Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
If my wife and I were going to do it, it would require a 100 foot long 20 foot wide trailer.

The point being - it depends on how you want to live.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Make sure you try lying on the forward edge of the bed of a 25FB model and sit up from that position. Did you hit your head? Try and put a foot down to get off the bed, not possible for me. How about putting something in that overhead compartment above the bed on the right without climbing on the bed?

These points may not be an issue for most folks.

These issues were not clear in the Airstream catalog when I ordered the unit sight unseen from overseas. And they became an issue for us. If I knew then (before ordering the 25FB) what I know now, we would have gone with the 27FB model initially and we would not be ordering one now.

But we have seen the wood interior of the Classic models and the twin bed option additional storage in the 27FB Classic sold us on that unit for our upgrade.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we don't full time, but our 25'er is just right for my wife and I and one little dog. In answer to your question the best Airstream for full timing is an Airstream and tow vehicle that are fully paid for.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipKS View Post
It is awesome, and it is easy to live in. I am contemplating removing the drawer stack and adding oven and new cooktop to complement the convection/microwave (does great frozen pizza, by the way). The storage lost isn't that great, IMO, and can be made up by other means. See the great mods Pahaska has done.

Happy Camping!
Our Airstream 34 had the cooktop and drawers while at the dealer. As part of our purchase agreement the dealer removed several drawers and installed a stove with oven. When not in use we store "soft" items in the oven like bread, etc. It works well for us. We also like having the convection microwave.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydays View Post
In your own personnel opinions what are the best airstreams for fulltiming for
Two people and a large dog??

So far I think its the Excella or Classic model.
I can't seem to find any others that are roomy enough.
My wife and I bought a 1988 34 foot Limited and we sold our condo put the furniture in storage and hit the road for what she says was 6 months. Six months turned into 2 years. We just followed the sun so to speak and managed 36 states and 2 winters in Florida. The 34 was perfect for us and we never felt claustrophobic or suffered any cabin fever.
We upgraded to an 06 34 foot classic limited with a slide, and I am trying to convince my wife to cut the cord and hit the trail again, the slide really enhances the living space.

I vote for the 34...

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Just ordered a 2014 30ft Flying Cloud will be able to post my opinions in a few months.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I really like the 34 foot triple axles. I have a 34' triple axle Avion (silver sister) that is actually two feet longer than a 34' Airstream because they rate them differently...but even mine gets tight on rainy days with our family of four.

But at any rate, I highly recommend the 34 footers. Especially if you get one without the slide out. They are fairly roomy, and they tow like a dream. I've yet to hit a place I couldn't get mine into. And I have had some tight places!

Best of luck,
Being able to get into national and state campgrounds is a big consideration for us. Are these places you frequent with 34 footer? Are overall length of 34' Avion and Airstream the same.
1st post

Thanks
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As to what size, remember these two, related considerations: While we all of us "camp" (spend more time outdoors than in) there are times of poor weather for days at a time where two areas in which to lounge, separately, is worth planning for; and when someone is ill or injured.

Otherwise "space considerations" have to do with the fact of sitting or sleeping over 90% of time spent in the trailer. More space generally means a harder to heat/cool interior and greatly increases the time for cleaning.

I would round it off with access to storage. Some floorplans have less storage for a given size AND may make it hard to get to things used more than seasonally.

I 'fulltime' in a 35' TT, but would likely be just as happy in a 28'. Smaller than this doesn't appeal, nor did it to two earlier generations of my family going back over a half-century.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we don't full time, but our 25'er is just right for my wife and I and one little dog. In answer to your question the best Airstream for full timing is an Airstream and tow vehicle that are fully paid for.
Bob, this basic recommendation is so easily and often lost in the "what is best?" discussions. We also believe budget is the starting point. And the great experiences of travel is the goal.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
We have had a lot of discussion for even weeks at a time trips let alone full timing and have decided that we will go ahead and jump from the 25FB to a model 30 Classic, bypassing the 27FB Classic we thought we could make work. The incremental cost before the building of a new unit is much less than the hit from trading a unit on a larger one in the near future.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 09-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Went to local RV show this weekend in Raleigh and after seeing what seems like a thousand SOB we were about to head out when a couple we had been talking with at lunch said they had seen the AS;s and yes they were nice indeed..

so this couple we were sitting with at lunch was saying they has a trailer some year ago but had sold it due to non use.. They were looking for something smaller, i think he said they had a 31 with slides before, so we mentioned we were just looking and wanted to get an Airstream.. He was suprized to hear the name and ask " they still make them??" I told him they were most likely the only RV manufacture still in continues business since 1936 or so i told him..

So were coming out of another lookalike SOB and happened to see them at which the lady from lunch remarked about seeing the AS's. We asked where they were located and went straight there..

the area was packed with people some wided eyed and visions of alum in there future and other mumbling about the price and how you could buy 3 other brand for the same money..

We rambled around the area talking with the son of the owner i think who was there unable to keep up with questions from all the lookers.. it was great..

SO... now to my question...

one thing we noticed was the amount of front bedroom units and wondered which was better and why.. I would think a rear bed was quieter away from the road as it seem a lot of RV parks are back in.

so i guess my question is the pro's and cons.. one pro i hear for front was the power jack at hitch help reduce movement in bed..

we toured the 25FB international sterling model and loved it, just wanted that in a rear bed model with same set up..

oh well
Hello,

Couldn't resist the temptation to respond.
We have a "30" and just love it. Instead of a TV mounted near the dinette, we have a 26" portable ( satellite enabled) sitting on the top of the furniture piece forward of the dinette. The openness of the "living room" is most enjoyable. ( Monday night football!)

Bedroom is roomy enough. We installed a "Sleep Number" bed ....much better than the factory "pad"...

Central bathroom gives us plenty of "maneuver room" in the main corridor...tends to negate the "tunnel effect"...

Closet....smallish, but we adapted and don't need as much hanging space as we once thought.

Full timers......I don't think so...not now...We already spend about 4 months a year in our AS and enjoy every minute!

We once had a fifth wheel....weighed 15K, was 13'6" high and required a dually for towing...no thanks. The fiver required too much propane to heat, not enough ambient light, and minimal cross air ventilation--we were like spelunkers....cave explorers. ( we were in Redding Calif last week= 99 degrees--no ac needed in the AS , only fans and open windows ...lovely.)

When in doubt...go for more room. ( we didn't think we could tolerate the length of a 34'.)

Hope this helps....Zigi...
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

I would round it off with access to storage. Some floorplans have less storage for a given size AND may make it hard to get to things used more than seasonally.

At this point the only inside of a Avion we've seen are in pictures. wife's perception is rear bathroom has more storage. We do understand you're locked into twin beds with the rear bathroom. We've also seen the side kitchen versus front kitchen layout. Some insight into rear versus side bathroom and other layout features would be appreciated.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #33

Warrenton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
Just ordered a 2014 30ft Flying Cloud will be able to post my opinions in a few months.
Let us know about the outside storage on that unit. We looked at the Flying Cloud 25 foot with twin beds in the rear at the Hershey show on Saturday and there were several outside storage areas that I liked. I wonder if any of the 30's with rear twins have the same amounts of outside storage?
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
From what I have seen, the twin bed option on all models has a support in the middle of the board under the mattress that is parallel with the frame. There is access to one half from out side with fairly large hatches and access to the inside by drop down doors or drawers depending on the model. There is also an outside hatch under the night stand and that space extends to the corner on the right facing the opening. The left side can have optional electric equipment and thus limited access.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Whatever length you choose, I would advise wrapping the underbelly to check heat loss. I have a 25 ft. Tradewind that I live in year-round.
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
warpping underbelly airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
Whatever length you choose, I would advise wrapping the underbelly to check heat loss. I have a 25 ft. Tradewind that I live in year-round.

can you better explain "wrapping the underbelly". I would envision removing the underbelly covering, installing more insulation and reinstalling pan.

is there a better way of wrapping the underbelly.. ??

I see you avatar show you in Tulsa OK.. is that where you live year-around or just where you are from.. i can see how heat loss can be a big deal there..

thanks
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Wrapping the underbelly is probably a poor choice of words. What I do is cut 4x8 sheets of plywood lengthwise to make a sort of wind block wall running from the ground to the bottom of the trailer. Try it, and you won't believe the difference it makes.
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #38
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
My wife and I are going to begin potential full-timing in a 1997 25' Safari in February. No set itinerary, we're simply going to go where the weather suits us at the time. We will not have a house to fall back to. We may have one cat with us too. With periodic lengthy international travel mixed in, we anticipate this being a fun and adventurous undertaking. When/if we tire of it, we'll settle somewhere.
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
Wrapping the underbelly is probably a poor choice of words. What I do is cut 4x8 sheets of plywood lengthwise to make a sort of wind block wall running from the ground to the bottom of the trailer. Try it, and you won't believe the difference it makes.
I think of it as a skirting around the trailer. Some people will fabricate an insulated skirt the wraps around the perimeter of the trailer, closing the gap between ground and bottom of trailer. You can even heat this enclosed space. Essentially, you are creating an heated crawlspace for the trailer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
We currently full time in a 2013 25' flying cloud FB twin. It is myself, spouse, and two children (11 and 4). It is great for us. We tow with a Chevy 2500hd and put a cap on the back for storage. We spend almost all of our time outside unless bad weather so it works well for us.

I think it is very individual though the room one needs. The extra pantry and wardrobe in the 27' might have been nice though

I also have to say that the twin bed model feels bigger than the full bed model as the floor extends then length of the AS without the full bed in the way.

We love it!
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote