2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
excuse # 27---Pieman

Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
Curt, I full timed about 5 years and still travel in my moho for months at a time. When full timing, I had a 34' tag along. I have never looked back.

I'm now 65 and have a home base in florida in a 55+ park in the Ocala National Forest on Little Lake Kerr. I have the best of both worlds. I can leave in the moho and not worry about the security of the home base. When I'm in the home port, there is plenty of storage for the moho and boat.

Of course, the big reward of full timing is the people. It's a group of commrades that have pretty much overcome class distinction. A group well know for a collection of skills that can solve most any problem and are ready to do it. A group ready to have a cookout most every night.

The only cautions I would give to you is don't work so much you never smell the flowers and if camping public lands, stay with a group.

Good luck

Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Our Dream Too

My dream is also fulltiming(at a young age-not waiting til my social security days). My ideas on how to do it changed after reading "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominquez and Vicki Robin. I realize that I can live frugally and invest the rest so that I can have "enough" to be financially independent and not have to work everyday. The book was written in the '60s so some updating must be done to address more current financial issues. My hubby and I sold the house and live in our Airstream now. It has reduced our living expenses considerably so that we will have the AS paid for while accumulating the funds to live independently. Both of us are happy and don't need alot of stuff to prove who we are. The book certainly gave us alot of focus on acheiving our goal and makes one realize that hitting the lottery is not necessary. Just a having a plan, self discipline and perserverance is all that is required. One thing to look into is an HSA(health savings account.) Not having insurance is very risky-you never know. An HSA lowers insurance premiums and if you don't use the deductible(the savings account part) , it just sits in an account and grows. Good luck and keep us updated.
P.S- We have no doubts about living in a small space together-about 13 yrs. ago realized we could make more $$ driving a truck, and have been teaming all this time- of course the AS seems huge when we go home.
2006 34' Classic LTD
2010 Ford F250 PSD
Hensley Arrow Hitch
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California

A looooooooong time ago we put all our eggs in one basket. Bought a different home, but everything was essentially paid for and we quit working. It was great. I highly recommend it! But, we were younger and didn't think of medical bills and all that.... oops, then I got a surprise. Pregnant.

We eventually left our carefree life style and went back to work to be responsible parents, we never regretted dropping out for a while.

Now that we are older and are retired.... nothing could be better! Kids are grown... we have an airstream.... still have a permanent home and glad. Someday we won't be able to hook up and take off, so we have a place to be when that time comes.

You are right. Only you can decide. Lots of stories out there about what folks have done or wish they had done. No matter what you do, live your life to the fullest. Don't be one of those who sit around in their rocking chair thinking "I wish I would have..."

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Smile Full Timing

If I understand correctly you are considering a *NEW* Airstream? Why not buy someone's almost perfect "used" one and save fifty thousand dollars. That would take care of a lot of cushion. Or a hundred plus thousand if you are going to finance it? Don't buy a fixer-upper or a "vintage" project but one someone else has fixed up. Well, that's an idea, anyway. Smile. You can get SO much more house if you don't have to take the initial depreciation. Think about it and ask here for other's advice. I saw one poster on this very thread that has a 32 footer who said he wishes he had a 34 with dinette. Buy his. Offer him top dollar for it and put the 75 thou difference in savings.

Also, when it's all said and done, the hardest and most important question to answer, and the one that most people are too nice to mention directly, is what will it do to your relationship. That's the difficult thing to answer. Try it out. Go camping in bad weather. Be brutally honest with yourself/partner.

And are you thick-skinned? You can have a million bucks in the bank and have a wonderful life, but many, if not most, people who are slaves to their possessions and employment will still consider you "trailer trash." Probably some of your relatives too.

The question I asked myself was if I would regret it if I got to the end and had not tried it, but had continued to stay tied down. Still, after three years of full-timing I decided I needed a permanent base. I bought this farm where I am now on a lake between LA and TX, restored the house, spent enough on the fixings to buy two new AS's and have thoroughly enjoyed having three barns and a huge house for all the stuff I wanted to buy. Now I'm just waiting for a few more weeks to hit the road in the AS again. Will I sell the house? NO! I want to have a place to come park if I want to. If I do come back it will be in the Spring and/or Fall, and I'll park my AS at my own spot and probably still sleep in it here.

It's your life, and you just get one. (Well, as far as we know.) And the older you get, the more you will realize that it's very short.

Best of wishes whatever you decide. Remember it doesn't necessarily have to be an all or nothing sort of thing.

Waynon is offline   Reply With Quote