Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
san marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
so more questions. how do you know when the black tank is nearly full? where is the lever to dump? so do i understand you to say that the shower is draining into the black tank.
kevin

Old 07-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Black tank build

Kevin-

Peek through the hole in the bottom of the toilet to see the black tank. You should have a remote handle for the black tank valve in the rear bumper locker. The shower drains into the tee below the black tank, not in it.

John

Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
san marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
where does the water from the shower go then? is it held till i dump it ? does it just constantly drain? where?
Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkatz View Post
where does the water from the shower go then? is it held till i dump it ? does it just constantly drain? where?
You will need a 'blue boy' tote for your gray water wherever you are not allowed to run the grey onto the ground. I camp a lot in forest camp grounds where that isn't a problem. A nearby gopher hole can be very convenient.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The black tank should not back up into the shower if the valve on the tank is closed and not leaking.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Stationary Airstream

I lived in my Airstream many weekends over a three year term while building a farm house.
The electrician split the power panel so it could also fuse a 220V window unit with 24000 BTU (much cheaper to run than the old 120v Armstrong). Worked great, removed the front glass and filled in with plywood around the A/C.
I made a “Motivator” to keep the black water tank clean. It simply consist of a plastic peanut butter bottle screw off cap with a tight fitting hole with a piece of ¼” pipe stuck through it and a 90 degree brass fitting on the end, other end has a female garden hose connector. When hooked to a garden hose on city water pressure it can be inserted down the RV toilet and rotated. It isn’t messy and since it worked for three years I’d say it worked very well. I still used black water treatment chemicals and still tried to have the tank about ½ full before I emptied it into the septic tank that was already there.
In addition I jacked the trailer up and kept the weight off the axles and tires.
If your tires are good you should buy trailer tire covers to keep the UV off them during your extended stay.
Since LP fuel got very expensive I installed a 12 gallon 120V electric water heater in the original water heater location. It heats in about 30 minutes and recovers quite quickly. It sure was nice having Long showers after hard days of construction duties.
Stan Wilder
Dallas Tx
Old 07-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Permanantly parked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactavco View Post
I seek to buy a airstream and hook it
up to sewer or tank on lot. Can this be done?
What do I need to Know and getting eletricity
would be of interest as well. Thx, Larry
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Larry,
I would suggest that if you are going to park it then set it on frame jacks take tires off, use pvc to run from trailer to sewer connection. but as the others indicated unless you plan on removing the black & gray tanks I would intall a set of electric dump valves and run the switch into the bath, this way the tank valves can stay closed until ready to dump then flip the switch for black then rinse with gray, you have a clean tank and hose this way.
As to the removing of the tanks it is really not feasable because you would have to pretty dismantle the under body to remove then you have the issue of insulation to put back to make up for the space or you will have a very cold trailer and possible freeze problems.

Sarge
Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
Nevils , Georgia
We plan to purchase a 30-34 foot Airstream (we are hoping to find an affordable used 34 footer in SE Georgia or nearby but may have to settle for something a little smaller) this September and live in it for 6-12 months while we build our new home. It will be located on our land for that time, connected to a well, blackwater septic, and a greywater recycling system - bushes and trees.

Can the blackwater tank be bypassed entirely or is there no access between the toilet and the tank. For our application dealing with frequent emptying of the blackwater tank appears to be an unnecessary hassle.

May we also bypass the fresh water holding tank and bring the well water directly to the plumbing? Every container the water passes through adds the potential for bacteria, debris, leaks, and lost pressure.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Your water line should work fine. It will not go through the water tank if the back valve is doing it's job. Grey water can flow through it's tank without havng to close it's valve. However, you will have to by pass the black tank. Just leaving it open will create build up waste problems big time.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
As a newbie, a new A/S owner and a full timer at a RV Park, I learned an important sewer lesson. The drains are labeled "Main" and "Auxillary". NOT black and grey. I don't know why. But the Main is the black. The Auxillary is the grey. I had them opened backwards for abit, until my shower wouldn't drain cuz the grey tank was full.

The things we learn!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #25

1971 29' Ambassador
atlanta , Georgia
i have a question too. does the 71 land yacht have 2 drainds for black and grey tanks or only one at the back bumber?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
A 71 should have one drain. They grey water will flow out of that drain since there were no grey tanks in 71. The black water will also come out that drain, but will be controlled by a valve for the black tank.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote