Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we don't full time, but our 25'er is just right for my wife and I and one little dog. In answer to your question the best Airstream for full timing is an Airstream and tow vehicle that are fully paid for.
Bob, this basic recommendation is so easily and often lost in the "what is best?" discussions. We also believe budget is the starting point. And the great experiences of travel is the goal.

doug

Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have had a lot of discussion for even weeks at a time trips let alone full timing and have decided that we will go ahead and jump from the 25FB to a model 30 Classic, bypassing the 27FB Classic we thought we could make work. The incremental cost before the building of a new unit is much less than the hit from trading a unit on a larger one in the near future.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Went to local RV show this weekend in Raleigh and after seeing what seems like a thousand SOB we were about to head out when a couple we had been talking with at lunch said they had seen the AS;s and yes they were nice indeed..

so this couple we were sitting with at lunch was saying they has a trailer some year ago but had sold it due to non use.. They were looking for something smaller, i think he said they had a 31 with slides before, so we mentioned we were just looking and wanted to get an Airstream.. He was suprized to hear the name and ask " they still make them??" I told him they were most likely the only RV manufacture still in continues business since 1936 or so i told him..

So were coming out of another lookalike SOB and happened to see them at which the lady from lunch remarked about seeing the AS's. We asked where they were located and went straight there..

the area was packed with people some wided eyed and visions of alum in there future and other mumbling about the price and how you could buy 3 other brand for the same money..

We rambled around the area talking with the son of the owner i think who was there unable to keep up with questions from all the lookers.. it was great..

SO... now to my question...

one thing we noticed was the amount of front bedroom units and wondered which was better and why.. I would think a rear bed was quieter away from the road as it seem a lot of RV parks are back in.

so i guess my question is the pro's and cons.. one pro i hear for front was the power jack at hitch help reduce movement in bed..

we toured the 25FB international sterling model and loved it, just wanted that in a rear bed model with same set up..

oh well
Hello,

Couldn't resist the temptation to respond.
We have a "30" and just love it. Instead of a TV mounted near the dinette, we have a 26" portable ( satellite enabled) sitting on the top of the furniture piece forward of the dinette. The openness of the "living room" is most enjoyable. ( Monday night football!)

Bedroom is roomy enough. We installed a "Sleep Number" bed ....much better than the factory "pad"...

Central bathroom gives us plenty of "maneuver room" in the main corridor...tends to negate the "tunnel effect"...

Closet....smallish, but we adapted and don't need as much hanging space as we once thought.

Full timers......I don't think so...not now...We already spend about 4 months a year in our AS and enjoy every minute!

We once had a fifth wheel....weighed 15K, was 13'6" high and required a dually for towing...no thanks. The fiver required too much propane to heat, not enough ambient light, and minimal cross air ventilation--we were like spelunkers....cave explorers. ( we were in Redding Calif last week= 99 degrees--no ac needed in the AS , only fans and open windows ...lovely.)

When in doubt...go for more room. ( we didn't think we could tolerate the length of a 34'.)

Hope this helps....Zigi...
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

I would round it off with access to storage. Some floorplans have less storage for a given size AND may make it hard to get to things used more than seasonally.

At this point the only inside of a Avion we've seen are in pictures. wife's perception is rear bathroom has more storage. We do understand you're locked into twin beds with the rear bathroom. We've also seen the side kitchen versus front kitchen layout. Some insight into rear versus side bathroom and other layout features would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #33

Warrenton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
Just ordered a 2014 30ft Flying Cloud will be able to post my opinions in a few months.
Let us know about the outside storage on that unit. We looked at the Flying Cloud 25 foot with twin beds in the rear at the Hershey show on Saturday and there were several outside storage areas that I liked. I wonder if any of the 30's with rear twins have the same amounts of outside storage?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
From what I have seen, the twin bed option on all models has a support in the middle of the board under the mattress that is parallel with the frame. There is access to one half from out side with fairly large hatches and access to the inside by drop down doors or drawers depending on the model. There is also an outside hatch under the night stand and that space extends to the corner on the right facing the opening. The left side can have optional electric equipment and thus limited access.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Whatever length you choose, I would advise wrapping the underbelly to check heat loss. I have a 25 ft. Tradewind that I live in year-round.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
warpping underbelly airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
Whatever length you choose, I would advise wrapping the underbelly to check heat loss. I have a 25 ft. Tradewind that I live in year-round.

can you better explain "wrapping the underbelly". I would envision removing the underbelly covering, installing more insulation and reinstalling pan.

is there a better way of wrapping the underbelly.. ??

I see you avatar show you in Tulsa OK.. is that where you live year-around or just where you are from.. i can see how heat loss can be a big deal there..

thanks
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Wrapping the underbelly is probably a poor choice of words. What I do is cut 4x8 sheets of plywood lengthwise to make a sort of wind block wall running from the ground to the bottom of the trailer. Try it, and you won't believe the difference it makes.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #38
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
My wife and I are going to begin potential full-timing in a 1997 25' Safari in February. No set itinerary, we're simply going to go where the weather suits us at the time. We will not have a house to fall back to. We may have one cat with us too. With periodic lengthy international travel mixed in, we anticipate this being a fun and adventurous undertaking. When/if we tire of it, we'll settle somewhere.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
Wrapping the underbelly is probably a poor choice of words. What I do is cut 4x8 sheets of plywood lengthwise to make a sort of wind block wall running from the ground to the bottom of the trailer. Try it, and you won't believe the difference it makes.
I think of it as a skirting around the trailer. Some people will fabricate an insulated skirt the wraps around the perimeter of the trailer, closing the gap between ground and bottom of trailer. You can even heat this enclosed space. Essentially, you are creating an heated crawlspace for the trailer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
We currently full time in a 2013 25' flying cloud FB twin. It is myself, spouse, and two children (11 and 4). It is great for us. We tow with a Chevy 2500hd and put a cap on the back for storage. We spend almost all of our time outside unless bad weather so it works well for us.

I think it is very individual though the room one needs. The extra pantry and wardrobe in the 27' might have been nice though

I also have to say that the twin bed model feels bigger than the full bed model as the floor extends then length of the AS without the full bed in the way.

We love it!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Now this is *subjective*. I'm new at Airstreaming but I'll add my .02.

My wife and I are selling our house and will be full-timing in our Airstream until we tire of it. Our goal is 1-2 years but we're flexible. I spent several months gathering information from friends who are avid RVers and from forums such as this one. After connecting the dots we decided on a mid-size trailer, the best we could find for our budget of $20,000.

We were very fortunate to find a '90 25' Excella in outstanding condition. Exactly the floor plan we like - twin beds in the back, mid bath and no dinette. We've only spent a few nights in it so far but we love it.

Budget
--------
A bit of room to spare.

Size
-----
We find it's plenty big for us. We did a lot of tent camping when I was a park ranger, eventually "moving up" to a Westfalia. The AS seems large and comfortable to us. And I understand the mid size opens up camping opportunities that might not exist for larger units.

Weight
--------
We wanted to use an SUV that we already had as the TV and set a limit on weight of 6,000. The older trailers are quite a bit lighter than the new ones - this one weighs 5,000 pounds dry.

Vintage
---------
I've been involved with the restoration, showing and racing of vintage cars for many years and I have come to appreciate old over new with many things. This is more expensive with the cars but fortunately, given our budget, it's less expensive with Airstreams. Vintage is sometimes defined as 25 years old which means our trailer is maybe just old at this point. But hey, it will be vintage in another couple of years.

Functionality
--------------
Everything on our trailer seems to work well. It doesn't have some of the luxury items that are found on newer trailers, but I think it will deliver what we are after. Our main focus will be National and State Parks, boondocking, and only occasional stays in commercial RV parks. We're also interested in volunteering as campground hosts.

For us the key thing was to identify what we wanted to do with our trailer and to spec it out accordingly. We feel very fortunate that things converged on a satisfactory budget point.

Hope that helps.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
My comment (five months later)

Great thread. I too am looking at the possibility of going full time in an Airstream. I acted out the crazy person and went to the dealer with a tape measure and notepad recently. Aside from talking about a cabinet here or there, this is what I found:

The later model twin bed units have more in common than I realized. The 25' 11", 27 (28') and 28 (27' 11") (can be ordered in twin) are VERY similar. The two feet beyond the 25'11"er that the 27 and 28' share - one foot is open space at the foot of the twin beds. The other foot is spread out in the galley/closet area. Everything else measured the same! So. you get a bit more counter and a bit more closet but everything else is comparable.

The difference starts to really show in the 30' where the bathroom and floorplan change to add space. Same for the 31'.

I hope this simplifies your search as far as any space question is concerned.