Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Reclining inside the Airstream

I'm considering purchasing an Airstream for extended trips, basically full-time, just me and my dog. One thing I know about myself - I'm a recliner - and that's not going to change. I'm reclining right now in fact.

I really like the reclining lawn chairs that are available these days. I'm sure I will spend many hours under the awning in one. Kindof my objective, really.

Sometimes the weather or other factors will be problematic - that's why they come with heaters, airconditioners, and window screens I suppose. I'm trying to picture myself reclining in an Airstream.

Here's the thing - I don't see recliners in Airstreams. The only solution I can see is to bring my reclining lawn chair inside at those times. I'm sure some Airstreams have enough open floor space to handle that, SO units for example. I suspect some don't.

How do others meet this need?

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Some have replaced the front gaucho (couch) with a pair of recliners. There are several posts here showing them, it's just a matter of doing a little digging and finding them. In fact there was a good one a day or two ago. let me go see if I can find it.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I can't find the one I'm thinking of. One of the members replaced his gaucho with a pair of leather recliners. He posted pictures and it looked great.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
That sounds like a great solution. It's hard for me to imagine what's involved in such a replacement.

What's there when the gaucho is removed? Is it bolted down? Does the flooring and wall covering extend behind it?

How do you get it out? Is the door big enough? How do you get recliners in?

I would love to see those photos.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
cbgenrich:

I have a 2005 Classic 30. I also wanted a recliner but didn't want to give up the front couch. I removed the credenza and put in an Ekorne recliner. Very confortable although expensive. I love it. We like to rough it but only os much.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Here's what I have: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...0&userid=17830. It's a Lane recliner.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I have attached a picture of the recliner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0321.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	75453  

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
my 1998 34' came with both couch and recliner - nice if you have a guest, you can both stretch out.

I call this pic How much can you fit in an airstream living room?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11small.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	75469  
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
The folks from Melbourne, Fla have two recliners. I'm a recliner too. I finally broke down and we bought two matching ones for our den so we don't have to share:>
Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Those photos all look very wonderful. None are "reclined", but I guess you achieve that by pulling them away from the wall a bit, at which point they must take up all of the available space. I appreciate the trouble everyone has taken to share these.

From just looking at the floor plans, without being able to measure space and chair it's hard to picture the geometries.

For example, I've attached a snip with a 25' FB Classic Limited floorplan. Without modifications, do you suppose a folding lawn-style recliner of the newer very comfortable sort could be positioned with the back reclining over the sofa and still have room for the footrest without hitting the stove?

-CB-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream 25' FB Classic Limited Trailer.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	75477  
Old 02-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Just make sure you get a non-front bed model with an 8' sofa. Toss on a couple of pillows, stretch out and Bob's you Uncle!
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Here is my idea of recliners - works well for us.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
We left the couch (gaucho) in the front as is and liked the idea of a couple of recliners but space is always an issue. I went to a local junkyard and bought two front leather wrapped seats out of a 7 year old BMW 3 series for 30 bucks a piece. Removed the seatbelt hardware and built an oak base to put them at a comfortable height. Oak matches our interior woodwork and also gives a little storage beneath. They are very comfortable, recline, don't take up too much space, and the price was right. In the upright position they work very well at the table for eating if you make them the correct height.
Just an idea for you to consider.
Bill
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Most creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
We left the couch (gaucho) in the front as is and liked the idea of a couple of recliners but space is always an issue. I went to a local junkyard and bought two front leather wrapped seats out of a 7 year old BMW 3 series for 30 bucks a piece. Removed the seatbelt hardware and built an oak base to put them at a comfortable height. Oak matches our interior woodwork and also gives a little storage beneath. They are very comfortable, recline, don't take up too much space, and the price was right. In the upright position they work very well at the table for eating if you make them the correct height.
Bill
You just might win the prize for the most creative reclining ideas posted yet.....how did you happen to think of using BMW seats?........pretty slick I would say, pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Cantrell - brilliant idea - do you have any pictures?
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
Bill
I sure would like to see a picture of your seats....uh, chairs.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
We have a 98 34' which has the wide body. Wide bodies began in 96 I believe and it does provide more comfortable living space. We have a danish recliner with ottoman as well as the sofa. I also recommend a hardwood floor as carpet is hard to maintain. The 34' also includes addtional closet and storage which makes life easier when you spend longer periods of time in them. We would not trade ours for a different model. It tows fantastically with the right TV and hitch(Hensley HaHa). Everyone I know who owns a 34' would not trade it and many people who have bought shorter models have trading for a longer one.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I got my 73 it had a vibrating recliner of sorts. It looked like original equipment. Still worked and had the added advantage of being loud enough to drown out my generator.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Fell into it. Was at the salvage place getting a few parts for an old Mercedes I was restoring. Saw the BMW (front end looked like it was big tree vs. car--tree won). Seats looked to be in good shape, though. German car seats are basically just wide enough to do the job but very comfortable so made perfect sense to use them in the camper where every inch counts. Probably not for everyone but it works for us.
By the way, if you take a seatbelt mechanism apart, be careful--some parts are under extreme tension and could really hurt you.
Thanks,
Bill
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
You could replace the sofa with a reclining sofa from Flexsteel. They also make other styles of recliners. I believe that these are designed to be able to fit through the doorway.

Flexsteel - Reclining Sofas & Sectionals