Old 04-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Sound dampening

Does anyone have suggestions for improving upon the flimsy accordion partition door in order to create a quiet work area? We travel with a 3 yo child and have a 30fb bunk and use the front bedroom to double as an office space with a wall mounted standing laptop desk, but closing the accordion door currently does essentially nothing for sound when you need to make a phone call.

AKNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
The great outdoors is incredible for helping with that. At that age, itís going to be loud and disruptive until they can learn how to entertain themselves via reading, writing, coloring, playing in the dirt, learning about nature. Entertainment via TV is an unfortunate option as well...

You could put more of a sliding barn door style but but when youíre in 200 sqft of living space, noise from others is an inevitability.

BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I’m not sure Bose makes child-sound-canceling headphones yet so ear buds connected to Gulch Radio might be your best bet.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for improving upon the flimsy accordion partition door in order to create a quiet work area? We travel with a 3 yo child and have a 30fb bunk and use the front bedroom to double as an office space with a wall mounted standing laptop desk, but closing the accordion door currently does essentially nothing for sound when you need to make a phone call.
Outside is a great suggestion, or your TV also works well. Or, send the mom and child out?? In a noisy environment, I have used headphones with noise canceling and microphone which filters noise 2 ft away...expensive but it worked well for me talking with customers in a busy/noisy office. Good luck!
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Yes, in order:

Headphones
Outside (one or the other of you)
Jam something like peanut butter into the ankle-bitter's oral cavity and/or tell them some crazy story about a monster outside listening for small children to eat.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks for all the suggestions! We do try to utilize the outdoors whenever possible, but sometimes the weather doesnít allow that. The main concern is what people on the other end of the phone hear, so headphones wouldnít really help, but an advanced headset might. We currently essentially use the peanut butter suggestion, but it becomes tiresome on days that require a lot of calls. Even when 3 yo cooperates, you still have to stop any dishwashing, espresso making, etc. My current thinking was to get some sort of sound mat to Velcro or otherwise attach over the doorway that would deaden the sound enough that the company supplied headset would be adequate. I think a previous Safari bunk model had a similar layout to our FC, but a solid door instead of a curtain, so copying something like that might also work.
AKNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Sound dampening

Ainít gonna happen. I home office and Iím 1.5 stories away from the action at the other end of a large home, and still there are times I need to toggle mute on my $450 plantronics super duper noise canceling headset.

Your best option with kids is not to work in the trailer. Itís just not going to work if you are on calls as a professional.

Get a membership as wework or galvanize and go to a real office where you can close the door and have sound proofing. They have spaces in major cities all over the US so your office follows you as you move from city to city.
wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:05 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
product idea

With my 7 grandkids here while their household goods catch up to them, and reading this, I am inspired by an old idea from Get Smart: the Cone of Silence. Look for my Kickstarter page. First $1m gets the first unit. Should sell like hotcakes.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! We do try to utilize the outdoors whenever possible, but sometimes the weather doesnít allow that. The main concern is what people on the other end of the phone hear, so headphones wouldnít really help, but an advanced headset might. We currently essentially use the peanut butter suggestion, but it becomes tiresome on days that require a lot of calls. Even when 3 yo cooperates, you still have to stop any dishwashing, espresso making, etc. My current thinking was to get some sort of sound mat to Velcro or otherwise attach over the doorway that would deaden the sound enough that the company supplied headset would be adequate. I think a previous Safari bunk model had a similar layout to our FC, but a solid door instead of a curtain, so copying something like that might also work.
Plantronics is what I had also, but spendy. I still say use the cockpit of your TV; start the engine if hot/cold and run the AC or heat. I have done that several times, including using my speakerphone with my computer plugged in. Very private and comfy.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
With my 7 grandkids here while their household goods catch up to them, and reading this, I am inspired by an old idea from Get Smart: the Cone of Silence. Look for my Kickstarter page. First $1m gets the first unit. Should sell like hotcakes.
Hmmm, let me know when you work the kinks out. rofl
Pledged my dollar.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, at it's core, this is a simple physics challenge in the same way that going to the moon is.

Sound, as we know, is simply a wave of vibrations moving though a medium like air or water or solid material. If we can interrupt that medium, like in a vacuum, the waves cannot bridge that, and the sound stops.

In my field of audio/video production, there are many examples of ingenious building techniques to isolate sound. The thing is, sound waves come in a wide range of frequencies (the Human ear, at least when we are young, can perceive a range from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz or more).

There have been "floating studios" built, which are essentially rooms built within rooms where the inner walls are separated from the outer walls, never touching. Connections for electricity and air have elaborate bellow-like mechanisms to isolate any vibration transmission. The rooms are built on rubber pads or giant springs to further mitigate sound transfer. NASA built even more elaborate sound-proof anechoic chambers.

You can search for "portable sound booths" on the inner pipes to see what is commercially available as well as "poor man's" DIY attempts that could give you some ideas. None will be as cheap or simple as moving to your TV, however.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Well, at it's core, this is a simple physics challenge in the same way that going to the moon is.

Sound, as we know, is simply a wave of vibrations moving though a medium like air or water or solid material. If we can interrupt that medium, like in a vacuum, the waves cannot bridge that, and the sound stops.

In my field of audio/video production, there are many examples of ingenious building techniques to isolate sound. The thing is, sound waves come in a wide range of frequencies (the Human ear, at least when we are young, can perceive a range from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz or more).

There have been "floating studios" built, which are essentially rooms built within rooms where the inner walls are separated from the outer walls, never touching. Connections for electricity and air have elaborate bellow-like mechanisms to isolate any vibration transmission. The rooms are built on rubber pads or giant springs to further mitigate sound transfer. NASA built even more elaborate sound-proof anechoic chambers.

You can search for "portable sound booths" on the inner pipes to see what is commercially available as well as "poor man's" DIY attempts that could give you some ideas. None will be as cheap or simple as moving to your TV, however.
The gaps under/over the slide door, thickness of the slide door, and inherent size of the AS, says you are barking up the wrong tree to isolate sound out of your conversation...get into the TV when you need privacy and be happy!