthetics are extremely important to me. I want to be able to love coming home every day, especially if we're going to challenge ourselves by living in cramped quarters.

We do already have a towing vehicle, for the time being at least.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Boulder , Colorado
Also, we do have a free place to live while we fix it up. Thank goodness!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Old Full Timer, New Perspective

I recently was in a wreck and totaled my 2006 Safari and my 2008 Silverado 2500. Had REALLY good insurance. Now have a new 2013 Ford F150 Ecoblast and a 2012 Eddie Bauer 25. And to buy them after the $50K depreciation hit I took on the insurance payout PLUS the increased prices of both... I have loan payments I didn't have before. Only Good news - interest rates are low now.

Now, this is the outside event and God willing I will never have another wreck, but it is a real "smack in the face" reality check about saving money with an RV (especially an Airstream which either has a high price tag (new/nearly new) or high repair costs (vintage). If I had decided to sell them and go back to "sticks and bricks" the cost would have been likely to be about the same.

When I was going to college and for the first few years of my career I lived in "substandard housing" - most of which was just great for me. One apartment was old servants quarters over a 3 car garage, a second was an attic on a big 3 floor walkup, a third was an efficiency with a fold up bed. None had good insulation in winter or good A/C in summer (window units only). None had a pool, tennis courts, reserved parking in a garage or game rooms, party rooms, etc. In fact all were old houses that had been subdivided.

You've identified that an Airstream might save you money on a month to month basis - but to get those savings you'd have to sacrifice 80% of your living space. Couldn't you do the same by renting a converted two car garage? Also perhaps there might be an older person or couple would give very low rent in exchange for lawn and garden work... and just having a person to check on them daily and take them shopping weekly.

Truth: I really like my new Eddie Bauer - and I had NO idea what a sensation it would create at a local campground. Popped the rear hatch to start working on curtains for a custom screen room and drew a crowd that lasted for about 45 minutes. But - I don't have a husband, or children or anyone I like well enough to want to pass great wealth onto.... so I am pleasing myself while I'm healthy enough to do so. I don't want the heavy maintenance of owning a house - the Airstream is plenty. And I can say I'm saving money - as long as nothing bad happens like another wreck. But that COULD BE living on borrowed time.

If I were in your place? I'd look at buying some land and building a "Tiny House" Warning watch out for the zoning wonks! In the words of Will Rogers "Buy land, they ain't making any more of the stuff." Land values will go up over the long run.

Good luck... you ARE thinking and more importantly you AREN'T isolating yourselves from asking about unpleasant realities. You are on the right track. Let me suggest that you sit down and do a detailed budget EACH. Then jointly review what is a "want" versus a "need". You can have anything you want if you're willing to give up enough other stuff. Find out - can you live without cable (usually about $100+ per month). How much internet access do you really need? Are you actually prepared to start buying clothing at thrift stores - huge savings! Do you have skills that can make some side money? Detailing cars, sewing and altering clothing, hanging wallpaper?

I have a couple of friends who recently realized that they could join a city parks and recreation center for $65 per year... and they'd been paying $170 (plus bar tabs) per month to belong to a private tennis and swim club. The private club is a place to meet and greet - but they were just nuts that liked to swim laps in the pool. The city facility is clean and well kept - no booze allowed - and you won't meet the "right people" there, but... $2000 less a year!

Paula
Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Jammers comments would echo my own, particularly

You don't have the money lined up. With an Airstream the cheapest way to play the game is to look at 1980s-era trailers that have been cared for and kept inside so that they don't require any major work. Those can be picked up fairly easily for $10,000-$20,000. For planning purposes figure on getting a tow vehicle 10 years old or less. Off asphalt you'll need a 3/4 ton 4wd truck, van or Suburban, check prices yourself but in most parts of the country you'll see prices starting around $15,000.

My "all in" cost was just under $30k. Another 10-20 is needed to bring an older TT up to par, and a pretty fair amount to stay ahead of the maintenance/repair curve on a now ten year old truck.

RV park rent has been low, overall ($350/month plus electric; annual average of around $450), but this is dependent on many factors. About as cheap as I ever expect to see . . and while my neighbors are okay, a problem faced by the owner could change that in a hurry (have seen it happen in apartments and in neighborhoods).

I would say don't expect big savings, but to use the combined rig well. Travel some, just for pleasure. Having done a lot of that in times past sets off extended stays at one place or another, and helps in motivating work to be done . . like the A/C replacement I had to do last week in 115F heat index temps on a metal roof. It wouldn't take many nights in a motel to change the equations you may be working with. Add in 30-days of that per annum to get a number you can work with for last minute accommodations.

We hope that renovations and repairs will happen on our schedule, but they may not. And, unlike a house where I can buy a window unit if a central A/C system fails, this is not an option in this TT type. Etc.

You can, but you have to really want to do things this way for it to feel successful. And I'd say that is more important than just figurin' the numbers.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #18
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I just bought an 85 31' Excella. $10,900. Immediately it cost $750 for the Natures Head with $300 installation. You can do that yourself probably. The registration (with sales tax) was about $400. Insurance to haul it home $240.00 There were two small leaks up in front which I found when I ripped the carpet out. Then came about 100 hours on here trying to figure out how to seal seams which is not done yet (still trying to figure out how to do the roof work. At least there is a good extension ladder on the ranch), do a moisture barrier, figure out skirting for winter, scrub down the walls and paint. Paint is going to cost $65 a gallon if you go for the low VOC good stuff like Benjamin Moore Aura. Scrubbing down all the walls and rinsing, sanding and taping before painting. Once you do the scrubbing part, ,you will want to use only good paint. Not that much fun. Days and days. I had imagined that money and time would go for a bamboo floor!

None of this includes any of the structural stuff you are going to find in a $4,000 trailer. Or appliances, etc. It was a miracle I figured out by myself that a mid 80s trailer would be the best bet. Smaller mistakes are better like buying the wrong $65 paint. Only one gallon! Just figured that out on here last night.

At first I was asking questions about how things work, but have filed away all the responses because I have to get the Airstream painted while the weather is still warm. I have ranch dogs that need to be brushed, nails trimmed and horses that need attention also. We are heading into haying season so I have to deal with that, too. I live on a remote ranch with no running water, so I have to haul my water with added need to get the AS done. I'm out here by myself so I don't have to cook or any of that and the house is pretty much a swamp at this point. I already had my good F350 Powerstroke I use on the ranch.

That's how it's going for me. It's possible, but if I was in school and needing time to study, I don't think I'd want to take the risk! I was always fanatical about my grades. On the other hand, there are two of you and only one of me with all the 4 leggeds. I lived in Alaska during the old pipeline days in a Wilderness 5th wheel so I know it can be done without an upgraded 4 season kind of trailer. But I was married to a pipefitter then so if everything blew up, it was no big deal! Never happened, thank God. GOOD LUCK!
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
I have been living full=time in a stationery AS. Next month will be the one year anniversary. I am loving it.
Over a year ago, when i started researching and shopping, I didn't know i wanted an AS. I had never been in one. Then I stepped into my first one and it felt like coming home. Unlike the other SOB's I felt i could make an AS my own space. Put my own mark on it. Yes, the "brass accents, oak veneer and puffy velour upholstery" as someone else on here so perfectly described other SOB's had really put me off.

I can't speak to your finances, but if you love the looks and feel of an AS, I say go for it. I have not regretted my move.

Good Luck!
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote