Old 11-06-2004, 05:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to nyairdream
name it!

i think this gets confuseing . we need to have a term for what were talking about here! sum people might think were talking about full-timeing . but were noy full-timeing is when u travel continusly and we are talking about permenent parked and living in our airstreams. so we need to name it and start our own forum on this site like the full-timmers have! i think perminent palaces, parked place, dwellers, home sweet trailer, airstreamers with roots, parked place,
livin in alluminium, imobile majority, all the timmers, motion sikness,
movin on in, any ideas????? lets figure this ok guys!! john

Old 01-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #16

Jimbo-Hi. And Hi to evryone else here as I am a newcomer. I stumbled on this site in a web search and it seemed so interesting I decided to hang around. I am researching some of the same info you are--that is living full in a AS but with another "twist" not HERE in the US. I plan on retiring in the future in the Dominican Republic due to the reasonable living cost and the nice weather where I plan to live. This being in the Mountain area of Jaracaboa near Pico Duarte-highest mountain in the Carribbeans. It is cool and dry with frost occassionally in the morning. Land is pretty reasonable if you have Dollars but unless you are there to either partake in the construction or at least oversee the job you may not get what you bargained for. The workday for the natives is not like ours-and I simply do not want the stress and aggravation involved with house construction and then there is the very real possibility that as gringo you will be charged a higher price-both on labor and the materials.My thought is an AS would resolve the problem. I have always liked the AS and in the end it would be cheaper to ship a AS there from Miami where I live and then I know I have something good. I am wondering if any posters here know of Anyone who has shipped an AS via ship? I started a search in the recent past as we have many shipping companies here in the Miami Area-gateway to the Carribbean. Due to the Xmas holidays most shippers were closed but so far have received only one price I thought was high--$3000. I will be checking with many before I finalize a deal. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Miamimike,
That $3000 may not be that unreasonable. I have a bunch of guys that work for me that are from Honduras. They ship a couple of trucks a year back to their mother land, and it usually costs them about $1500 or so for a full sized pickup. A Nissan will run about $1300, I don't know if it is based or weight or size or a combination. Another possibility would be to containerize it to protect it on it's voyage. The challenge would be finding a container tall enough to handle the AS, for the older ones width and length is not an issue

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Miamimike,
That $3000 may not be that unreasonable. I have a bunch of guys that work for me that are from Honduras. They ship a couple of trucks a year back to their mother land, and it usually costs them about $1500 or so for a full sized pickup. A Nissan will run about $1300, I don't know if it is based or weight or size or a combination. Another possibility would be to containerize it to protect it on it's voyage. The challenge would be finding a container tall enough to handle the AS, for the older ones width and length is not an issue

Aaron
Thanks for the info. I wonder if those Hondura's prices included the duty? Usually its around 30% of the truck value-I have seen different prices as there is a lot of competition here in Miami with shippers. The $3000 price was a worst case scenario-the shipper said he could shave some off that price-probably. He does not get a request like this often so it was hard to pinpoint him to an exact price. Other AS owners who shipped overseas via Large ships said their AS was piggybacked on top of a container. Weight is not the problem. I saw one shipper who used what looked like a tank shipping container-open on the sides--metal base-it has a fold-down ramp on one end- and a stationary end at the front of the ramp maybe 6'-8' high.The trailer is loaded via this ramp and then its folded back up at a 90 degree angle and secured like a regular container and lifted with a gantry crane in the same fashion.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

water, sewage

This is an intresting topic. I have posted some questions regarding travel in South America in an Airstream, and then happened to see this thread. Some issues seem to overlap.

Mountain Wine and Rob&Zoe, how do you deal with getting enough water, and disposing of sewage? I know these questions might be elementary, but at this point I know next to nothing about this whole thing.

Thanks in advance,

Codger
Old 01-03-2005, 11:00 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Boulder,Utah
Send a message via Yahoo to summerwine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger
This is an intresting topic. I have posted some questions regarding travel in South America in an Airstream, and then happened to see this thread. Some issues seem to overlap.

Mountain Wine and Rob&Zoe, how do you deal with getting enough water, and disposing of sewage? I know these questions might be elementary, but at this point I know next to nothing about this whole thing.

Thanks in advance,

Codger
Mountain wine? lol
I have a fully installed septic system....amd a share of water from a well.....and actually applied for another 2.5 acre ft of water through the state. Its complicated as the developer is a not trustworthy guy,,and have been battleing him for years. But the State of Utah Public Utilities Commision has come through and set him and the records straight. ( Hopefully) As I have a couple acres and its mostly left in its natural state...I dont use alot of water unless the season is dry, which in fact has been now for the last several years.But last summer we finally got our summer rains and therefore lawn did grow...and it was good.
I have the water system turned off for the winter and the trailer drained and winterized.I added a larger water heater some years ago...on the outside...inside a shed like building( very small).
I have two water hydrants one of which is solely for trailer use and all underground now and one for outside water. Power was there when I bought the property...and have somewhat upgraded the power source.
Its alot of work, time and money as I am in very remote country,, or was.People like the area and are buying more lots now..thinking they too can have a peice.
The area is Boulder, Utah next to the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument...60 miles east of Bryce canyon and Capitol Reef to the northeast..another 60 miles. Splendid scenery and remote.
If ya have more questions..ask...