Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Wow! Thank you all so much. I have learned some valuable information - That backing up in a longer trailer is easier, makes me happy I didn't go with 25' because I was nervous about backing up. And also that the trailer sizes are not as accurate as I assumed. I so appreciate your feed back and to hear what others are experiencing. I can't wait to be one of you. I'm so excited to be finally picking up my own AS on Thursday! Annie

anniemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I don't think a foot in length is a serious concern. Far more important is the layout that works for you and the STYLE of the interior that you like. Subtle differences in the layouts can be very significant once you begin camping
I am not a full-timer but I have become addicted to studying the layouts of these silver beasts the past few years AND I bought mine to travel solo most often. The above quote is good advice but you may lack the experience in a camper to know what you need. I will tell you as the owner of a 25' twin with a "traditional lounge layout" that I have more than enough storage for my stuff. A twin is handy in floor space and has three outside storage areas plus under bed storage AND lockers too. Aside from that, what I would like more of is kitchen counter space and a more comfortable sitting area that can seat three comfortably (for when I have others). The comfort seating though is still important, even for one. I cannot imagine that longer trailers are easier to back other than one vs. two axle considerations but that too is my lack of knowledge or experience. Perhaps three axles does something I do not know in the backing process.

So, between the models you are talking about I believe there is a closet difference and a lounge difference. I will tell you that as a single person I prefer the 28' layout. The sink spraying the couch is a non issue since there is one person. What I note is that if I choose to use the side dinette for kitchen counter prep, I can leave the mess and walk over to the lounge and eat AND sit in a normal straight-on direction and watch TV or something and clean up later. I like that L Lounge. The models that have the seating with dinette in the front and lounge on the side are not as beneficial to a single person use (my opinion) although nearly all floorplans now in AS are this way. The real reason for this is more sleeping area. How many beds does a single need?

rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
So, Rodster, since I posted about my 28, I will also let you know that I travel solo (well with Rhoda, the basset hound). Somewhere on here you'll see some photos of a conversion process I used to turn the mirrored closet into shelving for canned foods/pots and pans, etc. (There is more than adequate hanging space in the four rear wardrobes). I used roller slide out shelves form Lowe's in this modification. Works super! Don't sweat the backing up. You just have to practice -- and when I got my trailer I spent some time in a vacant parking lot with a couple of day-glo orange cones. I set up and break camp (and hitch) by myself, as do a lot of folks on Airforum. I've actually had folks come over and offer to ground guide me and help me hitch. I politely refuse as I've learned it's safer to just take my time and do it myself.
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Think of the 28 as a rear bed version of the 27 front bed. That's important to us in many RV resorts where living room in the rear means you are usually backed up to another trailer, you see them and they look down into your Airstream. Front living room means you are facing the activity areas, or at least the street.

There are also long-term comfort issues with dinette seating. We have it, will probably convert it to two recliner chairs.

I like the 28 for long term use, the 30 is better but is another 3 feet to maneuver at gas stations and campgrounds. Maneuverability actually has more to due with tow vehicle wheelbase than trailer length, the shorter the better.

dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
We like the team at Colonial
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Great peeps at Colonial as I have purchased all three of my Airstreams there and the Service Department is top notch!

Out of a 30 Classic, 25FB Classic and back to 27FB International Serenity - I Love the door located aft with the sleeping area up front as for I, usually the view is in the back.

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote