Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well...

You will have the purchase price of a trailer, plus lot rent and probably utilities at a campground, which could be rather high in Florida.

Also, any maintenance and repairs on your trailer.

You might look at RV parks in the area where you will be, and contact them as to whether they can accommodate you for your period of time and what those costs will be.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 07-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #22

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Well...

You will have the purchase price of a trailer, plus lot rent and probably utilities at a campground, which could be rather high in Florida.

Also, any maintenance and repairs on your trailer.

You might look at RV parks in the area where you will be, and contact them as to whether they can accommodate you for your period of time and what those costs will be.

Good luck!

Maggie
Thanks Maggie!
Going tomorrow to check out some places. I've emailed several but want to see them for myself. My school will have me doing clinicals all over the state so the added flexibility of taking my house with me for that is amazing. Even when looking at the cost of the trailer, rent and electric plus internet, it's the same or less than an apartment in Jax. For a 36 month program, I'm easily looking at $36k in rent and that's being conservative and hardly accounts for utilities. Makes the travel trailer concept pretty feasible. I'm looking at $20k or less if not an AS for purchase but possibly more if sticking with AS. Finding rent at $300-$500/month plus electric. And I'm learning that since it's a second home there may be some tax savings but not 100% on that. If I spend $20k on the nose, that leaves me $444 a month for rent, etc and I'm even with $1k/mo apartment, BUT I own my mini-house on wheels. Even if I lose a ridiculous amount in depreciation, it's more back than I'll ever see on someone else's place I rent. And having the trailer to live in temporarily while we relocate will be a big bonus. Not to mention I may have to travel for awhile for work before my husband can relocate with me if we can't sell our house quickly.
My main concerns are repairs, the unexpected stuff and just being a newbie about all this stuff.
Liratoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In Florida, lot rent may be high. 300-500 sounds very low.

You should check into existing mobile home parks, too, as sometimes they have empty lots that may be less expensive than the traditional RV park.

You might be able to take some of your lot rent and utility expenses as educational expenses, too....should look into IRS regs. I would.

Keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
On our way in 18 days

Well just 18 days till the wife retires and then off we go. It's been 6 wks so far since the house sold and all going well. We have been bouncing back and forth between 2 COE campgrounds near Maxwell AFB where wife works the only real issues have been the heat here and battling ants. We are both by nature planners it's going to be an adjustment for us to head down to road not knowing where we will be sleeping that night. But we are not going to stress about it. I can't sleep if I'm too hot so the plan is to chase 72deg. Good camping all
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Congrats!

Congrats! We have been full-timers for about 3 months. We aren't retired though and work full-time during the day. Interesting enough, we didn't plan a durn thing. We rented out our house and left! We've been learning along the way and you will too!
bambibooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:35 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Rolla , Missouri
Awesome and congrats, I"ll start my full time life in a few weeks, an early start prior to my retirement in three years. Tow vehicle-check, As-check, generator-check, solar-check, tools-check. I only plan on covering between 250-300 miles per day. 300 is pushing it. I've been traveling for so long on someone else' time schedule so I do plan on going slow, not in any hurry at all. :-)
2000 F250 7.3L PSD
Home-N-Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Just 4 days

Well only 4 days till the wife retires and off we go. We can't wait. My wife's car has 5 people that want it. That will be the last thing to sell.Can't wait to get moving it's been a bit boring being stuck in the same two campgrounds for two months now but Yellowstone here we come. Thanks for all the replies. Good camping to all.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Fun time update

It has been wild lately been through 8 states. To the top of Pikes peak hiking the Grand Tetons presently just west of Yellowstone all the fires have altered our route had to back track and head west instead of using the south entrance. Hope to enter Yellowstone Tuesday via the west entrance. Wish us luck. My solar has worked well spent the last 9 days with no hook ups 170 watts kept battery up early am never below 12.49 volts using heater all night on low setting. Good camping all. Rand
Old 09-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbear View Post
It has been wild lately been through 8 states. To the top of Pikes peak hiking the Grand Tetons presently just west of Yellowstone all the fires have altered our route had to back track and head west instead of using the south entrance. Hope to enter Yellowstone Tuesday via the west entrance. Wish us luck. My solar has worked well spent the last 9 days with no hook ups 170 watts kept battery up early am never below 12.49 volts using heater all night on low setting. Good camping all. Rand

Following this thread and wish you the best of luck!
WBAC #5932
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote