Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Simi Valley, CA

I'll be in the Simi Valley area and am looking for recommendations on where to stay within 50 miles that will fill a few basic needs for me.
After 4 days of driving I'll need to refill fresh water, dump gray and black tanks and get a good nights sleep before heading North.
Thanks!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
101 north?

If you are going to head up 101 you might consider beaches at Ventura, Emma wood, or Carpenteria. Emma Wood has no services, Carpenteria has a dump station.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fox Island , Washington
Ventura Beach RV Resort

Hi,

We've driven through here - looks clean - but have not stayed

Venturabeach-rvresort

It IS right next to the 101 freeway...

And may be too pricey for some.

Scott
smccollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Dooley,

If you are heading North up the Coast then you have a decent amount of beach campgrounds to choose from.

If you are heading North up the center of the state. There are several nice campgrounds off Interstate 5 in the Castiac area which is 30ish miles from Simi Valley.

Good luck.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'll be backtracking and heading up toward Fresno on 99 eventually, but the Ventura area State Parks along 101 looks pretty close to Simi, I'll see what they offer. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Hi Dooley,

If you are heading North up the Coast then you have a decent amount of beach campgrounds to choose from.

If you are heading North up the center of the state. There are several nice campgrounds off Interstate 5 in the Castiac area which is 30ish miles from Simi Valley.

Good luck.

My atlas doesn't show any State Park campgrounds. Are these private ones you have in mind or part of the state forest system? Makes no difference and only 30 miles might work too. Just need a breather once I get in the area.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
beach resort vs emma wood

the beach resort is on the end of main street. $65 per night or there abouts, full hook ups. I stayed there last month my first night in California. Someone tried to steal my mountain bike by cutting the lock at 2 am. I chased them off but was rather upset. I moved to the state park $25 nite, no hookups, literally on the beach as opposed to under the highway. Camped in the state parks the rest of my trip (reservations months in advance, but you might get one by just showing up) with no incident. Good luck, have fun.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
My atlas doesn't show any State Park campgrounds. Are these private ones you have in mind or part of the state forest system? Makes no difference and only 30 miles might work too. Just need a breather once I get in the area.
Dooley,

The parks in the Castaic area are Commercial Campgrounds.

If you are willing to go a little farther North on the 5. We really enjoy Pyramid Lake RV Resort. $35 a night w full hook ups. Get off at Smokey Bear Road. Very quiet and peacefull and the folks who run it are very nice.

They have a pool and mini golf if you care and you can always get a space away from others if you want. That will keep you on your route to Fresno.

Sidenote:

When you leave Simi you'll be on the 118 Fwy. Take the 405 North as there is no freeway to freeway onramp from the 118 to the 5 North. The 405 will deadend into the 5 about 1 1/2 miles from the 118. If you already know this I apologize.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
ca state camp grounds

try hear to locate and reserve state campgrounds

Camping Information
Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3957 View Post
the beach resort is on the end of main street. $65 per night or there abouts, full hook ups. I stayed there last month my first night in California. Someone tried to steal my mountain bike by cutting the lock at 2 am. I chased them off but was rather upset. I moved to the state park $25 nite, no hookups, literally on the beach as opposed to under the highway. Camped in the state parks the rest of my trip (reservations months in advance, but you might get one by just showing up) with no incident. Good luck, have fun.

I guess that stuff can happen any place at any time. Thanks for letting me know. You are indeed lucky to have stopped them from taking it. And thanks for the link to the state parks. I'll check those out tonight online.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Dooley,

The parks in the Castaic area are Commercial Campgrounds.

If you are willing to go a little farther North on the 5. We really enjoy Pyramid Lake RV Resort. $35 a night w full hook ups. Get off at Smokey Bear Road. Very quiet and peacefull and the folks who run it are very nice.

They have a pool and mini golf if you care and you can always get a space away from others if you want. That will keep you on your route to Fresno.

Sidenote:

When you leave Simi you'll be on the 118 Fwy. Take the 405 North as there is no freeway to freeway onramp from the 118 to the 5 North. The 405 will deadend into the 5 about 1 1/2 miles from the 118. If you already know this I apologize.
Actually, this sounds very good and not much out of the way. @ $35/night the price is right. Thanks for the hwy info too. I was not aware. Your directions make it simple. Sure didn't need to find out the hard way.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
I'll be in the Simi Valley area and am looking for recommendations on where to stay within 50 miles that will fill a few basic needs for me.
After 4 days of driving I'll need to refill fresh water, dump gray and black tanks and get a good nights sleep before heading North.
Thanks!
Check out the California parks website. lots of very nice beach ones that are not to crowded during the week. at least during the school year.
California State Parks
You may also want to get a RV atlas. They show many campgrounds and places of interest.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Check out the California parks website. lots of very nice beach ones that are not to crowded during the week. at least during the school year.
California State Parks
You may also want to get a RV atlas. They show many campgrounds and places of interest.

The atlas I got from my insurance company is not cutting it. I'll look around for the RV one.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1987 34' Excella
Pierre , South Dakota
Oak County Park is just 2 or 3 miles west of Simi Valley. The park is secluded, but its one drawback is that it's next to a busy railroad. Its address is 901 Quimisa Dr., Simi Valley, CA 93065.