Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bradenton , Florida
Soon to be

Hello folks,

I have asked a few questions in other areas and have gotten back some decent feedback.

I am soon to make the jump to full timing. Plan to do it at the lower end but with a lot of preliminary work and fact finding. I am not planning a serious vintage approach, rather looking for the best deal.

My movement will be seasonal for the most part. I am expecting to workamp my way around. Not interested in jumping from place to place. More interested in finding a few of those off the beaten path, places that I can return to when the weather turns. Who knows?? I may find a place where I want to stay the whole year?

So, with spending some time lurking and following some of the threads, I believe that I am in the market for a 25 - 31 AS.

I have been saddled with the thought that I should have a center bath model, no matter the length of the trailer. Might be me, but it seems to make sense in a couple of areas. A separate room for sleeping and a central weight load, with all the tanks.

I do not believe that I could go below 25'. It will be myself and a dog and a possible temporary guest. With knowing my travel guidelines, I feel that I would also be comfortable with a 31'. I will not be spending any time in winter weather and it seems to get hot everywhere during the summer.

I have no plans to visit special places except ones where I can find decent accomodations on the outskirts, maybe a town or two over the line.

As it seems that all the spots on the California coast, are costing a bunch of money, I can rule them out and look for interior places with small towns on a river. Or trade those geological features for a high country desert. I plan to be adaptable.

I have been learning here for about five months and just recently found out about toilet paper! I guess I am glad that I followed that post? Why would I ask that question???

Which brings me to the point of there being other, unseen or talked about, ways of doing things. Sure would not want to find out that the solar film on the windows was not blocking vision from the outside when the lights were on.

So, I have almost 4 months to get this done. Which includes finding a TV, also on the used end. I am in Southwest Florida and except for that rally that was held here, a couple of months ago, there does not seem to be a bunch of airstream stuff happening.

I am asking for any links to past posts and any ideas or comments on my preconceived notions, regarding living and traveling, the airstream road.

I thank you for your time and ahead for any help that you can provide,,,,

Steve
steve206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi, Steve, and welcome to airforums.com, if you haven't been welcomed already.

I think you're on the right track, size-wise, and I also agree that the mid-bath is the way to go, but for a different reason.

With the bathroom in the rear, while you do get a much larger, more open bath, you do have the distinct disadvantage of people having to walk through your sleeping area if they need to use it after lights-out time. Not so with mid-bath, it's equal access for all.

If you look at the weights of the trailers, you might notice that the mid-bath ones often weigh a little more, or at least they do in the age range of ours. I'm not sure I understand why that is. I can understand that they might have a heavier tongue weight, since the fulcrum effect is reduced by putting the weight over the axles, compared to putting the tanks at the very back as ours has them.

If by saying "at the lower end" you mean that you will shop for lower-priced TTs, it's my feeling that there is a cut-off to watch out for. I mean that you can by a TT the age of ours for $3,000 or less that might look to be in good shape, but chances are you will have to cough up several thousand to replace all the appliances, along with the additional aggravation that adds.

Suggest you consider units that have had all that stuff done fairly recently, because chances are you will really appreciate that everything is sealed, and everything works, and maybe some of the interior has been brought more up to date, so that you can then concentrate just on enjoying the ride, so to speak.

So that will come at a more premium price, for any year of used TT that you consider. If it's all been done, it could easily bring the $3,000 unit to $10k or more. Up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Just food for thought...
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Here's a 76 with all the new stuff you will want

Classic 1976 Airstream 31 Foot

If you want more pictures I can send a zip file with 28 Pics.
stanwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
The workcamping sounds good. We applied for that and I got to thinking about the movie (Grapes Of Wrath) where those poor people were suckered into slaving. anyway..when you DO get your Airstream and the one you want -you may also look into the Army corps of engineers where they give you a place to live with hook ups and all (each one is a little different) -but they are everywhere in Park like settings- lakes etc. But outside of all else, make your prioritys work for you in getting what you want. GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
you may also look into the Army corps of engineers where they give you a place to live with hook ups and all (each one is a little different) -but they are everywhere in Park like settings- lakes etc.
I agree about the ACOE parks - we've stayed at many all over the country and have never stayed at one that we didn't really like. Definitely check them out for hosting opportunities.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the Forums!