Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Question size decision, help?

Hi all,

I'm almost there. I've narrowed it down to a 27' or 28'. It might be just incorrect perception on my part, but there don't seem to be a lot of members with the 28'. If so, is there a reason the 27' is more popular. This will be my first AS and first rv, and I'll be full-timing. Is it just a matter of preference or are there other considerations? Thanks, Annie
anniemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Where will you be living? Will it be in a moderate climate?
I see you live in the northeast.
That will be chilly in the winter. These units are not really designed for cold weather. Or really hot weather for that matter.
I will assume your Tundra has a tow package. But does it have "tow mirrors" and a "brake controller"? You will also need an "equalizer hitch" and "sway control device". Just to give you a heads up.
Not to be nosey. But will it just be you?
Have you decided on a double or twin bed model?
Do you have your eye on a particular unit at this time.
Will you be traveling with the coach or pretty much staying in one place? The reason I ask is your statement of being your first RV. While 28' is a moderate sized unit. It will take some practice to handle it.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We started full-timing in February 2013 in an 1999 Excella 28'. Has plenty of storage space. I would have preferred the 25' for traveling and parking convenience but hubby said I need more space. We have never had an RV..just tent camped. So far the handling has not been a problem but we do take our time and dont rush anything. I do all the backing and he does all the directing. Works for us. Still think I would prefer the 25'.

Good Luck! hope to see you down the road
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Thanks for your feedback. I plan to be in Maine from around May to October, then either TX or NC during winter months, with some trips in between. I'm doing it solo, so a big learning curve since it's my first AS. I've gotten clearer since I posted this question. I'm going to go with an Int'l 27' since Colonial has a used 2011, and there aren't any used 28' available. Thanks again, Annie
Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
For ease of newbie towing I'd suggest starting with the shortest trailer that meets your needs. That led us to our 23' '71 Safari, the shortest we could find with dual axles. I still find backing it up adequately challenging.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post
Hi all,

I'm almost there. I've narrowed it down to a 27' or 28'. It might be just incorrect perception on my part, but there don't seem to be a lot of members with the 28'. If so, is there a reason the 27' is more popular. This will be my first AS and first rv, and I'll be full-timing. Is it just a matter of preference or are there other considerations? Thanks, Annie
I don't think a foot in length is a serious concern. Far more important is the layout that works for you and the STYLE of the interior that you like. Subtle differences in the layouts can be very significant once you begin camping.

Beds, bathrooms, and galleys may look the same when you walk through on the dealer's lot. When you begin using it, you find all the little and sometimes big problems with it when you are full timing. I'd spend a lot of time alone on the lot going through the motions. Pretend you are cooking. Sit on the toilet. Lay on the bed. Etc. I bet you find the important differences quickly! A 27 or 28 will tow easily and with the same vehicle.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Some folks do not like the model 28 because the sink is next to the sofa and water and food stuffs often fall onto it. The entrance door is hinged on the rear side and can swing around and shatter the opened glass front window beside the dinette. Airstream, in my opinion, should make that a fixed window to preclude damage if the wind were to catch the door with the window open.

Otherwise, it is a great floor plan.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One other thing to keep in mind is that in the Airstream world the term 27 and 28 is much like 30 and 31. What I'm saying is that many of the Airstreams monikered 27' are truly 28' in length. My 30' Airstream is technically 31' long, the same as the 31' model. My 2001 27' Safari was truly 28' in length.

With my Classic, the difference between a 30' and a 31' model is just the interior layout. So if you look really close you may find that the 27' or 28' model you are looking at is really 28' in length, the difference is in the interior design.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

My 2 cents is that backing is not that big of a deal. My wife drives our 25 Safari without ever learning how to back properly. She took a solo trip with a previous travel trailer and asked someone to help her when she had to back into a site. Otherwise she did fine going forward. I can back almost anywhere but can always figure out how not to. You can always get pull throughs.
Perhaps the poster has experience with smaller trailers. If so the Airstream is easier to back than a smaller trailer if you go slow, get out and look if necessary and place the trailer in the right place before backing.
Maneuvering around gas stations without scraping something or getting into a place that is hard to back out of is what a beginner should anticipate and always think ahead to avoid. If a place looks to tight to maneuver in comfortably, it probably is. There are always other gas pumps.
With full timing, the big issue for me would be living in that tiny trailer for months on end. I like to camp but always look forward to getting back to the comfort of a house.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have been told that the 27 and the 28 are the same length. I think that is the case.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I plan to be in Maine from around May to October, then either TX or NC during winter months, with some trips in between. I'm doing it solo, so a big learning curve since it's my first AS. I've gotten clearer since I posted this question. I'm going to go with an Int'l 27' since Colonial has a used 2011, and there aren't any used 28' available. Thanks again, Annie
Annie,

Good luck with your new purchase. We like the team at Colonial and they just fixed am electrical problem in our 27 Classic that had the tech guys from Airstream and Colonial scratching their heads.

We purchased our trailer there in February, training in our 25 Safari. The sales process was easy and efficient.

The layout in the 27 is great layout. We really love the twin beds in our Classic as it provides so much more living space and outside storage.

Let us know how you make out!

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 27FB Flying Cloud or International models are exactly 28' feet long. the 27FB Classic is 27' 9.5" long. The model 28 flying Cloud and International models measure 27' 11" long.

Airstream measures from the ball socket to the bumper while others measure just their box size and one must add about 3' for the triangle that forms the hitch.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
i have the 28' and there are considerable differences between the 27' and the 28'. Primarily....and this is why I went for the 28....the bedroom is in the rear of the trailer, and the door is in the front. The 27 has the BR in the front of the trailer, and you enter from the rear. I had to laugh at the post about people getting a free shower if they sit on the sofa, as I have yet to do this! In reality, the 27' is slightly longer than the 28 (go figure). The tongue weight on the 28 is also higher - 950 lbs if memory serves me. Anyway, I think it really is a matter of personal preference. I have friends who have the 27' and love it. I also have friends who like my floor plan. That's what's nice about having the option to select one that suits you. Regarding the comment about trailer length. I understand most folks would say that in most cases the extra length is worth it. And in terms of towing (and backing), the longer trailers are supposedly easier to back.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
... I understand most folks would say that in most cases the extra length is worth it. And in terms of towing (and backing), the longer trailers are supposedly easier to back.
The extra length IS worth it but sometimes a shorter is ok and fun. I can confirm that a 34' is MUCH easier to back up than a 26'
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Wow! Thank you all so much. I have learned some valuable information - That backing up in a longer trailer is easier, makes me happy I didn't go with 25' because I was nervous about backing up. And also that the trailer sizes are not as accurate as I assumed. I so appreciate your feed back and to hear what others are experiencing. I can't wait to be one of you. I'm so excited to be finally picking up my own AS on Thursday! Annie
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I don't think a foot in length is a serious concern. Far more important is the layout that works for you and the STYLE of the interior that you like. Subtle differences in the layouts can be very significant once you begin camping
I am not a full-timer but I have become addicted to studying the layouts of these silver beasts the past few years AND I bought mine to travel solo most often. The above quote is good advice but you may lack the experience in a camper to know what you need. I will tell you as the owner of a 25' twin with a "traditional lounge layout" that I have more than enough storage for my stuff. A twin is handy in floor space and has three outside storage areas plus under bed storage AND lockers too. Aside from that, what I would like more of is kitchen counter space and a more comfortable sitting area that can seat three comfortably (for when I have others). The comfort seating though is still important, even for one. I cannot imagine that longer trailers are easier to back other than one vs. two axle considerations but that too is my lack of knowledge or experience. Perhaps three axles does something I do not know in the backing process.

So, between the models you are talking about I believe there is a closet difference and a lounge difference. I will tell you that as a single person I prefer the 28' layout. The sink spraying the couch is a non issue since there is one person. What I note is that if I choose to use the side dinette for kitchen counter prep, I can leave the mess and walk over to the lounge and eat AND sit in a normal straight-on direction and watch TV or something and clean up later. I like that L Lounge. The models that have the seating with dinette in the front and lounge on the side are not as beneficial to a single person use (my opinion) although nearly all floorplans now in AS are this way. The real reason for this is more sleeping area. How many beds does a single need?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
So, Rodster, since I posted about my 28, I will also let you know that I travel solo (well with Rhoda, the basset hound). Somewhere on here you'll see some photos of a conversion process I used to turn the mirrored closet into shelving for canned foods/pots and pans, etc. (There is more than adequate hanging space in the four rear wardrobes). I used roller slide out shelves form Lowe's in this modification. Works super! Don't sweat the backing up. You just have to practice -- and when I got my trailer I spent some time in a vacant parking lot with a couple of day-glo orange cones. I set up and break camp (and hitch) by myself, as do a lot of folks on Airforum. I've actually had folks come over and offer to ground guide me and help me hitch. I politely refuse as I've learned it's safer to just take my time and do it myself.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Think of the 28 as a rear bed version of the 27 front bed. That's important to us in many RV resorts where living room in the rear means you are usually backed up to another trailer, you see them and they look down into your Airstream. Front living room means you are facing the activity areas, or at least the street.

There are also long-term comfort issues with dinette seating. We have it, will probably convert it to two recliner chairs.

I like the 28 for long term use, the 30 is better but is another 3 feet to maneuver at gas stations and campgrounds. Maneuverability actually has more to due with tow vehicle wheelbase than trailer length, the shorter the better.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
We like the team at Colonial
Yup.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Great peeps at Colonial as I have purchased all three of my Airstreams there and the Service Department is top notch!

Out of a 30 Classic, 25FB Classic and back to 27FB International Serenity - I Love the door located aft with the sleeping area up front as for I, usually the view is in the back.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote