Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Cantrell - brilliant idea - do you have any pictures?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrell View Post
We left the couch (gaucho) in the front as is and liked the idea of a couple of recliners but space is always an issue. I went to a local junkyard and bought two front leather wrapped seats out of a 7 year old BMW 3 series for 30 bucks a piece. Removed the seatbelt hardware and built an oak base to put them at a comfortable height. Oak matches our interior woodwork and also gives a little storage beneath. They are very comfortable, recline, don't take up too much space, and the price was right. In the upright position they work very well at the table for eating if you make them the correct height.
Just an idea for you to consider.
Bill
I sure would like to see a picture of your seats....uh, chairs.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
We have a 98 34' which has the wide body. Wide bodies began in 96 I believe and it does provide more comfortable living space. We have a danish recliner with ottoman as well as the sofa. I also recommend a hardwood floor as carpet is hard to maintain. The 34' also includes addtional closet and storage which makes life easier when you spend longer periods of time in them. We would not trade ours for a different model. It tows fantastically with the right TV and hitch(Hensley HaHa). Everyone I know who owns a 34' would not trade it and many people who have bought shorter models have trading for a longer one.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I got my 73 it had a vibrating recliner of sorts. It looked like original equipment. Still worked and had the added advantage of being loud enough to drown out my generator.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
Fell into it. Was at the salvage place getting a few parts for an old Mercedes I was restoring. Saw the BMW (front end looked like it was big tree vs. car--tree won). Seats looked to be in good shape, though. German car seats are basically just wide enough to do the job but very comfortable so made perfect sense to use them in the camper where every inch counts. Probably not for everyone but it works for us.
By the way, if you take a seatbelt mechanism apart, be careful--some parts are under extreme tension and could really hurt you.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You could replace the sofa with a reclining sofa from Flexsteel. They also make other styles of recliners. I believe that these are designed to be able to fit through the doorway.

Flexsteel - Reclining Sofas & Sectionals
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Our Ekornes recliners: http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...00&userid=3264

More photos in Member Photos, Bob Thompson
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Bob, your setup looks pretty ideal. Comfortable, appropriate, high end. Nice.

In many of the Airstreams, the shorter ones in particular, the reclining lawn chair or at least it's footrest would surely have to fit into the space "down the hallway" so to speak. Like in the kitchen area. What's the minimum width of that center passage on these things?

-CB-
Old 02-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Bob, love those recliners, we still have younger kids so we can' t pull up the extra sleeping yet. Would love to put in a pair of those recliners
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We've had them for about 5 years now, but if I had to do it over, I'd go for a more traditional recliner, but in a small format and wall hugger configuration. I have encountered such chairs made by Barcalounger called St. Claire and Abbey (if my memory serves me correctly). We have Flexsteel recliners at home which are more comfortable to me than the Ekornes recliners, so I would us the Flexsteel brand as a place to start my search for suitable recliners.

One plus for the Ekornes chairs is the ottomans can be used as seating when we have guests over.

Here is a link to the Abbey: http://mfg.furniturefan.com/detail.a...ge=1&itemnum=3

This Flexsteel might be small enough: http://www.flexsteel.com/home/produc...dSkuId=2855-50

Possible Flexsteel choices: http://www.flexsteel.com/rvmarine/pr...&childCatId=21
Old 02-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgenrich View Post
Bob, your setup looks pretty ideal. Comfortable, appropriate, high end. Nice.

In many of the Airstreams, the shorter ones in particular, the reclining lawn chair or at least it's footrest would surely have to fit into the space "down the hallway" so to speak. Like in the kitchen area. What's the minimum width of that center passage on these things?

-CB-
The corridor width in my galley is 36". Placing a reclining lawnchair (such as a Lafuma) in the space available would be a pain, in my opinion. Every time you'd want to get up to use the head, you'd have to fold the chair up to move it out of the way in order to clear a path. I think that the solution like what Bob posted above is ideal if you need a recliner. Also, as I posted above, the front gaucho(or side if there's a dinette) could probably be replaced with a Flexsteel reclining sofa without changing the function of the floorplan. I believe that they are wall huggers, so no need to pull it away from the wall.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Hmm. 36". Nice I think. I'll have to measure a chair now. I guess that width is fairly uniform across different models?

I like the idea of the flexsteel wall-hugging recliner sofa type thing, as well as a couple of recliners with an end table between as an alternative.

Still, I would like to believe that the lawn chair option was available to me in an unmodified not-too-large Airstream. Maybe go to more drastic measures eventually if and when.

-CB-
Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Our '64 Safari has room to sit in a recliner in front of the front gaucho but it would be much easier to get rid of the gaucho and have that space dedicated for the recliner. Still, it's possible.
I'm considering rebuilding the side gaucho to open up into a larger bed for two, and making the front area a dedicated livingroom with the dual recliners. That's for two people, though. If I was soloing the side gaucho would be sufficient as-is and the front would still be converted to a livingroom, but maybe with a desk area or writing table as well, and a single recliner.
The lawn chair idea is a good one if it meets your needs and comfort level. I also have a folding lawn chair which is also a rockingchair and it comes with me where I go.
Have fun, Rich
Old 02-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
I removed the couch and got recliners

I bought my 34' Limited and removed the couch from the front of the salon. My LP tanks are the horizontal kind, so when I removed the couch I found the inverter on the floor and an aluminum enclosure that extended into the salon.

I moved the inverter to the top of this enclosure and built a box around them both. I made a lid that was hinged and I put air holes over the part that covered the inverter to allow air to help disipate the heat generated by the inverter. I made a storage space on the other side. This allowed room for my wifes lifting chair on one side, and I purchased a Flexsteel recliner for myself. We have plenty of room to recline and still have some space behind put to odds and ends. I replaced the carpet with vinyl flooring and Bob's your Uncle. We love our cozy sitting parlor!!!

Regards,

Reganzo