Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Our Ekornes recliners: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...00&userid=3264

More photos in Member Photos, Bob Thompson
Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Bob, your setup looks pretty ideal. Comfortable, appropriate, high end. Nice.

In many of the Airstreams, the shorter ones in particular, the reclining lawn chair or at least it's footrest would surely have to fit into the space "down the hallway" so to speak. Like in the kitchen area. What's the minimum width of that center passage on these things?

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Bob, love those recliners, we still have younger kids so we can' t pull up the extra sleeping yet. Would love to put in a pair of those recliners
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We've had them for about 5 years now, but if I had to do it over, I'd go for a more traditional recliner, but in a small format and wall hugger configuration. I have encountered such chairs made by Barcalounger called St. Claire and Abbey (if my memory serves me correctly). We have Flexsteel recliners at home which are more comfortable to me than the Ekornes recliners, so I would us the Flexsteel brand as a place to start my search for suitable recliners.

One plus for the Ekornes chairs is the ottomans can be used as seating when we have guests over.

Here is a link to the Abbey: http://mfg.furniturefan.com/detail.a...ge=1&itemnum=3

This Flexsteel might be small enough: http://www.flexsteel.com/home/produc...dSkuId=2855-50

Possible Flexsteel choices: http://www.flexsteel.com/rvmarine/pr...&childCatId=21
Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgenrich View Post
Bob, your setup looks pretty ideal. Comfortable, appropriate, high end. Nice.

In many of the Airstreams, the shorter ones in particular, the reclining lawn chair or at least it's footrest would surely have to fit into the space "down the hallway" so to speak. Like in the kitchen area. What's the minimum width of that center passage on these things?

-CB-
The corridor width in my galley is 36". Placing a reclining lawnchair (such as a Lafuma) in the space available would be a pain, in my opinion. Every time you'd want to get up to use the head, you'd have to fold the chair up to move it out of the way in order to clear a path. I think that the solution like what Bob posted above is ideal if you need a recliner. Also, as I posted above, the front gaucho(or side if there's a dinette) could probably be replaced with a Flexsteel reclining sofa without changing the function of the floorplan. I believe that they are wall huggers, so no need to pull it away from the wall.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Hmm. 36". Nice I think. I'll have to measure a chair now. I guess that width is fairly uniform across different models?

I like the idea of the flexsteel wall-hugging recliner sofa type thing, as well as a couple of recliners with an end table between as an alternative.

Still, I would like to believe that the lawn chair option was available to me in an unmodified not-too-large Airstream. Maybe go to more drastic measures eventually if and when.

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Our '64 Safari has room to sit in a recliner in front of the front gaucho but it would be much easier to get rid of the gaucho and have that space dedicated for the recliner. Still, it's possible.
I'm considering rebuilding the side gaucho to open up into a larger bed for two, and making the front area a dedicated livingroom with the dual recliners. That's for two people, though. If I was soloing the side gaucho would be sufficient as-is and the front would still be converted to a livingroom, but maybe with a desk area or writing table as well, and a single recliner.
The lawn chair idea is a good one if it meets your needs and comfort level. I also have a folding lawn chair which is also a rockingchair and it comes with me where I go.
Have fun, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
I removed the couch and got recliners

I bought my 34' Limited and removed the couch from the front of the salon. My LP tanks are the horizontal kind, so when I removed the couch I found the inverter on the floor and an aluminum enclosure that extended into the salon.

I moved the inverter to the top of this enclosure and built a box around them both. I made a lid that was hinged and I put air holes over the part that covered the inverter to allow air to help disipate the heat generated by the inverter. I made a storage space on the other side. This allowed room for my wifes lifting chair on one side, and I purchased a Flexsteel recliner for myself. We have plenty of room to recline and still have some space behind put to odds and ends. I replaced the carpet with vinyl flooring and Bob's your Uncle. We love our cozy sitting parlor!!!

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
I'm considering purchasing an Airstream for extended trips, basically full-time, just me and my dog. One thing I know about myself - I'm a recliner - and that's not going to change. I'm reclining right now in fact.

I really like the reclining lawn chairs that are available these days. I'm sure I will spend many hours under the awning in one. Kindof my objective, really.

Sometimes the weather or other factors will be problematic - that's why they come with heaters, airconditioners, and window screens I suppose. I'm trying to picture myself reclining in an Airstream.

Here's the thing - I don't see recliners in Airstreams. The only solution I can see is to bring my reclining lawn chair inside at those times. I'm sure some Airstreams have enough open floor space to handle that, SO units for example. I suspect some don't.

How do others meet this need?

-CB-
I don't know how the rest of them handle it, but here's what I did. First I got rid of that god awful thing they call a sofa, and put in two recliners built by Lambright Aluminum Fabricators, in Shipshewana, IN.
I built new storage areas on both sides of the trailer and across the front wall. I do have a fairly good woodworking shop, (this helps).
Pictures below (if I can figure out how to do it).....if you have questions, let me know.
Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream recliner installation 005.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	75782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream recliner installation 004.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	75783  

Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Tami & I have been wanting recliners in our MH. part of the generator box is under the couch. This leaves us with 68" of usable space for the recliners. We can't seem to find a comfortable recliner that is 34" wide (outside measurement). We've come up with a plan B if our search fails. A reclining love seat. We'll have to drive the MH to the furniture store to make sure whatever we purchase fits through the door.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
3 Dog Nite, the Barcalounger Abbey is 29-1/2" wide. It can be set as close as 3-1/2" from a wall. I've set in this chair and it is surprisingly comfortable. It has good leg support and a clever "pop-up" head rest which deploys when you pull the recliner handle. See: Gordons Fireplace Shop:
Old 02-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
We have the 34' with the L couches. If I were to put in a recliner, I would leave the love seat and corner entertainment stand in across the front and take out the long couch on the side which would give me good room for a recliner. The way it is now works well for us. We each take a couch and put a pillow under our feet on the shorter couch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Living34640.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	75799  

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Just looking at my post above, it could work taking the short couch out instead.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I just use a couple of pillows against the wall and lay on one of the two gauchos. I didn't have to remove anything and it cost me nothing (I use the same pillows we use for sleeping) True, I actually have to pick my legs up rather than having that recliner pick them up for me, but I can really use that exercise.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #35
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have been known to bring my walmart lafuma knock-off recliner in on cold evenings and read in it. Its a low tech solution, but it works well enough.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
We have a 06 28' Safari SE and are in the process of adding two Ekorne recliners to the floor plan. We had the factory remove the dinette and cover the exposed wheel well with the same laminate used for the walls. We found a local furniture store that was closing out their stock of Ekorne chairs and picked up two leather models that by measurements will fit. Still a little skeptical it won't be a crowded but I know it will be more comfortable. The dinette is fine for meals but was wasted space for us otherwise.

Right now the chairs are in our living room at home. They are definitely comfortable and I can't wait to get them in the Airstream and try them out. We will be on the road for a few extended trips this summer and expect the "new" setup to be just what we wanted. I will post photos to this thread this spring when we get everything set up.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
This spring came sooner than expected. Made a quick run to LA and TX and decided to take the recliners. Here is the temporary set up. Seems to work well, so far. We do have to move one of them for TV viewing but they are very comfortable and much better than the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	March 09 185.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	76892  
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
I'm considering purchasing an Airstream for extended trips, basically full-time, just me and my dog. One thing I know about myself - I'm a recliner - and that's not going to change. I'm reclining right now in fact.

I really like the reclining lawn chairs that are available these days. I'm sure I will spend many hours under the awning in one. Kindof my objective, really.

Sometimes the weather or other factors will be problematic - that's why they come with heaters, airconditioners, and window screens I suppose. I'm trying to picture myself reclining in an Airstream.

Here's the thing - I don't see recliners in Airstreams. The only solution I can see is to bring my reclining lawn chair inside at those times. I'm sure some Airstreams have enough open floor space to handle that, SO units for example. I suspect some don't.

How do others meet this need?

-CB-
Take the time to check out page three of this thread, you'll see what I did with our 31 foot AS.....The has proven to be a very comfortable arrangement, and I more than doubled the amount of storage as well
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote