Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
This is turning out to be an entertaining thread, with added bits of hilarity. (You know who you are.)

I LOVE all of these retro coffee percolators, so cool. And that grinder is the cutest thing evah. But on reflection, I think a stovetop espresso, and small electric kettle will be the way forward. And maybe a french press mug. (Depending on how much weight I can free up with other stuff.) The espresso is non-negotiable and we can drink Americanos rather than coffee...

You're killing me with the Tassimo, though. I love all the pod machines, it's so much fun to pick out what you want with the next cup.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
Points to ponder. Coffee needs to brew at 200 - 205 F. This is why people at high altitudes use a pressurized espresso maker.
A paper filter absorbs some of the volatile oils.
A percolator can burn the coffee buy reboiling it over and over.

When on the grid drip.
When off a tea pot with a funnel. The tea pot whistles when boiling and doesn't boil over and easy to pour.
If I was go to go to high altitudes I would consider an espresso maker.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
Perhaps that's the answer, learn to deal without coffee.
I have cut down to 2 cups a day and 3 a night. I found a 36 oz cup.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I have cut down to 2 cups a day and 3 a night. I found a 36 oz cup
lol - now why hadn't I thought of that?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado

Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO Bob View Post
Points to ponder. Coffee needs to brew at 200 - 205 F. This is why people at high altitudes use a pressurized espresso maker.
A paper filter absorbs some of the volatile oils.
A percolator can burn the coffee buy reboiling it over and over.

When on the grid drip.
When off a tea pot with a funnel. The tea pot whistles when boiling and doesn't boil over and easy to pour.
If I was go to go to high altitudes I would consider an espresso maker.
Or, instead of doing something simple, we could just make it super-complicated and ultra-fancy:
Kees van der Westen ~ Mirage Veloce

But really, 90% of the reason I want that for my trailer is the styling, not the functionality.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Back in my Chemex days, they told us not to heat the water to more than 190˚, otherwise harsh byproducts would be released. I could drink some—and it was good coffee—and put the whole thing in the fridge and heat it up the next day and it was fine. The coffee I used long ago was Santos.

Almost 30 years ago and realized that the strange jangly things that I felt after drinking too many cups of coffee might have something to do with the coffee. I haven't had any since. I found too many cups of a good caffeinated tea just made for energy, not jangly crazed nerves. Tea is easy to make (just heat water in uranium water bath), brew for several minutes and glow in the dark. I order Market Spice tea from Washington state—slightly spiced black tea. No fancy, expensive or heavy appliances necessary.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
EDIT: I first wrote "coffee-powered propane maker" which would be awesome. Somebody should work on bringing that to market.
I've been working on a burrito-powered propane maker. At least my wife insists I have...
Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
TMI ! TMI!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
WorldinChaos, that thing looks like it should warp 9 in 10 seconds...

Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Gene,

40 yrs and counting....best Joe go'n.

Jangly can be very enjoyable.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05214.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	146037  
Old 11-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We carry both. A smaller (very cheap- 6 cup) electric. Use that when we have hookups or with the generator. Have a perculator type for the stove when boondocking,when we cant turn on the generator(time reswtrictions) or when we want more coffee (it is a 9cup) Not into fancy coffees, so this works for us.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Propane!

Propane is cheap and almost always faster than electric, hookups or no.

I just bought a new Cephalon teapot which I use for everything. I boil water for the French Press, I have a filter that I use when I'm just making a single cup. If I want tea, d'oh, same teapot. "Just add water" instant anything, same pot. Cowboy coffee can include boiling eggs IN the pot, then using the water for coffee. Oh, and if you don't want spotty silverware but dislike drying dishes, just pour a teakettle full of boiling water over your dishes in the drainer that's in the sink. They'll air dry in seconds.

If you want to keep things compact and lightweight, go for multipurpose tools whenever possible - cooking or otherwise.

Paula
Old 11-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
What's with these silly people trying to get back on topic with actual answers... gosh, what is this forum coming to?

In all seriousness, I really am buying this:
Amazon.com: Coleman Portable Propane Coffeemaker with Stainless Steel Carafe: Sports & Outdoors

And don't ask me to defend myself. It will be permanently installed, and it is similar to what I have at home. Easy and simple.

However, I like all the ideas on grinders that have been presented. I hadn't gotten that far, and use an electric at home that I'm not bringing boondocking. Unless I can harness uranium power. + like Gene alluded to, you would get the side benefit of glow-in-the-dark for trailer safety.

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Use propane as much as possible. Much more cost-efficient than electricity.

WorldInChaos, thanks! I really like the propane powered coffee maker. I've been looking for something that will work in my concession trailer, and all the commecial units run into the $thousands.
I may have to try a couple of those. What fittings did you have to use to connect to the 3/8" propane lines?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
Use propane as much as possible. Much more cost-efficient than electricity.

WorldInChaos, thanks! I really like the propane powered coffee maker. I've been looking for something that will work in my concession trailer, and all the commecial units run into the $thousands.
I may have to try a couple of those. What fittings did you have to use to connect to the 3/8" propane lines?
I actually haven't done it yet, still don't have the inside walls up on my renovation project...

However, I would imagine its as simple as putting an adapter on the normal camping canister connector, or better yet to minimize leak points, snipping it off and flaring a 3/8" threaded fitting on.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
That thing is pretty cool. I don't think there's anywhere to really mount it in a 19' Bambi, though.

Yeah, Ed, I think I'm getting that impression. The stovetop espresso is a must, along with something electric to boil water for Americanos in. I think I'm going to have to wave goodbye to an extra coffee thing, though, there's just not enough storage in a 19' Bambi to allow three things to make coffee in. Maybe a collapsible single mug filter for when I want to save on propane.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Propane heats things about twice as fast as electricity, but if you are at a campground, why not use their electricity and not your propane? However, it makes sense to have one thing and not several (weight, cost, storage space). Since most of us have stove tops with burners, why not use them?

At first I thought a propane powered coffee maker was a joke, but now I see they really make them. Seems like a pretty small market, but big enough for car campers and backpackers who are heavily addicted.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Yeah, Gene, so here's the rationale (for me, not anyone else <--- obligatory disclaimer):

- I will sometimes be plugged into electricity, but not always, but will always have propane;
- propane is more efficient, but there may be times when I have lots of electricity and want to save propane;
- the ability to make espresso is a non-negotiable;
- Americanos can be made with espresso if I have capability for hot water;
- drip coffee is also a possible with a collapsible single mug filter;

So therefore:

stove top espresso maker (small - possibly backpackers version)
collapsible single mug drip filter
two cup electric water kettle

Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #40
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
The Coleman coffee maker uses the standard fitting such as you would find on the little 1 and 2 pound cans of propane. You can get an adapter/extension hose to run from a 20 or 30 pound tank to the coffee maker.