Old 01-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #15
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Well, we are nearly a year into full timing and have no regrets at all. We do yet have a storage unit that we plan on getting out of within another year. There are still items that I/we feel cannot be parted with - just yet anyway. But as time goes on and we are enjoying the nomadic life so much, we will find ourselves selling off virtually everything still being kept so that we can just keep on going without any tether to "stuff".
When we do settle somewhere, someday, it will be fun to handpick quality, limited amounts of items to furnish our place with, never again pack-ratting stuff we don't need and can live without. This life is so very freeing that we will not easily go back from it ever again.

We are going even deeper into the freedom mode by internationalizing assets and options and, as much as possible, slipping the tyrannical grip of extortionate governments and agencies.

Cheers to all who are and who desire to live this life of freedom!

We are 57 & 58 living with our cat in our 1997 25' Safari.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Aurora , Illinois
Seems to me, I'm a lot like the dog that always wants to be on the other side of the door.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

APPLETON , Wisconsin
My wife and I have already made this decision and despite not getting a ton of support, we're doing it. Life is far too short to live strapped to "stuff", a mortgage and for me, personally, being trapped in a cubicle 50 hours each week isn't my idea of living.

Already started putting extra "stuff" on craigslist and eBay.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
What is an S&B?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Sticks and bricks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
We did what you're thinking about doing in August, 2012 and never looked back. After nearly 2 1/2 years, we realize it was a great decision.

Some people worry about getting bored. If you still feel a need to do work, look at workamper.com. My wife and I do volunteer work at a nature preserve in Florida in the winter, and travel in the summer. Perfect combination for us, but we know a lot of couples who workamp year round.

When it comes to selling your "stuff", we used craigslist and local consignment shops. Garage sales aren't worth the hassle. People typically expect to pay rock bottom, as opposed to market price. Also, it's amazing how much you will find to donate.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Clipper 30, we're working our last year before retirement, and are planning to hit the road early 2016. Haven't bought our rig yet. But, we did major downsizing this past year by selling our house, most of our stuff, and our second car. We're living in a rental until we take off.

If you have nice things, I'd recommend going the estate sale route. Once we got an offer on the house, we called the estate sale company. We also found a rental and moved in right away. The estate sale company came in a couple of weeks before closing and did an amazing amount of work to sell most everything. It was good that we weren't living there by then. On the Sunday after the 3-day sale (Thursday through Saturday), we came back to an empty house. We ended up getting $21k from the deal. It would've taken me a year to do the same work for much less cash.

We have about a 6 moving boxes of treasures I couldn't part with, which I think I can store for about $40/month. After a few years on the road, if all is going well without end in sight, I might try to get rid of those too.

Joanne
Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Minneapolis , Minnesota
We sold the house in August and have been having a blast! We did go back and forth about keeping the house as a rental and selling it and ultimately we just wanted to be stress free so we sold it.

As far as storage, we have a couple bins of things at my in-laws; photos and some tools, no storage garage otherwise. We sold the majority of our things over about 4 months this past summer, mainly on Craigslist and e-bay. Just remember, you will never get what you think you should get for something. People who buy used, however gently used it is, are looking for a deal. At the end, we donated a lot of things because it wasn't worth the hassle anymore.

There is not one thing I regret getting rid of...
Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ok, I am single and have been considering this full time thing for about a year- had the stream for now three years. I like the idea of living less expensively and just simpler BUT, here is why I struggle-

For about twenty years I lived with basically junk furniture. Hey, I was a teacher, just getting a house was quite a feat! When I got my first home I began the process of buying good stuff- a piece at a time. I rarely buy anything on time but wait for what I want. I now have the Ekornes this, the Theodore Alexander that and the Martin Logans-you get the idea. It is difficult to give up that stuff that is 12 years old at most. I have no one to give it to in the family. Yes, there are some things I could no doubt dump right now but it is hard. The issue for me is similar to what another poster said- having a home AND camper would limit resources. Just writing this post makes me think about the idea of "living for things" and that is not my idea yet, it took so long to acquire the furnishings that just dumping the investment is mind boggling yet I too am interested in a single focused simple life that is often shared by full timing. It is not an easy decision.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I see the point Rod. We have nice stuff as well and we own it, it doesn't own us, and it makes a pleasant and comfortable life. Our home is simple, little more than we need, and on a scenic spot near a nice community. Our grandchildren. Life is good there.

Except the winter is tough, more so as we get older.

We also love to travel, see new places and meet new people. Our Airstream takes us away 7 months a year, traveling often far and wide as we head to and from a winter retreat. And our Airstream and truck are simple, basic, no more than we need. Life is good there as well.

It is possible to have some of the best of both worlds, and when the traveling years are over, you have a place of your own to go. Keep in budget and keep it simple.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Selling Home and Going Full-Time

The man wants advices about the asylum from the inmates.

If, apart from items of great sentiment, it is so that these furnishings are but an insurance claim after a fire, it is that the choice has been made for us.

Other forces past our influence much less our control can also render us bereft. These would be age, debilitation, and senility. For them there is no restoration policy even though the choice was taken from us.

Were our society such that only a few years of work would pay in full for a lifelong dwelling we wouldn't ask these questions.

It really isn't about the things.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
After 4 years of fulltime AS living, the only annoyances I have are:
• laundromats — I really miss the convenience of having a washer/dryer
• maintenance — AS may be a better RV than most, but it still has quality issues, and you can't just call any plumber as you do in a house/condo
• counter space — I actually cook, and AS really does not design for cooking. The ratio of seating to counter space is not based in reality. I'd get a bigger AS, but it would have LESS counter space than my current model, so I doubt I will.
• Storage space — enough has already been said about this. Good luck if you have too many hobbies (or a career) that rely on much gear.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:09 PM   #27
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
"Were our society such that only a few years of work would pay in full for a lifelong dwelling we wouldn't ask these questions.

It really isn't about the things.
"

Exactly! It was when reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau that this became very clear to me many years ago. The accounting of labor hours and how much of it one need spend to live was quite enlightening in that book.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Remember that Thoreau's sojourn only lasted a couple of years and he was back in the village scratching out a living with the rest of them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote