Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Securing your trailer...

I'm a beginner and may be asking a question with an obvious answer but here goes: how does one secure his or her trailer when one leaves for most of the day? Is there a way to lock the wheels? Additionally, is there a better method in securing your Honda generators (probably two 2000s) to a truck or trailer than the use of a chain or cable?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Old 08-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I don't recommend applying AC electrical power to the shell.

I do turn off the water supply, even for our home when gone for extended time like a weekend.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
There are a variety of hitch locks, most of which have been discussed at length on the forums. Lots of opinions as to which is best and why. A search should lead you to the appropriate threads.

The most prevalent opinion, however, seems to be that none of them will stop a really determined thief.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Parking in a nice campground with security and lots of people is the best way. Make sure your neighbors know what kind of Tow vehicle you own. If you are parking it and will be away for weeks, I would padlock my aluminum tanks.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You can always ebay yourself a wheel boot: Wheel boot, wheel immobilizer, trailer locking devices, denver boot No one is driving your Airstream down the road with that thing on it.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
I'm a beginner and may be asking a question with an obvious answer but here goes: how does one secure his or her trailer when one leaves for most of the day? Is there a way to lock the wheels? Additionally, is there a better method in securing your Honda generators (probably two 2000s) to a truck or trailer than the use of a chain or cable?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
I have never been that concerned about the trailer being stolen from an RV park. I suppose it must happen, but if so, must be a pretty rare thing as I cannot remember ever reading of a case on any of the RV forums. More likely is to have it stolen from a storage yard.

You can get hitch locks if you are concerned, and I imagine - depending on the style of wheel you have, you might get a cable lock through two adjacent wheels.

As for the gennie(s), I travel with a single Honda 2000. I bought the steel security handle that clamps over the original plastic lifting handle and makes it more difficult for someone to just saw through the plastic handle, and I use a strong cable lock trough that handle to an eyebolt in the back of our pickup truce -which also has a locked Leer cap. But of course, as is often said, if someone wants it badly enough it will be gone! That is whey we pay for insurance!

I believe yo can buy me sort of aftermarket security bases to mount in trucks or on trailer tongues that secure the Honda gennie from underneath somehow.

So far, we mostly use our generator at Flying J truck stops when traveling too & from the Southern states in winter.

Truc and trailer are still hooked up, I remove the gennie from the truck and set it on the ground near the hitch. I have two lock cables linked together, so I can still have it locked inside the truck and can even close and lock the Leer cap door.

Even so I would not risk leaving it outside running in a Flying J carpark while we sleep.

Instead, I get the trailer good and warm, then turn the furnace thermostat down into the fifties, then pack the gennie away and run the furnace on coach batteries overnight.

Time permitting, I might fire it up again in the Am for an hour or so to recharge the batteries while we have breakfast before leaving. (Charging from the gennie and AS battery charger is much quicker than from the truck connection.)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote