Old 09-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
Somewhere in , Texas
I am so excited because I will be traveling full time in my Airstream this fall. Maybe we could create a little club. By the way, I am scared too, but I like living on the edge of Yikes!

Mymosaicmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
I'm single, retired and go on extended AS journeys, alone. This year I installed a Voyager wireless backup camera on my new AS. Never needed one for the last 20 years ( though the tech. was not readily available then) but it sure works great and takes a lot of guessing out of it. But, out of habit, I still get out as much as in the past to just make sure. PS: the camera saved me a big boobo this summer. there are many threads out there for you to get info. on a backup camera, all kinds, all pricies. I highly recommend one. Don't be worried or discouraged about going it alone. It is easily done.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #17
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Tempe , Arizona
I'm a single Airstreamer; bought my first trailer ever 2 1/2 years ago, my retirement gift to myself. I've traveled from AZ to PA twice, and have had only minor issues. Backing up hasn't been one of them! Backing up gets easier; installing a rear view camera on the back of the trailer was the best thing I did! The camera is actually of more use when driving on freeways so well worth the investment.
Nancy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Single here, with a 22' CCD. You get better with practice! Get a repositionable back-up camera, or one for each vehicle. Or another alignment tool like those tennis balls on telescoping magnetic mounts.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Single, female, OTD, backing problem

First, OTD=older than dirt, FYI

On my third AS, had a 44' moho as well...backing up, I have a camera in the rear of the trailer, but, this is not how I back up. Two good mirrors, understanding what the word "slowly" means, and the most important point......the direction you push the bottom of your TV's steering wheel is the direction the trailer will head...sort of.

As a trailer backs up, the angle of the steering wheel has more influence the more one backs, so, once the trailer is at the angle desired to back around an obstacle, the wheel must be straightened up slightly.

Did I say "slowly"? The best thing to do is to practice in an empty parking lot, set up cones or something, then practice. I regularly stay at the large fuel stations, backing my 30' Serenity not slots between trucks, roughly 3' clearance on each side. Also, when backing into a space, make every attempt to have the TV and trailer lined up so you can back straight in......much easier this way.

As to driving on the road, I will drive for up to 14 hours, but, I may stop for several short times during this period. Usually I will show about 3 hours stopped time each 14 hour day. I stop often, immediately if I feel tired, may take two or three 10 minute naps...

I drive about 60 - 65 mph when towing. The sound system may be playing anything from audio books, music, news, or old time radio, or off. I even change sun glasses to add to the variety during the day.

And, in less than 48 hours, i will be heading to Wisconsin again, meeting up with the Wisconsin Unit at Road America. May drive 600 or more miles the first day...

So, anyone can do this....oh, one more thing, I do get out and check myself when backing. I NEVER rely on someone else guiding me, except, a professional truck driver in a truck stop...they understand what is going on in most cases.
Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
We have a 25' with a RVS camera on the trailer plus the TV has a back-up camera. Married 50 yrs and plan to stay that way so the boss stays in the passenger seat when I back to hook up or into a camp site. Practice, practice, practice before you head to a camp ground the first time. As others have emphasized; slowly, slowly, slowly whenever you are backing and if you have any doubt, get out and look! You will do fine, we all had to learn how to do it. Welcome to the Forum and good luck!
2014 25FB International Serenity, Blue OX Sway Pro,
2016 F350 4x4 Ultimate Lariat crew cab SRW, LWB, 6.7 PSD, 20" wheels, Ingot Silver Metallic, DiamondBack tonneau cover, TrailFX wheel-to-wheel step bars.
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I spent two years "half timing?" (two weeks on two weeks off) for certain jobs all the time first in my 34' 1998 Bounder, and more recently in my 36' 2000 LandYacht XCDP and it's always just myself and my dogs. Well my dog's are no help when it comes to setting up, breaking down, or with anything other than keeping me company...and solo set-up/break-down on my Airstream and toad is actually quite easy. It sometimes surprises other people at the resort...(shout out to Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort while I'm at home away from home for a lonnnggg time) mainly those with TT's (not at LVMC, Class A only...also mostly full timing Prevost owners...some of whom were also solo full timers...we bonded) And one thing in RVing I know that holds true no matter what campground, RV park or resort you're at, if you need help somebody's always willing to give it...easily one of my favourite things about RVing. =) So yes, if I can handle a 36' DP with a H2 toad by myself, you can definitely tow an Airstream solo (but I can't recommend enough looking into drivables with toads as they're MUCH easier to set up and break down by yourself...just think about putting down manual jacks..ugh...)
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #22
Currently Looking...
Saint Peters , Missouri

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and all the great tricks and tips. You all have helped to build my confidence that this could be in my future. If you see an AS with cameras all over it, that's probably mine. I appreciate it and I have learned, in a short time, what super people own Airstreams!
Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 30
Annapolis , Maryland
You have all the time in the world to do each little step. So you back in crooked a couple of times. Who cares? No one at the campground, I can assure you, because they have all done it. When you call to see if their is a space available, tell them you are new and will need help. They will be more than glad to help because they don't want you to run over their utilities. That would be way more work for them than it would be for you!

See you on the road.
Signed....."one more old dog who has learned a lot of new tricks."
kaa4111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
9 years and counting

I had to add that after Ian Poulin's post. He's the nicest person, but goodness gracious Ian, I hope you hide "dollie" when your nieces and nephews visit! I'm still giggling over the picture in my mind. I trust you'll never do that at Virginia Highland Haven. (HEY, are you going to Falluminum? Wanna see my new truck? 2500 GMC Diesel Sierra... I'll let you drive it!)

Now from a woman's standpoint. Go to a thrift store and buy a pair of broken down work boots - size 12 or larger (Ian COULD help with that). Get them really muddy and then store them in a plastic bag. If you're ever in an uncomfortable camping situation with other humans, leave them lying outside the door, and when you leave the trailer to birdwatch or just dump trash, turn back to the open door and shout "Festis, you lazy S.O.B. just once could you help with.................. instead of spending your whole life cleaning your damn guns!" You won't draw a lot of visitors.

Seriously, If I get a bad vibe, I don't unhitch, but turn around and leave. I've always felt safe in the parking lots of Cracker Barrel, and you can join many fraternal organizations and use their parking facilities (basic to say the least) but I recently joined the Moose - and am possibly the youngest member there (67), but they will welcome you to dinner at the lodge and give you lots of local history too.

I've stayed in Walmart parking lots, truck lots, and primitive BLM land when out west... But I do generally go for a KOA on a first night in a new area or when time is of the essence. When I'm free for a week or more, I'll explore widely and sometimes move camp. I'm surprised at how many towns and cities actually have camping in their parks - often just a dozen or fewer sites.

Of course you do worry about "something bad" but virtually everyone I've met is great. I do carry wasp and/or bear spray. It's legal (be careful you can blind someone with it) and it does keep unpleasant critters away. It does not work on snakes though, so do try to know whether the local ones are poisonous and when in doubt act like they are.

Go for it! And since you've had other RV's you have a leg up on where I was when I started. But I still offer this advice: even Airstreams depreciate faster than you'd think they would. Look for a gently gently used one (My Eddie Bauer had been owned by a doctor who bought it totally on impulse and let it sit in his yard for 9 months before selling it back to the dealership. The bed was unused. Everything was unused. I guess he just had a manic fugue and when he came out of it, decided "Hilton" was as primitive as he wanted to go. His return to his reality - my gain. And it came into Colonial's inventory when I badly needed a new unit.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Richmond , Indiana
I have owned many travel trailers in my lifetime even an Airstream 25 foot Safari six sleeper.
After a little practice it gets easier.
I am 66 years old and I too would love to own a nice little Airstream maybe a 19 or 22 footer.
I would love to tow and go to many of the places I have visited during my life while on vacations. Only this time I could stay longer and enjoy the slower pace of really seeing the things I previously had to rush through. I'm looking for an Airstream now but most are out of my price range.
Vaughn Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Vaughn, You didn't mention what your budget was, but my next choice after an Airstream - especially on the smaller side - would be an OLIVER. It's fiberglass and made like a fiberglass boat. Low maintenance. About $40k new for the bigger one a 22ft trailer. FIVE YEAR warranty!

Oliver Travel Trailers | Fiberglass Travel Trailers

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Originally Posted by Vaughn Hobbs View Post
I have owned many travel trailers in my lifetime even an Airstream 25 foot Safari six sleeper.
After a little practice it gets easier.
I am 66 years old and I too would love to own a nice little Airstream maybe a 19 or 22 footer.
I would love to tow and go to many of the places I have visited during my life while on vacations. Only this time I could stay longer and enjoy the slower pace of really seeing the things I previously had to rush through. I'm looking for an Airstream now but most are out of my price range.

You only get to go around once. Better find a used small Airstream that is in your price range and just go camping and traveling. Don't wait any longer. Fall is a great time to look for a new trailer.

Good Luck, Dan

Congrats on the new truck Paula! I guess you will be doing a lot more traveling now. I am very happy for you.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote: "GOAL" = Get Out And Look. Practice backing in a large, empty parking lot first. Early Sunday morning in large shopping malls are ideal for this (mind the light poles!)."
Ditto that.. I have traveled with my wife for 20 years, but she, bless her soul, is hopeless at guiding me while backing. Get out and look.... it some times takes a few stops and reconnoiters before I hit the mark, but the satisfaction of a nicely placed trailer on a campsite is worth it!

Advice about putting your hand on the bottom of the wheel really works. You move the wheel toward where you want the trailer to go and you don't have to think about opposites. After a while the whole thing becomes second nature and you will just do it!

When I was first starting out, I kept a long piece of yellow rope handy to mark the path for my driver side trailer wheels. Mirrors are hard to read until your mind finally gets around the reverse image. On a difficult campsite the rope really makes it easy to hit the mark as you back up.

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote