Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #61
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Crawford weather: Cool, then cold, then cool…. Not much precipitation and lots of sun. Tomorrow will be a good day to cut up a big, old piñon tree the beetles got.

Flush King doesn't take much space, but the sewer hoses do.

Gene
NWS WNY....

Dark at day WET

Darker at nite Wet

Bob
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I lived in London for a while, Bob - on the worst, longest nights, the sun would come up at about 12 noon, light the overcast sky to about medium gray, then go down at about 4. *sigh*

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We heat most things with fire, and light up things with electricity.
We do heat up already cooked things in the microwave, either with shore power or generator when off grid.

We do, on occasion, use our electric toaster oven. Also, our espresso maker is electric.

Two propane tanks, using an automatic change-over regulator, we have never run out of propane.

Seems to work out very well.

Don't make yourself crazy. It's a travel trailer.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Don't make yourself crazy. It's a travel trailer.
Good advice, but it'll also be home when we're in the States -- so I figure a little bit of crazy now will mean less crazy later. I hope.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
We have two coffee makers -- when we have hookups, we use our vintage Presto percolator. It makes great coffee in about 10 minutes. We bought our used on eBay for about $20. Here is a link on Amazon for a new one -- fits in nice with the Airstream:

Amazon.com: Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffeemaker: Kitchen & Dining

When we don't have power, we use an old fashioned enamel coffee pot that we put on the stove.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Oh, yeah. All this mid-century stuff! Pretty cool, all right.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Propane Efficiency - 5+ years experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
All right, one MORE question for you smart people.

My sister is giving the Bambino, as she insists on calling it, a thermal cooker. Yippeee! I'm so excited! But here's the thing - when you use a thermal cooker, you have to make sure that everything in the inside pot is at boiling temp. So it may have to boil for 10-20 minutes or so, depending on the thickness of whatever's in it. Does it make sense to use the propane for that even when I'm plugged in, or is it worth the expense to get one of those portable induction thingies for when I've got electricity? I don't know how much propane it takes to simmer something for 20 minutes!

Anyway, if it makes sense to buy the induction thingy, let me know, I want to buy it while it's on sale. (It's five pounds, too, so it has to be worth it...)
I've been fulltiming since early 2006 and use only propane to cook and to heat water. My rig has two 30lb tanks and I only have to refill them about every 4 months except when it's too cold for the heat pump to work and I must run the furnace. The furnace can suck 2 tanks dry in a week if it's cold enough - other than that - the stove and water heater use amazingly little propane. I had an electric skillet, didn't fit well in any of the cabinets. So I donated it to the lunch room at the job. Had an electric percolater and a French Press that took less space in the overhead cabinet. Gave the percolater away. Propane is faster than electricity and dirt cheap for cooking. I even use a stove top camp toaster. An electric toaster is one appliance I would get if I wanted toast every day. A good portable induction heater may cost $200 (or 4 refills on a 30 lb. propane tank). And if the surface is ceramic, it can break. Then there's $25 for a coffee maker, and and and... Every electric appliance weigh quite a bit and take a lot of your very limited space. Towing the extra weight might conceivably add more to your fuel cost than it saves in propane. Your ROI for electric appliances? Years.

Don't forget about outdoor cooking & boondocking. How much space will you allocate for grills, etc? My indoor stovetop teapot, skillets, dutch oven and pan all work on the volcano cooker I recently bought. (Charcoal or propane). Electric appliances don't have that versatality.

Campground electric saves big money for things that have BIG power draws or resistance elements:
  • air conditioning
  • heat pump + space heaters
  • televisions & computers (tho these use less in post CRT era)
  • hair dryer
  • iron
Remember, less is more when it comes to camping.

Paula
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Fabulous, thanks, Paula! Less is more is definitely my mantra right now!

Since I pick the thing up in Ontario, Canada and am towing it back to Colorado in January/February, I figured I wouldn't worry about a grill or anything for outdoor cooking just now. (I figure I have enough to figure out between now and picking the thing up...)

Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
IMHO you are really overthinking this thing. Get something, see if it works for you and if it does great, if not get something else. We have spent a lot of our last year boondocking, and we had no trouble with propane. We only turn on the water heater just before taking a shower, or doing dishes. We got wet ones to clean our hands during the day - ie, no water. For the most part we do a lot of BBQ for meals, but we do have some meals in the oven. Breakfast is always oatmeal on the stove, with an occasional eggs and sausage or bacon. Cooked on the stovetop. Turn the generator on for toast, but if we are too close to people, we just have a bagel. Did take a electric burner recently to cook outside, but we do have generators to run those. We generally dont run our heater too much. When boondocking we use the trailer heater and we turn it off at night. In the morning hubby jumps up turns the heat up, jumps back into bed with all our wonderful comfortors until the heat is up. If we do have hookups we have a electric portable heater we use. We have a fire
jumper that we carry an extra propane bottle for. The extra bottle also services our Weber Q100. *Plan on adding a propane stove this next season, so I can cook some outside. (Reminds me of when we used to tent camp - our life before the AS. ) Intend on using the 3rd tank for the stove. To date we have never even come close to running out of propane, trips are usually 5-8 days. A bigger concern for me was water. We now have a pump to get water into our tank, and with watching what we are doing it is not a concern for me anymore. I'm sure that you will find after taking a trip or two you will find things you have in that will be out. And things you thought you would never need a really valuable item.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
IMHO you are really overthinking this thing.
That's okay, you're allowed. I don't think so, and that's okay too! I'm not going to be taking 5-8 day trips, I'll be taking, well, the entire time I'm in the States, up to six months at a time, and I'm not sure what my cash flow will be like. So over-thinking or researching carefully, it's all good.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 AM   #71
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up Oatmeal Memories.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I lived in London for a while, Bob - on the worst, longest nights, the sun would come up at about 12 noon, light the overcast sky to about medium gray, then go down at about 4. *sigh*
zlee,

One of the "oatmeal" memories....I remember saying at breakfast, "sure looks grey outside this morning", Dad replied......"not grey Bob.....think "silver".
Grey for some, silver for others'. Try to stay on the silver side.

Life is Good......most times.

Stream Happy

Bob
Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #72
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, I never saw any silver when I lived in Buffalo—all I saw was a weak sun, grey skies and snow. Things have changed over the years, I guess.

With all that coffee you're going to be drinking, zlee, I think you will need a really large black tank. Six months in a Bambi will require, I think, your tow vehicle as a storage container.

I do support thinking this through, though not overthinking and obsessing. Keep reading and someday you will be giving advice too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #73
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Bob, I never saw any silver when I lived in Buffalo—all I saw was a weak sun, grey skies and snow. Things have changed over the years, I guess.

With all that coffee you're going to be drinking, zlee, I think you will need a really large black tank. Six months in a Bambi will require, I think, your tow vehicle as a storage container.

I do support thinking this through, though not overthinking and obsessing. Keep reading and someday you will be giving advice too.

Gene
2 1/2 cups, starting 5:30 each morning. :i n_love:

Update...

Silver, Wet & Windy
Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Currently gorgeous here! (Because the sun's out!)

Yeah, I'm making sure that if I'm well and truly boondocked in the middle of nowhere, I've definitely got a cat-hole trowel...

Obsessing is as obsessing does. When I did weddings, the longer I had to shop (up to a year ahead), the less it cost my clients to get their dream wedding, and the more I researched the perfect single pair of shoes to bring on my four year round the world trip, the less likely I was to need another pair of shoes, same for each item of clothing (mainly because there were so few), etc etc etc.

Case in point, I'm just away from Ross Dress For Less with a pack of 20 ShamWow towels for about fifty cents each, a milk frother for $2.99 to test for lattes, and a pillow I'm thinking of lifting colors off of for reupholstering the Bambino's cushions, for $3.99. And I'm having a latte, of course.

The after Holiday sales ought to be handy.

And I'm def getting a good sense from all you experienced folk of what can wait and what has to planned for now. I'm on a tight budget (and getting tighter), and I can't afford to spend money on things that won't do what I need them to, and then get something else to see if THAT works.

Sometimes it pays to "obsess"/think things through.

Off to go download the Newbies' Guide to Airstreaming...

Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Bumpin' it - Induction burner

www.NuWavePIC.com

Okay, saw the infomercial then went online. 3 easy payments of $33.33 and it's a "twofur" ----

Anyone have one of these, and is it a massive pain in the neck or a useful thing for parties, rallies, etc. I'm picturing making meatballs for Potluck Suppers - meatball subs especially. Keeping this kind of food warm is critical, but nothing tastes worse than any burned tomato product.

I've never been a big fan of specialized gizmos for the kitchen, but this seems to be useful, safe, and handy to have. The two skillets, big pan and steamer don't do a thing for me, but I've seen induction burners alone go for $150, so this is either a great bargain or a cheap ripoff.

Input anyone?

And, thanks in advance. Paula
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #76
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Paula,

That IS very interesting...

My ongoing concerns with infomercials...would like to see a product demo in person. hard to beat a hands-on inspection. Maybe look for them in a "as seen on tv store".

Bob
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #77
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
My rule is that if it is too good to be true, it probably is. All that stuff for $100 (shipping and handling are probably high)? TV infomercials rarely have good quality things.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #78
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
My rule is that if it is too good to be true, it probably is. All that stuff for $100 (shipping and handling are probably high)? TV infomercials rarely have good quality things.

Gene

Gene,

Are you saying that the "Flobee" was no good?.....

After all they told you up front that "it sucks as it cuts"

Bob
Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
NuWave Induction Burner

I am now a crash test dummy for this device. Yep the shipping and handling are high, but I'll review it mercilessly. I occasionally find myself wishing I could keep three or four pots of beans, soup, and chocolate dipping sauce going at the same time.

Well if it works, I'll be a rally superstar. If not it's another C-Note down the crapper.

Paula
Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I am now a crash test dummy for this device. Yep the shipping and handling are high, but I'll review it mercilessly. I occasionally find myself wishing I could keep three or four pots of beans, soup, and chocolate dipping sauce going at the same time.

Well if it works, I'll be a rally superstar. If not it's another C-Note down the crapper.

Paula
OK, here's the initial review of the NU-WAVE Induction Burner. It's largely plastic and may not last too long, but as of this moment, my stove cover is down and the Nu-Wave is sitting on top of it waiting for the next cup of coffee or the next meal to be cooked. I really like it! The surface does not get hot except where the pot is, so if you spill veggie soup on it, you just wipe it off - no burning onto the surface. The temperature control is really nice. I made meatball subs and kept the meatball/sauce mixture warm for over 2 hours without it drying out or burning. I just may do a fondue or chocolate dipping party for the operators. Have tried the timer too. I can now use my screaming teapot for an alarm clock (unless the power goes out at night). It's a bit bulky (large enough to heat a 12 inch skillet) but should be able to travel in the oven.

Now for all of the two-for and "free just pay the shipping". OVERPRICED shipping - which of course covers the goods and the items shipped. I got the two handled cooking vessel that also makes a nice salad bowl, the free fondue set (which I may actually use since the temperature control is so good) and two skillets with lids. The skillets are very decent quality - heavy - and the glass lids do fit properly. They can be used over an outdoor fire as well as indoors. I had a set of pots with clip on handles that included a 10 inch skillet with straight sides. I tossed that skillet in favor of the big one included in this set. I like a flipping skillet and the other one was too heavy to be stable with a clamped on handle. The extras added up to more than the 2 NuWaves, but everything is well made and useful (we'll see about the fondue forks, but they don't take up much space). IF the induction burners DO LAST, I think they're great. I'm pleased to say that if you want to boil water in a hurry, the burner seems to be as fast as propane - and it doesn't heat up the whole area around the stove, and I don't have to run the noisy fan.

Watch out when ordering - they just go on and on and on with "would you also like" - you can spend several hundred dollars easily!!! (but what I got was well constructed, heavy duty and well balanced.)

Paula

I had planned to give the 2nd cooker away to my sister but she didn't make it to Va. Highland Haven. Next time I'm in Ohio she MIGHT get it.