Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Punta Gorda , Florida
Running Dometic A/C full time in Florida

We are full timers in florida, I was wondering what you would say about running our A/C full time… It is brutally hot and humid here in florida in the summers(9 months a year), and don't want to ruin our A/C unit.
meswoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
I full timed in my 05 classic 30 for, 4 years with no issues (don't leave pets alone I did have a circuit breaker pop once).

Our 05 safari bunkhouse has been powered and ac on non stop for the past 3 years (we run generators while driving to keep it cool).

We are in FL and both units have never had a problem.....
Old 08-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Some people swear by the special white paint that is made especially for roofs. Differences of >10F improvement have been claimed.

Another solution might be if your park will allow you to put an awning over your TT?

Short of that, this IS what your AC unit was made for, isn't it..?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Run mine in driveway. No cover yet. Can go inside anytime and minimizes heat issues inside.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Like any appliance there is a wear and tear factor, but if you are full timing and need it, there is no reason to be leaving it off just to "save" it. I had an air conditioner on my SOB that I owned for 14 years. I never had a failure in that unit over that course of time. The key to me regarding life expectancy short of leaks in the cooling agent is the quality of the power. Surges, spikes, and voltage will probably be the determining factor in the life you get from your air conditioner. I know if I was full timing I'd probably be considering using a surge protector which includes protection from low voltage. Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 30 Amp - TRC 34730-001-LCD - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I expect that two years, maybe three will be the lifespan given low quality RV park power. Run mine nearly year-round.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I agree with TavnAsh, but then again it's probably because he's my brother. I've full timed in my 27FB for three years in NW Florida and my AC runs all the time during the summer. Haven't had an issue and run a high quality surge protector and replaced the skylights with Maxim skylights which made a difference. I say run your A/C and be comfortable. I'd gladly replace mine with a more powerful unit rather than sweat during the day.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I don't believe you should have a problem running the A/C as needed in Florida. Actually, I would guess that might be better than having it sit for months at a time and only running for a short time. It's Florida, enjoy the sunshine and stay cool.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Jensen Beach , Florida
I'm in Florida year round. First 2 1/2 years used my AC sporadically on camping trips of 3-14 days. Have been full timing the last 1 1/2 years with AC on full time. Dometic AC 13,500 unit quit working. Unit was only 4 years old. Ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
pdurkin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I notice RV A/C units in commercial applications, like parking payment booths at the airport, on the tollway, etc. They run all summer and at least look really old (most of them). I am also in the camp that running them is better than them sitting for extended times.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I am interested in this general question as it relates to storing my Airstream here in central alabama...have heard folks leave it on in summer all summer set at say 85 degrees...I could later on have 50 amp hookup at home...I do not now...for now I have enough juice to run dehumidier only full time - keeps it hot but dry year round (keep at 50% in summer).

If I LIVED in it in FL.....that sucker would simply run as it needed to all the time

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Keep those filters nice and clean. That can bog things down.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have run ours full time when camping in the summer. When we do leave our dog I open the power vents and turn them on just in case the circuit blows and the A/C shuts off. In that way she will have some air flow and we are or try to never be gone for longer than four hours at a time.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
When I had my unit, I ran AC while in Fla. AC failed and the tech said because of low voltage from the outlet. I had checked things when first settled in but not later.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I do not full time but on occasion we use our AS in the Summer, when we have guests or I am doing a project of sorts inside. The only issue I ran into was condensation on the metal parts of the AC when we frequently opened and closed the door with the high humidity. Other then that,good to go!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
When I had my unit, I ran AC while in Fla. AC failed and the tech said because of low voltage from the outlet. I had checked things when first settled in but not later.

A TT here caught fire when owner left town with both on low. Low park voltage and high early morning humidity placed too high an amperage load for voltage available. Leave fan on high in this instance. Even with dehumidifier running constantly A/C fan should always run on high well before dawn. An auto former may help but one is near TT elec system limits.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would not run the thing full time in storage. I would consider a dehumidifier. I keep a box fan in front of a window with it on low. A couple other windows are open to circulate air. If the inner skin is cold water will condense inside the walls. If the inner and outer skins are more or less the same temp then less condensation. Keep it out of the sun as much as you can but let it sit in the sun some to dry things out. Did you get a roof over your pad yet?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I am interested in this general question as it relates to storing my Airstream here in central alabama...have heard folks leave it on in summer all summer set at say 85 degrees...I could later on have 50 amp hookup at home...I do not now...for now I have enough juice to run dehumidier only full time - keeps it hot but dry year round (keep at 50% in summer).

If I LIVED in it in FL.....that sucker would simply run as it needed to all the time
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I now use dehumidifier full time and keep things sealed up

No roof yet - next year projected

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote