Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
S.D. For Domicile

Have any fulltimers set up domicile in SD? What are the drawbacks if any? From what I have been reading at other rv sites it is a great deal for a FT - no state income tax and lower insurance. Also seems easy to do. Input from anyone who has done it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Try Montana....................

Lots of RVers setting up an LLC and get away with NO TAX for a lot of things!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Llc Costs?

Haven't heard of this. How difficult is this to do and what are the costs? Do you know where I can get more info on this? Thanks'shaker
Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Do a search on Montana sales tax. Evidently the RV dealers will point you to the attorneys in Helena who'll set you up in a couple of days or so. The big RV dealership that happens to sell Airstreams is renowned for poorly serving Airstreamers -- whether at point of sale or for service afterward. They've got a captive audience of people who want to avoid taxes and the dealership has not motivation to change. Do other searches on their name if you want to hear how bad it can get. I'd rather negotiate my best price and have a relationship I can trust.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Already own AS

I already have my as- outside of saving sales tax, I don't see where a MT LLC will benefit me. Am planning on setting up domicile in SD and wanted the good, the bad and the ugly from other FT that have done it. 'shaker
Old 04-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
South Dakota residency?

Well, sure... An '06 34-footer? Sorry, I missed that first time around.

Have any readers set up South Dakota residency for full-timing?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 04-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I have heard of people doing it for the two reasons mentioned in the first post: no state income tax and insurance costs.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would say Montana. I am an official resident of Montana. I own land there I intend to retire there in hopefully 10 years.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Good Deal in SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker
Have any fulltimers set up domicile in SD? What are the drawbacks if any? From what I have been reading at other rv sites it is a great deal for a FT - no state income tax and lower insurance. Also seems easy to do. Input from anyone who has done it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, 'shaker
A couple of buddies are going that way. SD is listed as the lowest cost state to live in. The only requirement is for you go there in person for your license. All other activities; registration, no inspection sticker, no income tax and insurance can be handled by intermediaries. They do mail drops too. The government there understands that if the costs are low they will come. I have heard too hot in summer, too cold in winter. Spring and fall are great! Best pheasant hunting in the country.
I cannot wait to visit.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hello Mr.Freightliner,opps,I mean Fr8tshaker .Guess what I do for a living? Place "income tax free states" in your google search.In Florida,we have no income taxes.I'am an ex owner/op and if I remember right in Montana there's no general sales tax on anything.TX,TN,FL,and OR have no income taxes.Not sure 'bout S.D.Best of luck to you. Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
_

. , .
hi 'shaker...

it is true that s.d. is the trendy state for fulltimers now...

and they have made the process very very easy.

IF you're looking for info join the escapees, they've got good stuff posted.

for retirees, choosing a state is mostly about saving on insurance and tags and so on...

IF you are still working and have much income be very very careful....

state income tax rules are particular to each state....

some states, for example EXPECT earners to file and PAY IF they spend only a short time IN the state...

as is weeks2months.

so declaring s.d or texas or az or washington or florida as your home state...

does NOT automatically mean state income taxes aren't owned in mo, or ark or ks or ohio...

IF you work/live part of the year in those states with income tax.

seldom are retirees chased but employed people is a 'nother matter.

while a drivers license, mail drop and voter registration may complete the picture for a retiree...

other issues like banking and health insurance and where you actually sleep....

matter too.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #12
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
TX,TN,FL,and OR have no income taxes.Not sure 'bout S.D.Best of luck to you. Brian
Small correction - Oregon does have income tax. (Washington, neighbor to the north, does not).
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
2air' was mentioning Escapees RV Club – the club for all RVers. They are a good resource for fulltimers -- figuring out how to have an address and mailbox while on the road, etc.

Correct, Texas has no income tax. I can only reference the last I lived there but would welcome current Texans' comments on TVs & Airstreams. In the late '70s at least, Texas did have property tax on durable goods. I was a renter at the time but the local tax folks were quizzing me on home appliances & vehicles just as we were relocating out of state. This was at the one year of residency point.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Small correction - Oregon does have income tax. (Washington, neighbor to the north, does not).
RIGHT! But Oregon has no sales tax!!!

If you look at any large moHo while you are on the road, chances are that you'll see a good number of them with Montana tags. You don't need to be a resident, just set up an LLC thru any number of law offices in the state that provide this service for a 'modest fee'.

When you decide to buy a new trailer or TV, you can then use your LLC as the purchaser and not have to pay the selling dealer (wherever they are) ANY TAXES, as you will be registering it out of state. The law firm will even arrange to have a temporary transit tag sent to you until your 'real' Montana plates arrive!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Old Hickory , Tennessee
Thumbs up Montana LLC

I've used the services of a Montana "Agent" to establish my LLC and get my trailer and TV registered in Montana. Most who advertize in the RV mags want an arm and a leg (like gas) but I found one who is good and reasonable.
Referral: Helen G. Fandrich, 406-227-7665 or mtcorpserv@hotmail.com
Tell her Steve sent you - HA!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
San Diego , California
I've established my residency in South Dakota and find it really advantageous. No state income tax, 3% on purchases, lower licensing fees. Of course, as stated previously, getting your drivers license there does require an inperson visit, but is so quick it is ridiculous.

Try myhomeaddressinc.com for some advice and assistance. I used them before I 'moved' to Rapid City. There are a number of mail services in South Dakota that are knowledgeable about RV life.
rss_ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Ditto here - I've been a South Dakota "resident" since last June. The process is quick - whole thing took me about 3 hours and the only reason it took that long was the drivers license bureau in Madison wasn't open that day and I had to drive down to Sioux Falls to get my license. I've gone with

www.mydakotaddress.com

and am totally satisfied with their service so far. Very inexpensive - in fact I don't see how the woman running it makes any money but I guess she does. For me coming from Virginia license plates were a good bit more expensive, I had a small savings on my truck insurance but the trailer insurance was double what I was paying in VA - but that might have been because I was going fulltime. I'm with State Farm and have been for years but may do some shopping around for trailer insurance the next time I have to renew. This was more than offset by no income tax, personal property tax and the hassle of vehicle inspections.

Although I'm no expert I think that most people who choose Montana are those who purchase very expensive RVs and they want to save the sales tax. If you already have a trailer doubt if MT would be the best choice. The top 3 for fulltimers are FL, SD and TX.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote