Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
killeen , Texas
shower space

What is the shower plan? I'm 6'3" & would need to sit down to avoid hitting my head or so it seems. What do most of the taller members do to combat the height issue? Do most campgrounds provide showers or do you just deal w/ it?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm 6'3 and my tradewind only has a shower. No big deal. I have a harder time squeezing in to the so called full bathtubs.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlusmc View Post
What is the shower plan? I'm 6'3" & would need to sit down to avoid hitting my head or so it seems. What do most of the taller members do to combat the height issue? Do most campgrounds provide showers or do you just deal w/ it?
I dunno about the others, but I tried smoking and drinking too much for many years when I was young, but I still wound up at 5' 17" tall.

And yes, a lot of trailer parks will have shower rooms. And lots of Airstreams have a seat built into the shower.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
We use a shower stool, so you can sit down and use the and held shower sprayer. The round ones are a small enough footprint to fit in the tub, and adjust in height. I bought it at a medical supply for about $35.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
I am 6' 3" as well. The shower in the Airstream is doable but you are either going to be hunched over or sitting down. We always take advantage of the showers in the campground--we just wear flipflops and try not to touch anything you don't have to (some are funky, some are spotless).

Always feel cleaner after the bathhouse shower than the one in the trailer for some reason.

When we are camping though, I feel I only have to be somewhat clean--we are fishing, hiking, going to the beach, and sitting around a fire, not performing surgery.

Welcome to the forums and good luck.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
If your taking a shower with a ten gallon hot water tank, you better plan...Ha! We prefer the outdoor shower places too. Truckstops have them, public pools have them,state parks have them,everywhere just about accept rest areas (yuck)...But like our experience, you better get your wife or someone to hold the shower head and hose you down over the folding wall (see 1970) cause brother, yer gonna need both hands to speed bathe before the water turns cold! Ha!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
We have a shut off valve on the showerhead. You get wet,shut off the water, soap up, then rinse off. We can get through showers for about 3 people this way. Also we try and not make the water steaming to save the hot water and make it last. It can be done.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We're both under 6' and not very big. Still our shower is just large enough for one person (rats!). Sitting down is interesting because the glossy fiberglass built-in seat is way slick. Better for us just to stand. I'm a little surprised we haven't seen assist handles (read: stability) in these showers, and suspect we will n the next few years start finding them.

Hot water? We have in this Airstream trailer and our previous one a 6 gal water heater. And we have NEVER run out of hot water, even showering one right after the other and doing dishes (no, not in the shower).

Our hot water temperature is scalding and this almost certainly accounts for most of the capability of our water heater to keep up. The other aid is our relatively short showers. I mean, I guess they're not long duration.

Compared to my son's showers when he was in high school, our showers would seem instantaneous. Okay, here's how long ours are -- rinse ourself with really nice warm water and turn off the shower main mixing/volume handle. Soap up (with water off). Turn water back on to same approx handle position, check temp, and rinse off. Not more than a couple or three minutes.

So I agree with previous, it's fun to shower sometimes in the comfort stations with full flow. But our shower is nice, convenient, easy to maintain, and does the job. It helps too that we are using a high velocity low volume head -- see it here.

Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
killeen , Texas
Talking

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode when Cramer was washing lettuce in the shower. Thanks for all the comments. Looking forward to finishing my time in Iraq & going FT in the Airstream!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
What is the shower plan?...

Do most campgrounds provide showers or do you just deal w/ it?
while most rv parks and campgrounds have shower facilites, often they are LOW flow shower heads (flat hair)

or NOT very warm or "closed for cleaning" (from 8 am to noon)...

so it's great to be able to USE the trailer shower...

for conserving water while boondocking, it makes good sense to just sit down...

then 'think' about the wash/rinse/repeat cycle...

most of the newer streams have benches in the shower along the wall because of the wheel well.

but pay attention to the floorplans and styles/sizes because SOME of the shower booths are SMALLER than others...

Quote:
...or do you just deal w/ it?
some deal with IT better than others...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...rms-42571.html

get home safe and enjoy

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
At 6'4", I have to sit regardless of the shower arrangement. The least uncomfortable, however, is the one in the "corner".....I miss it! (don't miss the corner bed, though!!!)
Old 02-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...sometimes if the situation destination was all right, we have been known to connect several ordinary water hoses and run them up and across the top of a building or barn --and then running it down to an area where a shower could be taken. It was our 'solar'water heater and worked real good. However you do not have control over the temperature- it just starts out petty darned hot and goes down from there to cool. But the important thing is that it does work.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Camp in western Washington, you can just stand outside the trailer for few minutes.

Regards,
Ken
Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I know we aren't full-timers, but I still find this thread really amusing, since the shower in my B-van is all but unusable. I do actually suffer through it a couple times a year - at the Cherry Blossom Rally where there are no showers, and once at a campground where their showers were so bad that I decided to use my own (and, believe me, they have to be REALLY BAD for the B-van's shower to be better). If I try to stand, there is a ledge that sticks out against my chest, making leaning down to soap difficult, so I basically have to sit. It's a really tight squeeze, especially for someone 6' tall.

Here are several pictures of it. Because it's so tight in that part of the camper you really can't get a good overall view of it! But you can see the ledge I mentioned. (The shower normally functions as a holder for the cat's litter box, which is what you see in it now.)

My fiancee can't use it at all. At last year's Cherry Blossom Rally, she tried it once and it went badly. The next day, she used the shower in a friend's trailer and was fine with it.

We're actually looking forward to a shower the same size as the ones some of you are complaining about in our next camper. I might feel differently about the larger shower of an Airstream trailer if we were full-timing, but I know right now I'd actually be overjoyed to have that nice of a shower in my own camper. It's all a mater of perspective, I guess.

(In 1997 and later B-vans, they switched to a "wet bath" that gives more room for the shower and the toilet. That would probably help a lot, but we want a larger camper in general.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote