Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Shopping: Electric vs. Propane

Okay, in general, is it better to get bits and pieces (like coffee makers, espresso makers, teapots, etc.) that make use of propane or electricity? Do you find one to be more efficient of resources than another?

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Okay, in general, is it better to get bits and pieces (like coffee makers, espresso makers, teapots, etc.) that make use of propane or electricity? Do you find one to be more efficient of resources than another?
I think this is highly dependent on the setup in your rig and how you are planning to use it. For instance, I am buying a propane-powered coffee maker to permanently hook up in my trailer because coffee is a very important part of our camping process and yet we boondock all the time, which would require a lot of electrical power, battery capacity, or a generator, etc. Instead, we can just sip some propane out of our (2) 20# tanks and it will not touch our batteries.

So, what are you planning to do? Looks like you have a new rig if your profile is current, and that means you likely have a decent electrical center. Full hookups common? Are you comfortable with opening a window and vent when you run your propane coffee maker?

You can also do a dual option: Small electric coffee maker for when you have hookups and a stovetop percolator that is placed over a burner when you want to use propane (assuming 08's have propane stoves?).

EDIT: I first wrote "coffee-powered propane maker" which would be awesome. Somebody should work on bringing that to market.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
EDIT: I first wrote "coffee-powered propane maker" which would be awesome. Somebody should work on bringing that to market.
Dude, that would TOTALLY be awesome!

I'll have to see how this pans out in reality, but I suspect it'll be full hookups at least 50% of the time, off grid the other 50%. Caffeine-powered 100% of the time, though. Coffee is not an important part of our camping process, coffee IS a way of life for us, I'm afraid!

Is it inefficient to use the cooktop to use a backpack espresso maker, maybe? I'm trying to keep things as small and light as I can, as there's just not a whole lot of room in a 19' Bambi, but I'm too spoilt rotten to do without my morning espresso.

P.S. Yes, I'm comfy with venting...old backpacker here...

Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee

Dude, that would TOTALLY be awesome!

I'll have to see how this pans out in reality, but I suspect it'll be full hookups at least 50% of the time, off grid the other 50%. Caffeine-powered 100% of the time, though. Coffee is not an important part of our camping process, coffee IS a way of life for us, I'm afraid!

Is it inefficient to use the cooktop to use a backpack espresso maker, maybe? I'm trying to keep things as small and light as I can, as there's just not a whole lot of room in a 19' Bambi, but I'm too spoilt rotten to do without my morning espresso.

I use a backpacking lexan backpacking French press when not on electric. Water either heated on propane inside or on a Coleman white gas stove outside.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Fab - I'm totally doing it. Thanks guys!

Old 11-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
1988 25' Excella
1967 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Make my coffee with propane. Heat a kettle on the propane stove, filter the hot water through a Melita paper filter with ground coffee propped in a collapsible silicone funnel-like coffee dripper. It is easy to dispose of the grounds too, because they are contained in the filter. And my coffee maker stores flat in the drawer with my cooking tools.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:

We use the French press as well, especially when we need to make more than two cups. But for just one or two cups I prefer the old fashioned Italian percolator type expresso maker. The first thing I do in the morning (OK, maybe the second) is put the expresso maker on the stove and turn on the propane. Very efficient.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
You know, that's a really good point, FlashSilver. I was going to get both a french press AND an espresso machine, but really, I can drink Americanos instead of coffee. Maybe just the one. I'll have to weigh the options out, I'm trying to keep all weight down to the very minimum.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think they still make COFFEE pots. Back in the last century they sat on top of the stove. Which is fired with propane. Probably won't work for Expresso though.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Heat water, pass through ground up coffee of chickoree or tea. How you heat it is the basic question. Or don't heat the water for a more energy efficient system.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Academic question: will cold water actually brew coffee through grounds? I never even thought to try that.

Yes, electric or propane was sort of my question. I think it sounds like propane is the answer, so now it's just what's lightest but still gives me a decent cup of joe. The heavier Italian espresso maker will probably last longer. The backpacking version is a lot lighter. Hummm.

And, on the other hand, I can use the titanium french press as a kettle as well, so another hummmm...

Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Ooops, you got me. Experiment on cold water coffee under way, results in a few...days yet. I know a fellow that brews an expresso coffee, refrigerates it and only drinks it iced.
Electric is usually much less efficient boodocking, but more efficient if you're wired to the grid. You maybe need to carry your favorite, and also the alternative. And sometimes there's no alternative, like I haven't seen too many propane powered blenders; except maybe for the chainsaw margaritia makers.
Remember to make it Your Bambi with your tools in it, not what an "EXpert" likes them selves.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
How's this then, I'm dying to get one just to see if it works. But maybe not at that price. (And maybe only if I finally start making margaritas rather than my standard G&Ts.)

Old 11-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
So, I think, given the input, that it might be good to have a small (no more than 4 cup) electric kettle, which I can use with a french press (the titanium, because I can boil water in it on propane if not on electric), and then perhaps the backpacking espresso maker. I might try a trip without the electric kettle, though, to see how it goes.

Oh, the whole world should have my problems.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My parents - avid coffee drinkers - have both in their trailer, an electric for when they have it available, and one that goes on the stove for times when they do not have electricity. (We have neither, since we don't like coffee. Erica has a kettle for the stove to make hot water for tea.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Perhaps that's the answer, learn to deal without coffee.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
perhaps that's the answer, learn to deal without coffee.
not!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Shopping: Electric vs. Propane

Greetings zlee!

I am not a coffee connoisseur, but a number of my friends are coffee aficionados so I do carry a means to make coffee in both of my coaches. While they may not be appropriate for the sophisticated coffee drinks, I have been told that they brew a good cup of coffee.

For my 1964 Overlander, I carry a Revere Ware Stovetop Percolator that I inherited from my aunt. It has been use by a member of my family for over 60 years, and travels well in my Airstream. The photo below is of one exactly like mine, but I borrowed it from the web:

For my 1978 Minuet 6.0 Metre, I also carry a Revere Ware coffee maker, but it is a Stovetop Drip Coffee Maker. I didn't realize that Revere Ware made one of these Stovetop Drip Coffee Makers, but I ran across the one that I have in an antique store while traveling . . . I was able to grab it for only $12.00. Again the photo below is one that I borrowed from the web, but is identical to the one that I carry.

I have utilized both of these on the rangetop in my Airstream and Argosy with no problem . . . and have also utilized them on my LP grill when cooking on my Airstream's patio. I am afraid that more often than not, I utilize the bottom portion of the device to heat water for tea or hot chocolate as I am among the non-coffee drinking population.

I also carry coffee grinders in both of my coaches. One is a vintage unit that I purchased at an estate sale that I carry in my Overlander, and the other is a unit that I purchased new from William Sonoma to carry in my Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre.

The photo below is of the vintage Hobart/Kitchen Aide electric coffee grinder that I carry in the Airstream. I chose this unit for the match to the aesthetics of the Airstream, and with ample Solar power from the Overlander's three panels, I haven't had an problems with its minimal electricity usage. It can be a little temperatmental to adjust, but once adjusted to your preferred grind it works flawlessly. The one pictured below is one that I borrowed from the web, but the one that I found is identical with the exception that the base is polished stainless steel.

The photo below is of the Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Grinder that I carry in the Minuet. I chose it because of its compact size and the fact that it is manual operation since my Minuet has only one battery so electricity is at a premium when camping without utilities.

I always try to be able to have coffee for my guests so a small bag of fresh roasted coffee beans is always found in my perishables food container that I transfer from home to trailer just prior to each trip.

Good luck with your investigation and research!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
How about uranium? I know it is very heavy, but it doesn't take much. Put it in a water bath and when the water gets hot, use it for coffee and and add more water to the water bath. You might be able to get some from Tokyo Electric Power Co. I'm sure they'll tell you there's no problem with radiation.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #20

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We use the stovetop when were without electric and when we're hooked up we use a Tassimo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4240868443.png
Views:	141
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	145990   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2362458507.png
Views:	169
Size:	848.5 KB
ID:	145991  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote