Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Surrey , Surrey
i only have dec, jan and feb to find an RV, do you find the 28' has enuff room for you both and your great danes no problem? i'm just trying to find a place for two computer stations haha... tho we do have a small dog and a cat, and i have no idea where to put a cat box! it's been a very long and frustrating day that had me almost giving up on my dream of an airstream, tho the good news is that i have actually talked hubby into researching them and he's quite on board with the idea now and is searching too tho not quite as obsessively as i am! i wish i lived in the states, there seem to be zillions of them down there!!
shrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Surrey , Surrey
think i found one in california, it's a dealer, so will ship, it depends on how much the shipping costs! but i'm letting myself get a little excited, tell me, is it possible to pull out the end couch, and put in a couple of recliners? do recliners FIT into an airstreams door? IF I can do that, i will be a happy camper, so to speak
Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrug
think i found one in california, it's a dealer, so will ship, it depends on how much the shipping costs! but i'm letting myself get a little excited, tell me, is it possible to pull out the end couch, and put in a couple of recliners? do recliners FIT into an airstreams door? IF I can do that, i will be a happy camper, so to speak
Hi Shrug, many Airstreamers have swapped out the sofa for the recliners. Personally, we like the extra seating and sleeping area for visitors that the sofa offers.

We are full-timing in Austin TX in a 34' Classic Limited with a cat (I got rid of the cat box and trained him on the toilet). It has been a year and a half and we have loved every minute of it and don't have any desire to live in a sticks and bricks house again. On financing, we couldn't find anyone who would finance an rv for less than 9% which was ridiculous to us. But we had equity in both of our vehicles, so we refinanced them at 1.9% for their full value with our credit union and that gave us enough cash to by our airstream.

We have visited friends in British Columbia and we both felt that it had to be the most beautiful city in North America. It is awesome that you guys are living there as we always talk about how great airstream life would be there. We are planning our streamcation this summer and want a trip from Tx up the west coast into B.C. and maybe continue up to Alaska.

Just keep looking and things will come together. It took 6 months to convince my husband and 3 months to find the one and move in.

~Yevette
Attached Images

yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Surrey , Surrey
oooooh Yvette, that's a lovely picture, and yes, as it turns out my husband isn't convinced at all and says he wants to wait, which to me means, spend what little money we have left to buy an RV... so as of Mar 1st we will be homeless because we won't have an RV or the money to buy one... i'm glad we at least got the land, can always pitch a tent haha... oh hubby is now saying he will have more money at the end of Feb, he must know something i don't!

but yes, well we don't care about guests as much as COMPUTER STATIONS haha so the recliners would be nice for us

you guys are great, i think all people that live in airstreams my have 'the cool factor' in their personalities xoxoxoxox
Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Shrug:
Here is an interesting knowledge nugget; all of the "stuff" in an Airstream is brought in through the front door. It can all be removed the same way! I removed both couches in mine to clean/check everything behind them. Piece of cake!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Why not just get a park model, if you're not planning to travel with the trailer? With an airstream you will need to be careful about freezing water lines, etc. You'll go through propane and electricity like nothing at all heating it (I know this first hand after spending a Vancouver winter in mine). At least park models are better insulated and designed to sit in one spot year round.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Here's a 25' in Tucson for $11.9k. Looks in good condition. Pick it up and have a little adventure!
P.S., I don't know the owner. It was in the L.A. Craigslist is how I happened to spot it.
1990- 25' Airstream Rear Bedroom
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Wow, that looks great!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
shrug, I live in the Fraser Valley; it's almost impossible to find a used AS here.

I am winter driveway-camping. The "cool" factor becomes the "cold" factor. You know our winter has been fairly mild (so far) but as cameront said, you will go through a lot of electricity and propane when an Arctic front rolls in.

I don't know what your situation is - but you strike me as being fairly young. Don't know what you mean by "having the land," but building a small house, cottage, or moving a park model onto it (if the zoning allows) might be the better investment for a younger couple with bare land.

Most Airstreamers have (or had a real house) and are retired (or not too far away from retiring) and decide to spend some of their nest egg on a Airstream.

Don't mean to disuade you, but there is a high degree of "romance factor" vs. long-term practicality surrounding these trailers.

Anyway, the only new Airstream dealership in B.C. is Traveland in Langley. They also have used inventory (mostly SOB). You could ask them to phone you if and when a pre-owned Airstream comes into the lot. I bought my trailer new there, but just missed out on a decent used one. BTW, Airstreams built for the Canadian market have certain regulatory upgrades the built-for American ones don't.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Yeah, my Bambi is coming from Canada, so I know I have the heavier axles and more marker lights - don't know what else is different in a Canadian trailer.

I'm personally looking forward to becoming handy and maybe even mechanical, although I'm going to have to watch out not exasperating people with noob questions. Someday, I'm hoping to build a tiny house somewhere for us to retire to, and will measure five times before cutting once!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Surrey , Surrey
that's a very good nugget i didn't know everything went in thru the door! thank you

and as far as a park model goes, my hubby may get his way and we'll get one, he wants to wait till the last minute to buy anyway, so i guess i'll 'find out' in Feb. but i thought airstreams were great in the winter, am i mistaken then?

Tucson is very very far away and i need a 1992 model or later, for my husband just found out that the park won't budge on the older than 20 years rule, unless we can somehow change the paperwork i and everything else so they can't find out how old it is lol

cheers xoxoxoxox
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Surrey , Surrey
oh i missed out on those last two messages, didn't see page 3... ok, so i'm not young really, and my husband may retire when he turns 50 in a few days, but ok, you guys have talked me out of an airstream then, if you think i will freeze and such, then what's the point? we have land in a resort property, not bare land, so we still need a home with wheels not a stationary one that can never move... well it's been very nice chatting with y'all and thanks for steering me in the right direction and such, i will miss my airstream dream
Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Shrug, you aren't the first to find out that an Airstream isn't for everyone, and you certainly won't be the last. Be glad that you found out before you spent the money. I'm still trying to find out who told me "I'd rather ask a thousand questions before I write a big check than ask the same question a thousand times afterward."

You have been doing exactly the right thing in asking lots of questions. The answers may not have been what you wanted to hear, but at least you are listening to those answers. You are still young enough that your situation may (and probably will) change in the future, and an Airstream may well fit in your life then.

DW and I both like Airstreams, and we're still considering one for when we retire in a few years and become fulltimers. So far we haven't heard anything that would absolutely rule one out, but we have heard enough that there are a few caution flags flying. Like you, our finances are very limited, so we want to buy something that is as close to perfect for us as possible.

Airstreams are meant for traveling. It sounds like you will be parked for much of the year, but want the option to travel as time and weather permit. Here's a link to a 5er that PPL has for sale. 1997 Carriage Carri Lite 531RKS for Sale - F720 - PPL Motor Homes Yes, it is in Houston, Texas, which is a bit far for you to go, but is something that might suit you.

You mentioned that the park is very strict on the age of the trailer. Does that mean that once a trailer reaches 20 years old it must go, or only that it must be less than 20 years old when it comes in?

Good luck on your searches.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Surrey , Surrey
thanks David, it still makes me sad, but you are right, better to find out now... i really like that RV you showed me, wish i could find something like that here!! i really wanted an airstream with seperate beds, coz hubby and i both have different needs for our backs... i've never seen one like it, other than an airstream... thanks!!

shrug xoxoxoxox

Tags
wanted