Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
weehawken , New Jersey
Safety Considerations for Women Travelling Alone?

Hello Everyone-- New here. And to the Airstream life. I am in the process of getting a divorce after 10 years of marriage and am seriously considering storing what little I want and going on the road.

I have some concerns, however, that might be addressed in these forums-- I have to say that it seems like you have a great little community of folks here.

My first concern is about my cats-- but I posted that in a thread on the pet forum so we can focus more fully on that there.

My other concern is my safety. I know that there are alot of single women out there who fulltime and travel and I would love to hear from some of you about what you do in regards to your security. I won't have a big dog or a gun so that knocks those two off the list.

I have travelled to various places alone in my life but always in hotels, etc. How secure are you in a trailer? As I understand it most Rv'ers/full-timers are very gracious and look out for each other. Anyway, I'm not sure what my specific fears are-- perhaps this will help start the discussion and clarify what I'm worried about or help dispense with some of those fears.

Thanks!
jolttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
You will enjoy the Airstream lifestyle and all the wonderful people you will meet.

Always have an awareness of your surroundings and stay in "safe" places. I would avoid rest-stop type places, but that's just me. Usually, wherever you will stay, there will be fellow RVers that will hear you and respond if you need help.

A lot of RVers carry and know how to use a weapon for protection. Since you are not comfortable with a gun, perhaps pepper spray, a baseball bat, a loud whistle. You'll probably never need it, but just have an idea ahead of time of what you would do if you get into trouble.

It's smart that you're thinking about safety, but don't worry too much. Just get out there and enjoy your new lifestyle.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Listen to the little voice...If your uneasy leave...

Welcome, I would suggest listening to that little voice inside we all have. Every time I have pulled into a campground that looked bad... it was. Now if I make reservations in advance when I pull in if I hear that voice say no way...it does not look good, I just continue on if possible.
  • Have a plan which includes how to get out of the campground or parking area before you settle in. Check your routes.
  • Be aware of your surrounding as mentioned before in other posts.
  • Have that whistle, baseball bat or frying pan handy if the worst case develops. Have a plan in your head of what you would do if something happened don't get yourself sick.
  • Have a bag or small backpack with your keys, meds, eyeglasses, and personal info near by, to grab if you need to exit in a hurry.
  • Consider putting out two (2) chairs to give the look of more than one (1) person, to people driving by or walking through the area.
  • Don't telegraph that you are alone give the impression you are waiting for a late arrival after work or at the end of the day. Obviously people will realize you are solo.
With common sense you will do great.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Good advice so far...

I'm married but camp alone sometimes. Here's a couple of small things I do when I do...
  • Carry a large pair of used, muddy men's work or hiking boats - leave them out side your door at night.
  • keep your keys with the car alarm fob nearby - especially at night
Also the two chair thing...our Zip Dees have our names embroidered on them or you could do "his" & "hers", which is even better because your name isn't on it for people to see.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Since you said you won't have a gun, this won't help you - but I'd reconsider.
Pepper spray is good, as is a taser. I have a left-over can of bear-spray (pepper spray on steroids) that we keep in the TT.
If you hang laundry, get a pair or two of men's tightie-whities to add to the line.
One of those marine-air horns will make a heck of a racket in an emergency.
I agree with whirlaway - you can usually tell when you pull into a place if it's gonna be ok or not so much.
Best of luck in your travels - and be careful out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44-410L1side.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	77016  
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I'm married but camp alone sometimes. Here's a couple of small things I do when I do...
  • Carry a large pair of used, muddy men's work or hiking boats - leave them out side your door at night.
  • keep your keys with the car alarm fob nearby - especially at night
Also the two chair thing...our Zip Dees have our names embroidered on them or you could do "his" & "hers", which is even better because your name isn't on it for people to see.

Shari
Whirlaway's suggestions were great as were Shari's. We have a friend who traveled alone. She had a construction hard hat from a friend's job site. She would keep the hard hat in the back window of her car when she traveled ... sort of same concept as the muddy men's work boots. Seems to have worked for her. She's 89 now and still travels alone occasionally without any bad incidents. She stays very aware of her surroundings. I do recall her mentioning a time or two that she had that uneasy feeling about a rest area -- and would keep going rather than stop.

nancy mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Burn a CD of a medium-sized dog barking, and play it occasionally in your trailer's stereo, loud enough to be heard outside. If you are creative, you can wire it so when people push the doorbell, the CD of the barking dog plays.
Invent a companion, and add the companion's name to a couple of towels and/or lawn chair. A license plate frame that says "we love our airstream" would be another subtle clue you are not alone. Learn to use the "Royal We", as in "we are going to the store", or "we went to the movies last night".

Probably 99+% of the time, you will not need any of these suggestions, and most of the rest of the time, the subtle hints given in this thread will probably stop at least half of the rest of the potential problems.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
You should try to get some input from Michelle (THECATSANDI) who often posts here.

I am a VERY security conscious guy, having worked the better part of my career in a security related function in a major multinational corporation.

In most respects, but not all, the risks are similar for you whether you are a female going to the mall or traveling across the country in an RV. Just be aware of you surroundings, and don't put yourself in risky situations.

One difference though is the big rig that you'll be towing behind you when you're Rving. This will restrict your mobility to some degree -- it will limit your ability to get into and out of some places as easily as you could without it, and it will reduce the speed with which you can move (to get away from a bad situation if necessary).

That being said, I'd want to carefully plan ahead where I'm going, and for the most part travel in the daytime. You don't want to get lost and going down a dead end street at night in the wrong part of town, towing your Airstream (worst case scenario), for example.

Other than that, I think you'll have a ball, and shouldn't be unduly concerned.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
One of my customers was the cheif of police in a medium sized city. He said they were in one hotel or another to look after an incident almost every night of the year and often more than once. He said he could not remember ever being called to the two RV parks in town.

A charged cell phone with the park # programed in and at hand is a good insurance policy.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Your own comfort level is going to guide you - and it is likely to change over time - but in addition to most of the suggestions already mentioned you might also want to consider:

- frequenting campgrounds or parks with security
- choosing sites in the busier parks are busier areas of parks
- pointing your vehicle towards your campsite so that if you do activate the alarm you are also lighting up your unwanted guest.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
What I do is plan for 2 stops at the end of the day with the 1st one around 4 to 5 PM if for some reason the 1st stop just doesn't feel right or the CG does not meet our expectations move on to the 2nd.
Always plan on being off the road and set up before dark.

So far I have never had to move on but it is nice knowing I have a back-up.

I think you are far safer in a CG than in a hotel however, in an Airstream you may have more visitors than in SOB since Airstreams seem to attract more attention.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Unless they see you alone. Most people will assume you are travelling with a man.
I have spent many a night in a wal-mart parking lot, truck stops(both have security cameras). I do not like rest stops. Much less security.
I do have a large can of pepper spray at my bedside.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Just DO It.

I've always been independent, but for some reason after a long life of making my own decisions I hesitated about getting the Airstream and going full timing.

Got a LOT of encouragement right here.

Best thing I've done in the last 20 years (since kicking his cheating ass to the door).

Ditto on the his and hers chairs, hardhat or muddy boots... especially with the muddy boots (size 13 preferably), as you leave the trailer you shout back in the open door "I'm taking the trash out, you lazy bum! Next time, you stop cleaning the shotguns and get your own lazy ass out!" Then you slam the door.

Seriously I've done the truck stop thing, the WalMart lot, etc. I agree, stop early and listen to that inside voice. More than once I've chosen to move on, but most of the time it's all great.

Only once had anything really creepy happen. Fortunately I just used my remote key to set off the horn alarm on the truck... the guy vanished.

Paula
Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
She had a construction hard hat from a friend's job site. She would keep the hard hat in the back window of her car when she traveled ... sort of same concept as the muddy men's work boots.
Heck, I have my own hard hat and actually have to wear it for work! For those who don't, you can pick one up at most hardware stores. Couple of tips...put some beer and sports stickers on it, then take it out and throw it around in the street to rough it up. A "real man" would never have clean and un-customized hard hat ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Comments posted so far are all good -- except the bit about shouting about cleaning shotguns -- and I'm sure too that you'll have little problem. A couple of things to add...

The most intimidating practical personal defense item I can recommend is a seriously bright police-type flashlight, specifically a Mag Lite "Mag Charger." This is about $100 and can be recharged from 120 volts or 12 volts. It is much brighter than anything that operates from normal D cells.

I was the munchkin in tow when my mother made the same decision you did, only we were tent camping. Three times across the country and all over in between (and we ended up on the opposite coast). It was a different time (40 years ago, I was 7 to 10 years old) but some things haven't changed. It was far less common for single women to be out alone doing such a thing, and many friends worried about her safety (and sanity). She said that she found one of the most significant protective things to do, from getting good service at garages to cooperation from campground hosts for late arrivals, was the fact that she was driving a shiny new car (in this case, a 1963 Dodge Dart convertible). She felt that the miscreants we occasionally ran across were put off by the neat appearance of our "rig." I've seen that in my travels too; ragtag people who look like they need help are victimized where people who seem together and self-sufficient are left alone.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljosephson View Post
Comments posted so far are all good -- except the bit about shouting about cleaning shotguns -- and I'm sure too that you'll have little problem. A couple of things to add...

The most intimidating practical personal defense item I can recommend is a seriously bright police-type flashlight, specifically a Mag Lite "Mag Charger." This is about $100 and can be recharged from 120 volts or 12 volts. It is much brighter than anything that operates from normal D cells.

I was the munchkin in tow when my mother made the same decision you did, only we were tent camping. Three times across the country and all over in between (and we ended up on the opposite coast). It was a different time (40 years ago, I was 7 to 10 years old) but some things haven't changed. It was far less common for single women to be out alone doing such a thing, and many friends worried about her safety (and sanity). She said that she found one of the most significant protective things to do, from getting good service at garages to cooperation from campground hosts for late arrivals, was the fact that she was driving a shiny new car (in this case, a 1963 Dodge Dart convertible). She felt that the miscreants we occasionally ran across were put off by the neat appearance of our "rig." I've seen that in my travels too; ragtag people who look like they need help are victimized where people who seem together and self-sufficient are left alone.

It's all about command presence...In the first few seconds people size you up as a victim or not a victim.

Consider the Streamlight new LED flashlight. I have carried both and I have preferred the Streamlight, it holds it's charge when out in the cold temps for over an hour were the Maglite seems to die very quickly. LED gives you longer run time with the option of the regular bulb for task lighting.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:15 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I have traveled alone- particularly while recovering trailers. Ditto on the flashlight, bear spray, and emergency numbers in your phone. I wouldn't go nuts with too much stuff (but if your staying for awhile- two chairs is worth it). The best thing is to not come across as all skitish and spooked- don't let yourself be tagged as the victim. One thing is for sure- you will never regret getting your airstream!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
These are all great suggestions and even those of us who have a travel companion can keep them in mind. I will do most of the driving and some assumptions might be made. My favorite is the mudy boots.
It is one reason I always own a big dog, I know they are really ***** cats but most people up to know good will avoid someone with a 4 legged companion.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Biggest Safety/Security Concerns

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned perhaps the three most probable safety and security issues -
  • Common Sense - don't drive when you are tired, do not exceed your personal limitations, do not drive in bad weather or when ice may be encountered on the road.
  • Maintain a properly sized Tow Vehicle (TV) for your trailer and purchase the best Weight Distribution (WD) Hitch you can afford.
  • Have a contingency plan for your travel plans and equipment and know what to do when it breaks down or you are involved in an accident.
On common sense:

- I'll leave that one alone - A good GPS with trip planner and a good cell phone with nationwide coverage will go a long way to helping you with go/no go decisions.

On a Tow Vehicle:

Purchase a properly sized vehicle (Factory Tow rated for at least 120% of the weight of your trailer) AND capable of being loaded with everything" (including the tongue weight) without busting the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

The best reference that I know of to assist in choosing your TV is the "Trailer Life" series of Tow Guides (by year). Below is a link to their 2008 Guide - it's a huge PDF file (19 megs), so it will take a while to load, but please take the time to read and understand it.

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/di...wGuide0801.pdf

I have quoted what I believe to be the most important paragraph in that guide below.

"The GVWR figures are neither guidelines nor estimates; they are limits, and there are numerous valid reasons the manufacturer arrived at the figures given. If you think these figures are “close enough” or have a fudge-factor percentage built in, think again. Your warranty coverage — and your safety — may be at risk."

There is a lot to learn about towing and vehicles here in the Forums - use the advanced search function to find specifics.

On Contingency Plans:

NEVER succumb to "get there itis" - if it takes an extra day - or two or three - that's OK - take your time and travel safe. Slow down, enjoy the scenery, or the attractions of where you are.

Be sure you have a GOOD break down and towing plan. I can attest to the benefits of the "Good Sam" tow plan. I am sure there are others that rank in the same league as "Good Sam", but I am familiar with their services.

When broken down on the side of the road you really do not have the luxury of finding the "best" local towing company that is capable of handling your TV and trailer. Good Sams has a central US dispatcher, they have pre-approved towing servises all over the country, and, best of all, they will call them and pay them directly - no out of pocket expense to you.

I used them when the 345 MoHo' transmission went south several years ago. The wait for a rig was a bit longer than usual because the "closest" recommended rig was out of commission. But I was saved unknown hours because Good Sams knew WHO to call, and had backups to the priimary service providers.

Again, good praises for Good Sam's, they asked all of the appropriate questions, - they were looking for health/safety issues first - made sure that we were "OK" (able to handle the situation mentally), and fished out that we knew that no work could be done until Monday - they even offered to tow us to a campsite and retow on Monday morning.

All the people we talked to with Good Sam's were based in the Boston area. They had all the resources in the area listed on their computer, I could not imagine me calling through a yellow pages list late on Saturday trying to find a tow truck that was outfitted properly to tow the MoHo.

Good Sam continued to call after to make sure that we were not only safe but were handling the stress of the situation. I used them a second time when I had a flat time on the TV which I could not handle myself. The same good service ensued, even though it was four o'clock in the morning.

Like I said, I am sure there are other RV specific (that's an important item - dont expect a "run of the mill" towing policy to handle an RV situation) towing services, but I have had nothing but good service from Good Sam.

RV'ing is supposed to be enjoyable - take your time, take it slow, ask questions, "try" various TV's and trailers to see if they "fit". I once purchased a new Chebby half ton - sold it with about 600 miles on it - it simply did not "fit" - never could get comfortable driving it.

For sure, go to as many Forums and WBCCI rallys as you can and ask as many questions as possible from as many people as possible. For starters, the knowledge base here in these Forum pages is your most valuable source of information.

Luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
weehawken , New Jersey
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I was thinking about it over the weekend and it struck me that I have no problem traveling alone in a car or on a plane or in hotels etc and I have been on the streets of NYC and on subways in the wee hours of the morning (NYC of course being a much safer place now than ever) without problems-- so why am I nervous about traveling alone with an airstream? I think it may just be out of my comfort zone since I haven't done it before--not sure what to expect etc.
jolttx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, single, fulltiming