Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #71
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Oatmeal Memories.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I lived in London for a while, Bob - on the worst, longest nights, the sun would come up at about 12 noon, light the overcast sky to about medium gray, then go down at about 4. *sigh*
zlee,

One of the "oatmeal" memories....I remember saying at breakfast, "sure looks grey outside this morning", Dad replied......"not grey Bob.....think "silver".
Grey for some, silver for others'. Try to stay on the silver side.

Life is Good......most times.

Stream Happy

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, I never saw any silver when I lived in Buffalo—all I saw was a weak sun, grey skies and snow. Things have changed over the years, I guess.

With all that coffee you're going to be drinking, zlee, I think you will need a really large black tank. Six months in a Bambi will require, I think, your tow vehicle as a storage container.

I do support thinking this through, though not overthinking and obsessing. Keep reading and someday you will be giving advice too.

Gene

Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #73
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, I never saw any silver when I lived in Buffalo—all I saw was a weak sun, grey skies and snow. Things have changed over the years, I guess.

With all that coffee you're going to be drinking, zlee, I think you will need a really large black tank. Six months in a Bambi will require, I think, your tow vehicle as a storage container.

I do support thinking this through, though not overthinking and obsessing. Keep reading and someday you will be giving advice too.

Gene
2 1/2 cups, starting 5:30 each morning. :i n_love:

Update...

Silver, Wet & Windy

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Currently gorgeous here! (Because the sun's out!)

Yeah, I'm making sure that if I'm well and truly boondocked in the middle of nowhere, I've definitely got a cat-hole trowel...

Obsessing is as obsessing does. When I did weddings, the longer I had to shop (up to a year ahead), the less it cost my clients to get their dream wedding, and the more I researched the perfect single pair of shoes to bring on my four year round the world trip, the less likely I was to need another pair of shoes, same for each item of clothing (mainly because there were so few), etc etc etc.

Case in point, I'm just away from Ross Dress For Less with a pack of 20 ShamWow towels for about fifty cents each, a milk frother for $2.99 to test for lattes, and a pillow I'm thinking of lifting colors off of for reupholstering the Bambino's cushions, for $3.99. And I'm having a latte, of course.

The after Holiday sales ought to be handy.

And I'm def getting a good sense from all you experienced folk of what can wait and what has to planned for now. I'm on a tight budget (and getting tighter), and I can't afford to spend money on things that won't do what I need them to, and then get something else to see if THAT works.

Sometimes it pays to "obsess"/think things through.

Off to go download the Newbies' Guide to Airstreaming...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bumpin' it - Induction burner

www.NuWavePIC.com

Okay, saw the infomercial then went online. 3 easy payments of $33.33 and it's a "twofur" ----

Anyone have one of these, and is it a massive pain in the neck or a useful thing for parties, rallies, etc. I'm picturing making meatballs for Potluck Suppers - meatball subs especially. Keeping this kind of food warm is critical, but nothing tastes worse than any burned tomato product.

I've never been a big fan of specialized gizmos for the kitchen, but this seems to be useful, safe, and handy to have. The two skillets, big pan and steamer don't do a thing for me, but I've seen induction burners alone go for $150, so this is either a great bargain or a cheap ripoff.

Input anyone?

And, thanks in advance. Paula
Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #76
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Paula,

That IS very interesting...

My ongoing concerns with infomercials...would like to see a product demo in person. hard to beat a hands-on inspection. Maybe look for them in a "as seen on tv store".

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My rule is that if it is too good to be true, it probably is. All that stuff for $100 (shipping and handling are probably high)? TV infomercials rarely have good quality things.

Gene
Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #78
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
My rule is that if it is too good to be true, it probably is. All that stuff for $100 (shipping and handling are probably high)? TV infomercials rarely have good quality things.

Gene

Gene,

Are you saying that the "Flobee" was no good?.....

After all they told you up front that "it sucks as it cuts"

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
NuWave Induction Burner

I am now a crash test dummy for this device. Yep the shipping and handling are high, but I'll review it mercilessly. I occasionally find myself wishing I could keep three or four pots of beans, soup, and chocolate dipping sauce going at the same time.

Well if it works, I'll be a rally superstar. If not it's another C-Note down the crapper.

Paula
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I am now a crash test dummy for this device. Yep the shipping and handling are high, but I'll review it mercilessly. I occasionally find myself wishing I could keep three or four pots of beans, soup, and chocolate dipping sauce going at the same time.

Well if it works, I'll be a rally superstar. If not it's another C-Note down the crapper.

Paula
OK, here's the initial review of the NU-WAVE Induction Burner. It's largely plastic and may not last too long, but as of this moment, my stove cover is down and the Nu-Wave is sitting on top of it waiting for the next cup of coffee or the next meal to be cooked. I really like it! The surface does not get hot except where the pot is, so if you spill veggie soup on it, you just wipe it off - no burning onto the surface. The temperature control is really nice. I made meatball subs and kept the meatball/sauce mixture warm for over 2 hours without it drying out or burning. I just may do a fondue or chocolate dipping party for the operators. Have tried the timer too. I can now use my screaming teapot for an alarm clock (unless the power goes out at night). It's a bit bulky (large enough to heat a 12 inch skillet) but should be able to travel in the oven.

Now for all of the two-for and "free just pay the shipping". OVERPRICED shipping - which of course covers the goods and the items shipped. I got the two handled cooking vessel that also makes a nice salad bowl, the free fondue set (which I may actually use since the temperature control is so good) and two skillets with lids. The skillets are very decent quality - heavy - and the glass lids do fit properly. They can be used over an outdoor fire as well as indoors. I had a set of pots with clip on handles that included a 10 inch skillet with straight sides. I tossed that skillet in favor of the big one included in this set. I like a flipping skillet and the other one was too heavy to be stable with a clamped on handle. The extras added up to more than the 2 NuWaves, but everything is well made and useful (we'll see about the fondue forks, but they don't take up much space). IF the induction burners DO LAST, I think they're great. I'm pleased to say that if you want to boil water in a hurry, the burner seems to be as fast as propane - and it doesn't heat up the whole area around the stove, and I don't have to run the noisy fan.

Watch out when ordering - they just go on and on and on with "would you also like" - you can spend several hundred dollars easily!!! (but what I got was well constructed, heavy duty and well balanced.)

Paula

I had planned to give the 2nd cooker away to my sister but she didn't make it to Va. Highland Haven. Next time I'm in Ohio she MIGHT get it.