Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

2014 22' FB Sport
San Luis Obispo , California
Surface options for Sport 22'

What is the best surface to put a Sport 22 on? My son will be living in the Sport 22 and we will not really be moving it much if any. Does it have to be totally level? If I have a spot graded and I can't afford concrete, what is best to put down for the Sport 22 to sit on? If gravel, should something go under the gravel? If gravel, what size and to what depth? If concrete blocks, how does that work? I've read about treated wood, but where would the treated wood go? Just on the ground? Could I put artificial turf over the treated wood? Are there contractors to help with these kinds of questions?
WendySLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Local ordinances will dictate if you can park a trailer and live in it on your property. Many do not allow it. You likely need something under the trailer to retard grass and weed growth. Some stone on top of landscape fabric is the cheapest, after you use Round up to kill off the vegetation. Getting some weight off the tires would allow you to level it and not make it as wobbly. Concrete blocks with a wood slab on the top would do. Put them under the main frame rails.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #3

2014 22' FB Sport
San Luis Obispo , California
THANK YOU for the reply!

I know what landcape fabric is (to keep grass and weeds from coming up), but when you say, "Some stone on top of landscape fabric," do you mean gravel or concrete block or both?

How do I "get some weight off the tires" to help level it? If I use concrete blocks with a wood slab on the top, does that mean just a few concrete blocks instead of a solid foundation of blocks (like a patio)? Would just a patio of concrete pavers work well? (I was looking at the Air Vol Block web site.)

I am sorry to be such a dunce, but what are the main frame rails? I really, really appreciate your time and patience to educate me!!!
WendySLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Gravel would be good to store the trailer on.
Getting weight off the tires generally means jacking the trailer up, and blocking under the frame rails to minimize suspension damage from sitting. For example, the stabilizers are meant to stabilize the trailer, and should not have a lot of weight on them. Over time, the tires will lose air pressure, causing the stabilizers to hold up more and more weight. Eventually, the weight will be so much that either things like the main door won't open and close, or the stabilizers themselves will fail.