Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
THREE GRAND?! I don't get how you have to spend 120 bucks a day fulltiming, if the thing's paid for. Am I dividing 3 grand by 30 the wrong way or something?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
THREE GRAND?! I don't get how you have to spend 120 bucks a day fulltiming, if the thing's paid for. Am I dividing 3 grand by 30 the wrong way or something?
well... it all depends on your choices and situation. We don't have enough data yet to figure out what our monthly budgets/expenses will be on average for the year but we still carry life insurance, health insurance, car insurance, RV insurance, campground fees, internet fees, cell phones and fuel costs. (lots of insurance... isn't?)

I know one couple who probably get by on very little but they boon dock 90% of the time and have beefed up their 5ther with extra tanks and solar.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
They have a brand new Airstream and multiple kids. I'm guessing they've included the note on the Airstream and living expenses for all the kids, etc. $3k/month total isn't bad for a family with a new "house" and a vehicle or two.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Ah. That's super cool then, like my British friends who sailed around the Mediterranean for 3 years with their toddlers, then pulled into harbor when they were broke & went back to making real money.

This is interesting to me because, like Paula, I am crunching numbers after having the first real-life financial conversation with my b'friend ("OK, after all this economic upheaval how much money do you have left?" "well, how much money do YOU have?") ... because he'll be looking to retire quite young anytime after February, once some international merger of stock exchanges goes through & his tiered bonuses vest (or something like that, please don't quote me I truly do not care to understand how the Germans now own the NYSE) ... we'll never full time, he's too tall & I'm too invested in my gardens. But we want to live a sensible, carefree life. Part of that is having the cushion, part of it is choosing your limits (I think).

Lots of extended travel, and a travel trailer that is not my '56 Bubble (please keep your eyes out for a Westcraft trolley top, folks, PLEEEEEEEZ), are part of those plans. Up until now I hadn't really thought to factor in the costs vs. a regular vacation.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #19
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
down the road

We sold our house almost two years ago.Now home is where we park the airstream. We travel fultime. We travel on the average 3000 miles a month and stay mostly two nights in one place.

At 10 miles per gallon and $3.75 per gallon that is roughly $1125
At an average of $30 per night (and that might be a few $ high) = $880

those two items equal about 24000 annually or 2000 per month.

In Texas a modest stiks and brick house, if paid for,..taxes, utilities and insurance will run about $1200 per month

those are the only two variables ( outside of maintenance and tires for truck and airstream)

anything elese you spend will be spent regardless of where you live...

all things considered....to answer the question...How much does it cost to live in an RV......How much you got????
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Quote:
"Comfortable" is the key word here and I'm talking total minimum income. Leaving room for savings, maintenance etc. Also we want to go where we want to include my love for Fort Wilderness....
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
They have a brand new Airstream and multiple kids. I'm guessing they've included the note on the Airstream and living expenses for all the kids, etc. $3k/month total isn't bad for a family with a new "house" and a vehicle or two.
We are technically full timing right now but it's forced, waiting on base housing.

The full timing I'm referring to includes no AS debt, the house is rented, kids are gone (youngest is 14), DH is retired from the military (at least 4 years away). I know we can do it on 3k its choosing the home base and house I want that's the hardest part.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Excellent analysis, Paula.

After a recent 6 week long unexpected and unplanned-for foray into fulltiming I would agree that the cost savings are minimal. I find that in my situation and in my area it isn't possible to find acceptable sites for much less than $600 a month.

A fair cost comparison would be to a stick house of similar size. Small one bedroom houses sell cheaply.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Further observations.

It is true, I buy a lot less stuff - clothing especially. "Where would I put it?" kills a LOT of random urges. And as a trailer person I don't travel or park in a dress, high heels, pearls and white cotton gloves either. The 1950's are GONE.

BUY "USED" AND SAVE BIG WITH A TIMESHARE MEMBERSHIP
I really suggest that those who would like a stable base - go to craigslist or e-bay and look up "campground memberships" - like brick & mortar time shares these are SO overpriced when they are initially developed! However many people never, or almost never, use their condos, then find they cannot unload them. You will see MANY "just take over my dues and get my name off this darn deed" offers. At my timeshare I can spend about 30 weeks per year for a TOTAL cost of $1400. If there were another timeshare campground close by, I might simply be able to bounce between two and live really cheaply.

Some campgrounds are chains. You can pay $8 per night for other campgrounds in the chain. That has the potential to save big money when you travel. And don't forget Good Sam & a couple of the other clubs, I saved $150 in a single week in San Antonio by spending $15 for a membership. Good coupon! Many campgrounds have cheaper rates Tues, Wed. & Thur - because they are half empty. If you're gonna boondock the savings are more dramatic on Saturday and Sunday.

Boondocking is NOT a four letter word. I started off convinced I wanted hookups all of the time, now in temperate weather I'll do the WalMart thing or choose a boondocking site in a heartbeat. 10 nights a year will save $300 easily. The quiet and starlight when unhooked and in the woods... You might hate it or feel creeped out be being too much alone, but it may be a revelation. Try it twice at least.

When I started this thread, thinking about "savings" I concentrated on housing and transportation expenses. Health insurance, contributing to my 401K, and on and on and on doesn't change. If you're contemplating fulltiming you DO need to know everything you'll be spending on your vehicle and everything you'll be spending on your RV. If you want to live a financially sane life - you need to understand what you spend on everything and what you might be ignoring. Many of my customers are small businesspeople quite a few are "man and a van" businesses - and almost every one of these business people BRAG about how well they are doing - until they are asked if they have great health insurance for themselves and their families, money put aside for the kids college and a robust IRA or 401K. They don't have any of that... and are one broken bone away from having the whole house of cards collapse... so the $3K per month to LIVE makes good sense too.

Paula
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Paula,
Your info is great for those of us who wanna, but can't yet! Keep it comin'

My only experience with full timing was during my last job transfer/relocation. I saved huge cash, but, that was only because I was given a relocation allowance based on hotels and restaurant charges for the area. Completely unrealistic for a full timing analysis....but good for building a boost in new house equity.

Still...I loved the lifestyle and look forward to doing it again...without the work part!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #25
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
?????

statiscally, average miles driven is 17,000 (courtest US dept of trans)
whether you fulltime or not..

so lets make a make believe budget

17,000 miles driven @3.60 per gal......$510.00 per month
say you can park your trailer,
or pay rent of $20.00 per day ......$600.00 per month
say you (1 person_) can
eat for $10.00 per day ......$300.00 per month

maybe you want to splurge
and have tv and internet
connection...basic service ..... $100.00 per month

now one must have insurance
on the vehicle and some type
of home owners insurance on
the trailer ,,,, .....$100.00 per month

most here would have health
insurance...if you are 65 then
it will still cost you .....$400.00 per month

this assumes that your vehicle and trailer are paid for and does not cover any maintence

so you can sit in your trailer and stare at the walls for about $2,000.00 per month and drive to the grocery store and church ...if there are two of you then it might cost $3,000 per month......

and so this is a bare, bare, bare bones estimation of "livin in a trayler full time"

....so

in reality $120.00 per day does not get you very far down the road

.$100.00 per month
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Dont forget cell phone and I think my dog wants to continue to eat and maybe get shots and a yearly bath hehe. Ooh and lets hope no repairs/tires are needed on trailer or tv.
LilNomad
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
We have been traveling full time for four years. We eat well (too well) and travel on about $3000 a month. Our budget for gas is anything below $1000 a month. Our tow vehicle has 140K miles on it (20K mi/year) so we have spent about $10,000 on maintenence (trans, diff, front end), new tires, and repairs (most are small like a cracked rear wheel) in the last two years. Purchased a TPMS for $400 this year as well - this reduces the stress and wory of not knowing if we have a flat.

The money comes from our retirement. The savings are from doing most of the maintenence and repairs ourselves (TV & AS) and by staying in USFS campgrounds and boondocking (our preferred way of camping). We also save big by staying in one place for 3 months in the winter and one month in the summer.

This year we blew our budget by embarking on the grand tour of the northern US and eastern Canada. We left in June and expect to be back in the SW sometime in Nov. The trip has been worth the time and additional expense. We are now in Mass. and headed to NH, ME and then Nova Scotia. Will follow the fall colors south, spend a week in DC and then head back west.

Any tips on where to go and where to stay while we are in the east would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
PS - If you have any tips on where/when to photograph the fall colors (not the obvious but the two week window when the colors peak) in the eastern US I would appreciate them as well.