Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #1

Substitute for a House?

Hello folks, I'm new here. Here's what I'd like to know; What's your opinion about using an airstream as a full-time, one-site (most of the time) home?

Currently I'm renting a house but it's only a matter of time before the bulldozer comes. My fantasy is to buy some acres and live in a travel trailer full time, untill the neighborhood gets crowded, and I can move further out again.

Chris Stevens (the mythical Northern Exposure character) lived in one in Alaska!

I'm a healthy, single, 50 y/o guy, and wouldn't think of doing this if I were married.

My family & freinds don't like the idea, probably thinking I'm reverting back to my ancestrial "trailer-trash" genes, but I think I can manage a quality life this way, lightening my load, and making a clean exit twenty or thirty years from now.

Wadda ya think? Do you know of anybody else doing this? And what do I need to know? Thanks in advance. -Jimmy
Jimbo7508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Jimmy

Welcome! There are lots of folks that live in Airstreams full time - just think of all the snowbirds in Florida and Pheonix - so its entirely possible - I think you will need to decide if its enough space for you. Worse case is you buy the Airstream, find it too small and confining and you can always find an inexpensive mobile home to put on your land or even a smaller house.

For one person I think its a great idea

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Boulder,Utah
Send a message via Yahoo to summerwine
Hello jimbo
I know it can be done. I live in mine at least 7 months a year.I do leave when it gets to cold( as Im on a mtn and about 7500 ft) Yes it does snow.I close the place up and return in late march.I do not move the trailer and have things permantely fixed, such as bigger water heater and skirting underneath. Being that cooped up in very cold weather isnt fun, but I suppose could be done. I like being outside alot so this works very well.I think somehow you can click on my name or some link here to view photos....( Ill add some recent ones soon) I added a roof/awning this year which really helped. But Like you I am single and a family would be hard to convinve this the right thing to do.
Hope you decide to try it.
summerwine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3 041.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	9298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3 007.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	9299  

summerwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 11:29 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Lots of folks do what you are considering. It's not all that crazy as some might think. Make sure you get one that is large enough so that you don't feel cabin fever (even if it is just you).

Also being in the southern states, extreme cold isn't a big issue, but you might consider getting a large(r) propane tank.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Boulder,Utah
I agree..I do have a large propane tank whick is always filled.....and used...It was rather cool this summer and sure makes for all the comforts of a home when needed. I also have a large shed which I can store all outside furnature and extra stuff in....
All the water connections are underground now.
The nice thing is you dont have to buy alot to furnish it. I also have dish tv...a internet connection....and a view! I dont have stores nearby( 150 miles awy to the nearest wallmart) so makes for limited shopping. But UPS works well.
I also have an extra fridge in my shed for food storage. No lawnmower tho, you learn whats really important.
summerwine.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I bet you have some great views of the stars at night!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:57 AM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There is a 1987 34' Excella at Eastside Auto Sales on Memorial Drive in Southeast Atlanta that is in very good condition. It might just fit your needs.

I checked it out a couple of weeks ago. It needs new carpet and new upholtry on the sofa and swivel chair, but all of the tambours work perfectly and looks to have been taken good care of. It has a dinette and rear twins with a mid/stret side bath and good amount of storage. All of the awnings are in good condition. The asking price is $12,975. The phone number is 404-584-2008.

It is too big for my needs and not set up for my family, but for a single person, it might be ideal. Good luck!
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to nyairdream
Hey I Also Plan To Live In My Airstream In Upstate Ny This Is The Thread I Started I Wounderr If They Can Be Merged?? Im Going To Try To Convince Airstream Life That There Should Be A Permenent Sectuion In The Mag About Doing This It Seems To Be Becomming Very Popular!!!
nyairdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyairdream
Hey I Also Plan To Live In My Airstream In Upstate Ny This Is The Thread I Started I Wounderr If They Can Be Merged?? Im Going To Try To Convince Airstream Life That There Should Be A Permenent Sectuion In The Mag About Doing This It Seems To Be Becomming Very Popular!!!

SORRY FORGOT TO ADD LINK!!!! JOHN
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14172
Old 10-31-2004, 08:50 PM   #10

Thank you all!

Wow, what a friendly bunch you all are!

NYAirdream, Minnie's Mate, Silvertwinkle, Summerwine, Ken J, and Mr. Goate.

You've all been very encouraging and I think NYairdream's idea of turning this into a permanent topic would be a good one because I've got a lot to learn.

Thank you much Minnie's Mate for the heads up on that $12,000 model. I'm checking it out tomorrow. If I knab it I'll have to figure out how I'm going to hide the thing behind my house without upsetting the the zoning police (probably build a shed over it).

Anyway, I'll keep checking this thread, NYdream's, and keep you all posted on my progress.
Jimbo7508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 10:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Airstream prices run strange. Bigger isn't more expensive. In fact smaller costs more all things being equal. Since you aren't going to be moving it but rarely you don't need to worry about how big it is. Hire someone local to get it to where it will be sitting. You don't have to be concerned about the axels, the tires, and alittle frame rust shouldn't be a problem either. You should be able to get a great buy and if you are handy make a great home. If you have a fulltime hook up you can even have a real toilet.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Good Idea!

Quote:
You've all been very encouraging and I think NYairdream's idea of turning this into a permanent topic would be a good one because I've got a lot to learn.
I've added a new Forum Section...'Full-Timing'...enjoy!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Recalled and loving it!

In 1998, I went out and bought my 1985 34' Limited Airstream. As a single Marine Major, I was able to use my housing allowance, live in my Airstream in Monterey, CA out behind the fiargrounds at the Navy Campground on the golf course, write my thesis for my Masters and even tow it up to Tahoe, or Yosemite on long weekends. I loved it. I then moved to Quantico, VA where I lived in it around the DC area, mainly on the base campground next to the FBI Academy....nothing like waking up with a new FBI academy class running by your AS. I paid it off in two years with my housing allowance...what a deal. I then got married (meeting women was a challenge when they asked where you lived) and bought a real house in Fredericksburg. The AS then was a guest house for the inlaws, and the rallies. Then, when I got out in 2002, the Airstream became the launch pad after we sold our house in Fredericksburg, and moved to NY where we bought a 100 year old farm house. As we gutted the house, the AS was crucial - for a kitchen, etc. Four month after I got out, I was recalled back to the Marine Corps, to Camp Lejuene, NC. Since Jan 2003, I've been living in the AS, my 1985 34' Limited. The wife and two kids stayed in NY as I was told I'd be deployed. Well, except for two months this summer, when I deployed to Iraq, I've been right here. The wife and two kids come down every so often for a month or so, then go back to NY...but the Airstream is serving us, and the country well. Since I've been down here, I've used local Marine upholsterers to redo all the interior cushions, and I've put in a new wood laminate Armstrong knotty pine floor. I've got Direct TV, Road Runner cable modem, and regular phone line. In January, this all comes to an end when I get to go home after two years...and I can't wait, but will miss my home away from home. I'll keep the Limited here in the south until Spring hits up north...can't see taking her into the winter...although I did winter in Quantico, Va back in 98...awesome to see the ice all over the trailer, but everything still working. Heat tapes work great.

Enough for now.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You might also do a search on this forum for "So you want to buy [an Airstream] three states away?" Not real sure of the exact wording. You might be able to find someone with more knowlege about condition and problems than I have that can take a look at it for you and give you an honest appraisal of the unit. It is a good size unit to live in, but not a great unit for week ending or short trips because of the size, but the weight isn't too bad since it was before the wide bodies came out.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 04:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

name it!

i think this gets confuseing . we need to have a term for what were talking about here! sum people might think were talking about full-timeing . but were noy full-timeing is when u travel continusly and we are talking about permenent parked and living in our airstreams. so we need to name it and start our own forum on this site like the full-timmers have! i think perminent palaces, parked place, dwellers, home sweet trailer, airstreamers with roots, parked place,
livin in alluminium, imobile majority, all the timmers, motion sikness,
movin on in, any ideas????? lets figure this ok guys!! john
Old 01-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #16

Jimbo-Hi. And Hi to evryone else here as I am a newcomer. I stumbled on this site in a web search and it seemed so interesting I decided to hang around. I am researching some of the same info you are--that is living full in a AS but with another "twist" not HERE in the US. I plan on retiring in the future in the Dominican Republic due to the reasonable living cost and the nice weather where I plan to live. This being in the Mountain area of Jaracaboa near Pico Duarte-highest mountain in the Carribbeans. It is cool and dry with frost occassionally in the morning. Land is pretty reasonable if you have Dollars but unless you are there to either partake in the construction or at least oversee the job you may not get what you bargained for. The workday for the natives is not like ours-and I simply do not want the stress and aggravation involved with house construction and then there is the very real possibility that as gringo you will be charged a higher price-both on labor and the materials.My thought is an AS would resolve the problem. I have always liked the AS and in the end it would be cheaper to ship a AS there from Miami where I live and then I know I have something good. I am wondering if any posters here know of Anyone who has shipped an AS via ship? I started a search in the recent past as we have many shipping companies here in the Miami Area-gateway to the Carribbean. Due to the Xmas holidays most shippers were closed but so far have received only one price I thought was high--$3000. I will be checking with many before I finalize a deal. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
miamimike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Miamimike,
That $3000 may not be that unreasonable. I have a bunch of guys that work for me that are from Honduras. They ship a couple of trucks a year back to their mother land, and it usually costs them about $1500 or so for a full sized pickup. A Nissan will run about $1300, I don't know if it is based or weight or size or a combination. Another possibility would be to containerize it to protect it on it's voyage. The challenge would be finding a container tall enough to handle the AS, for the older ones width and length is not an issue

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Miamimike,
That $3000 may not be that unreasonable. I have a bunch of guys that work for me that are from Honduras. They ship a couple of trucks a year back to their mother land, and it usually costs them about $1500 or so for a full sized pickup. A Nissan will run about $1300, I don't know if it is based or weight or size or a combination. Another possibility would be to containerize it to protect it on it's voyage. The challenge would be finding a container tall enough to handle the AS, for the older ones width and length is not an issue

Aaron
Thanks for the info. I wonder if those Hondura's prices included the duty? Usually its around 30% of the truck value-I have seen different prices as there is a lot of competition here in Miami with shippers. The $3000 price was a worst case scenario-the shipper said he could shave some off that price-probably. He does not get a request like this often so it was hard to pinpoint him to an exact price. Other AS owners who shipped overseas via Large ships said their AS was piggybacked on top of a container. Weight is not the problem. I saw one shipper who used what looked like a tank shipping container-open on the sides--metal base-it has a fold-down ramp on one end- and a stationary end at the front of the ramp maybe 6'-8' high.The trailer is loaded via this ramp and then its folded back up at a 90 degree angle and secured like a regular container and lifted with a gantry crane in the same fashion.
miamimike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

water, sewage

This is an intresting topic. I have posted some questions regarding travel in South America in an Airstream, and then happened to see this thread. Some issues seem to overlap.

Mountain Wine and Rob&Zoe, how do you deal with getting enough water, and disposing of sewage? I know these questions might be elementary, but at this point I know next to nothing about this whole thing.

Thanks in advance,

Codger
Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Boulder,Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger
This is an intresting topic. I have posted some questions regarding travel in South America in an Airstream, and then happened to see this thread. Some issues seem to overlap.

Mountain Wine and Rob&Zoe, how do you deal with getting enough water, and disposing of sewage? I know these questions might be elementary, but at this point I know next to nothing about this whole thing.

Thanks in advance,

Codger
Mountain wine? lol
I have a fully installed septic system....amd a share of water from a well.....and actually applied for another 2.5 acre ft of water through the state. Its complicated as the developer is a not trustworthy guy,,and have been battleing him for years. But the State of Utah Public Utilities Commision has come through and set him and the records straight. ( Hopefully) As I have a couple acres and its mostly left in its natural state...I dont use alot of water unless the season is dry, which in fact has been now for the last several years.But last summer we finally got our summer rains and therefore lawn did grow...and it was good.
I have the water system turned off for the winter and the trailer drained and winterized.I added a larger water heater some years ago...on the outside...inside a shed like building( very small).
I have two water hydrants one of which is solely for trailer use and all underground now and one for outside water. Power was there when I bought the property...and have somewhat upgraded the power source.
Its alot of work, time and money as I am in very remote country,, or was.People like the area and are buying more lots now..thinking they too can have a peice.
The area is Boulder, Utah next to the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument...60 miles east of Bryce canyon and Capitol Reef to the northeast..another 60 miles. Splendid scenery and remote.
If ya have more questions..ask...