Old 05-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #57
2009 22' Sport
Weimar , Texas
Thank You "Foiled Again" for starting this thread. My husband and I are Newbies to Airstreaming and are approaching retirement age. I have often wondered what fulltiming was like or even halftiming! I have read other articles and posts on the subject but most people seem to be afraid of actually giving out real numbers! It has been interesting and enlightening that so many people on the Airstream forum have been so open and forthcoming. Thank You, I say! Of course, I have to wait for our elderly cats, age 16 and 13, to pass on before we could consider traveling more than a few weeks at a time, but in the meantime I love the research. Thanks to everybody for the input! Happy Traveling.

AirTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #58

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Extended Travel/Vacations

In the last year we've started taking extended trips rather than simply long weekend camping trips. We're not full-timing so our data may not be entirely on target with Paula's initial post. Our spending for 30+ day trips has been in the $70 - $100 per day range. We take some effort to keep it on the low end when possible by finding overnight spots for $20 or less, cooking more of our food and spending time on walking trails versus attractions that have an entry fee. But these trips are vacations so we eat out more than somebody that might be full-timing and we travel more than somebody that stays put for several nights or weeks.

The $70 - $100 includes all expenses associated with that particular trip - fuel, food, groceries, propane, etc. - anything we buy during that time (or before/after that time) that pertains to that trip.

What's not included is medical insurance and any other expenses related to our bricks & mortar residence.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
This is going to vary so much from person-to-person. It all depends on how you live and budget in your stick-house life and how you live and budget in your full-timing life.

We've been on the road for eight months.

We lived in one of the most expensive places to live in the country, with a mortgage to match (even for our small townhome). When we decided to full-time, we fully financed a brand new truck (0% APR!) and also partially financed the Airstream. So we consider our the total of our car+truck+campground payments our new "mortgage", and though the new "mortgage" is less than the old, it's not even close to 50% less. It's stil quite a savings, however. I know a lot of people travel in fully-paid-off TVs and trailers, so there's a huge savings there for them! Also, we tend to boondock less and stay in more full-ammenity-type parks — mostly for the electric and Wifi I need for my job (I do web design and development), so others could theoretically spend A LOT less on campgrounds than we do.

Gas: If we were to compare what we spend on gas now to what we spent, say, three years ago, when both of us had long commutes, we spend less now. The truck guzzles it more, but even though we're exploring the entire country, we're putting in far less miles than when we both commuted to work every day. About three years ago, I started working from home and we bought Prius—less commute and better mileage. Now we spend more on gas than we did in that phase of our life.

Food: We spend more on this on the road. Factors:
•*No more Costco — no room to carry stuff that big!
• When you're in a new place all of the time, you don't always know where the good food and values are, so you tend to just buy food where you can, and can't plan the shopping as well.
• I'm a foodie, so every time we hit a new spot I find about ten restaurants that I just have to try. At home, we enjoyed eating out semi-regularly, but here, all the new shiny restaurants at every turn are just too tempting. We eat out a lot.

Communitcations/Internet: Because of my work and the necessity to have reliable internet, I have two 3G cards from different carriers, which totals about $120/mo —*more than internet at home. But we don't have cable, a land line, etc. But, we do have XM Radio, OnStar, Netflix Streaming and Hulu plus, so it's probably near a wash.
We have the same cell phone plans we did before

No electric bill. We've spent an average of about $40/mo on propane since we've started, but it's also been cold for about 80% of time we've been on the road, and we really prefer the furnace to the electric methods of heating, so we used it a lot, and we expect that to go way down for the next several months.

Miscellaneous shopping: has gone way down! There just isn't room to just get "stuff" you want without having to get rid of stuff you have, so it makes purchasing decisions a lot more critical.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #60
1973 Argosy 24
Inman , South Carolina
I lived in our 34' AS for five years and worked 3.5 hours from home. Then I thought a condo on that end of the state was a better idea - wrong! Were lucky enough to sell it after six months and move back to the AS. Have been retired and living in a stick built for 1.5 years and just bought an Argosy (picking up this week) to go back to RVing. Life is much more simple and much less expensive.
Proud new owner of a '73 Argosy

Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote