Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Stolen trailers?

There have been several threads about Airstreams being stolen from various places. It seems, though, that all were unoccupied at the time of the theft. Has anyone ever had a theft or attempted theft of a coach that was occupied? What I'm wondering about is a full-timer who has parked the Airstream at a campsite and then gone elsewhere for the day. We tend to be gone much of the day, returning to the coach for the evening. We also like staying at State parks, so the length of our stay is easily visible to anyone driving through.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If in an RV park, get to know neighbors.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Last year at one of our local state parks I woke to the sounds of half dozen squad cars right out side my trailer. They were raiding the campsite next to me. Seems my neighbors (3 occupants) for the past several days were robbing campsites and trailers when no one was home. One of the state troppers told me they had hit over a dozen trailers. Their pickup with camper shell contained TVs, grills, gas bottles, three bicycles and several guns. Inside they found more TVs, guns, cash and drugs. There was also everything needed to cook up meth. Thankfully they did not have a working lab set up. They had come over from Louisiana. The officer told me that they suspected that they had been doing this for some time.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Locks! Wheel lock, (alligator type, fits through wheel openings, clamps down, requires key to unlock). Put a strong padlock through hitch release to prevent easy access. Wind chains around tongue and secure with 2 strong padlocks. Hitch key lock. Ball Hitchlock prevents anyone from pulling up and easy hitchup.

Objective is to make it a real consuming chore to get it. Thieves usually look for the easy mark, so make yours very hard and time consuming to access. Don't leave valuable items outside when away...I.e., expensive grills, lawn chairs, etc. Close Curtains, so they can't see what you have inside. Leave 2-3 strong LED lanterns on inside, a portable radio on, so they don't know if someone is home or not. Leave a sign visible in window...."come back later, I'm taking a nap!"

I treat my BAMBI like an extension of my home....security! As heavy as possible.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Last year I posted an anti-theft device which I installed on my trailer. The device texts my phone if the trailer is moved. Here's the post:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ch-118021.html

I will say it takes some computer/electronic know how to get it to work.
rasjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Has anyone seen or heard of a device from a company called Dewalt Mobile Lock ??? From what I can see it's like a LoJack with a GPS. Magnetic box with a battery powered transmitter with a motion sensor. I just took a quick look at their website and it seems to do what we would want it to do in the case of a stolen trailer. Not cheap but May be worth the time to look it over. Been around awhile from what I can see but this is my first time seeing it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We use an older version of the Mega Hitch coupler vault. Ours has the key on the backside, rather than exposed on the front. My suspicion is there is nothing that will deter a determined thief, but something along these lines will make most look for an easier target.

Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Not that I want anyone's trailer to be taken but the odds are infintesmially low, at least for an Airstream. Not saying that it doesn't happen but if you have coverage on the trailer for theft and you take standard precautions I just wouldn't worry. A tongue lock or wheel lock if you feel better. The Dewalt's work well but can be expensive depending on the the coverage you choose. Absolutely would have one if I had a construction/utility trailer with my livelihood inside. But should the thieves every steel my Classic I'm not sure that I want it back. No telling what damage has been done as they stole it and indelicately drove it on the getaway.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gary, that's kind of what I was thinking, but I thought I'd ask. A travel trailer is at more of a risk simply because it can be towed by nearly any pickup. A 5'er requires a less common hitch.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I've been thinking about putting a kill switch for the electric jack, hard to hook up if you can't lower the trailer!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Interesting idea. You would have to figure out some way to hide the switch, though. I had thought about something similar but realized that if someone couldn't operate the key switch they could simply bypass it.

Just thought of a scene from The Sound of Music in which the nuns stole ignition parts from the Nazi's cars, thus disabling the cars. I wonder if doing something similar would work.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hide the switch inside the trailer?! Or.... A weatherproof switch in the a frame! Maybe this is too simple?!

Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My wife just saw a notice on Facebook that an AS was stolen from someone in McComb, Misssippi.

I can't tell from the picture on small screen.. The size, perhaps a 27'?

Anyhow, heads up!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL1954 View Post
Last year I posted an anti-theft device which I installed on my trailer. The device texts my phone if the trailer is moved. Here's the post:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ch-118021.html

I will say it takes some computer/electronic know how to get it to work.
I didn't view this link before posting my previous post but this link is exactly the technology I was explaining,. Nice job!
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile as theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I've been thinking about putting a kill switch for the electric jack, hard to hook up if you can't lower the trailer!

Simply remove fuse for jack as it is a glass buss type fuse [auto style] then put holder back together no one would guess it was removed, plus less $ out lay for swt. and where to hide it.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
There have been several threads about Airstreams being stolen from various places. It seems, though, that all were unoccupied at the time of the theft. Has anyone ever had a theft or attempted theft of a coach that was occupied?
I've never heard of that happening. Mobilizing a trailer that is parked for camping is, as we all know, a time consuming activity, and campgrounds are full of people with eyes who see that sort of stuff.

Quote:
What I'm wondering about is a full-timer who has parked the Airstream at a campsite and then gone elsewhere for the day. We tend to be gone much of the day, returning to the coach for the evening. We also like staying at State parks, so the length of our stay is easily visible to anyone driving through.
The risk to consider in that situation is theft of contents and theft of other valuable items left in the campsite outside the trailer. Most fulltimers have all kinds of outdoor kit.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
From all the threads about stolen campers, it almost always seems to be from commercial property. IE Storage yard and service lots. I just recalled one from a lady who had restored her Grandfathers, took it to get new counter tops, left it in the shops parking lot and it got stolen.

Rarely do people steal them out of campgrounds. And while stealing them from boondocking sites, you have to worry that the owner might show up any moment. Also, who wants to drive way out into nowhere looking for something to steal?

But, a shiny trailer in a parking lot of some shop with no one around. No one is probably going to be around since the business is closed. So lots of time to steal it with no one looking.

Lock it properly.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Periodically the forum is contacted by folks with stolen trailers and we do our best to get the word out to be on the look out. They are almost always small and vintage and I think it's likely they end up in shipping containers at ports.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
From what I read my Hensley Hitch kinda makes my trailer immobile. Even some repair shops can't move it.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
From what I read my Hensley Hitch kinda makes my trailer immobile. Even some repair shops can't move it.
But an expensive anti theft device no? LOL

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote