Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Yelm , Washington
Space saving tips

So the time has finally come for me to downsize and move into my 27 ft international. Does anybody have any space saving tips as I figure out this full timing life?
stellar1dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
My husband and I are full timers.
arandruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a thread here called Small Space Living that has a lot of good hints.

Maggie
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
"The One" is out there

1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
My husband and I are fulltimers. A few things I have found are: have smaller versions of everthing needed in the kitchen like a coffee pot, hand mixer ,and single serving blender to name a few. I also bought nesting bowls in plastic.

Cover the couch with an extra blanket for when it gets cold, store winter clothes in a tub in the truck bed.

A good idea is to get closet organization ready before you move in. I hung two of those cube organizers for clohes and a fabric shoe rack on the closet door.

I didn't do this but when I was reading about being full time I saw another girl had moved into one room and lived in the one room to really see what she used daily. Sometimes you think you need all this stuff. I'm still getting rid of things. It feels good to not be surrounded by the things you think you need. I bought a photo frame that has all our pictures uploaded to it so it scans all our trips and family while only needing the one frame.

Finding somewhere for extra food to hide has been tough. I like to keep in case of emergency food and so far it just gets mixed in among oher things like sheets, at the bottom of the closet, and in the pantry of course.

The sentimental things I took a picture of so if I miss them I can just look at the picture.

We still keep a storage unit that's $30 a month for a 10x5x5 closet. We have hobbies that we can't quite part with.

Keeping things ALWAYS put away will help keep your sanity. The less stuff sitting out on the counters the better. Try to find somewhere for everything to be put away.

I suggest looking up how others have simplified their lives as well. I know there's a seven items experiment with only having 7 items of clothing. I could never do that but, I have dramatically decreased my collection.

I also store soft things in the pillow cases.

We also have two trucks so one pulls the Twinkie and the other pulls a 5x8 enclosed trailer that acts like our "garage". We move every 6 months as we work seasonally for the park service.

Good luck to you! It is such an awesome life style!
arandruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Being from a long line of junk drawer people (hey, that stuff is useful), my wife came up with a genius idea to cut down one of those plastic pocket shoe organizers for the back of a full-size door to just fit the inside of each closet door. Now all our cords and chargers and flashlights and "junk" is clearly visible to find, secured for travel and that dead space in front of hanging clothes is the most useful space in the trailer.Trick is to use clear packing tape to secure the edges of the trimmed down organizer and be sure to position the gap under the first line of pockets to align with the shelf so the doors close neatly and don't bind.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote