Old 06-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Kids? I would think they could make it a bit more difficult to be footloose & fancy free ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

none , none
No kids -- and zero desire to ever have any! We have considered a toy poodle, but right now all we want is a pet Airstream...

The ordinary suburban life of the average American (complete with children, 9-5 job, and trips to Wal-Mart) has just never appealed to us. What does appeal to us about being on the road is the ability to support ourselves by freelancing (we are both published writers, but the high cost of living in Seattle has made it difficult for us to feel comfortable enough to drop the safety net of fulltime jobs and benefits and risk striking out on our own), while also satisfying our desire to explore new places and experiences. We've always had a strong sense of wanderlust; but prior to the new* Airstreams never had such an appealing way of satisfying it!

~Melissa (Curt's wife)

*We've had several vintage cars -- and while we love the aesthetic, do not enjoy the constant maintenance. If we plan on putting on miles, we want to do it in something that we know will make it from Point A to Point B -- and beyond! (Although, we both salivate over all the beautiful refinished airstreams!) And, being unapologetic hipsters and mid-century design freaks, the average rv just wouldn't do!

Old 06-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Mid Century Design

Yep, I know just what you mean. There are some nice SOB's out there, but ye gods, the Airstream tows so easily. I'm even learning to back up. For me, figuring out that the real magic trick is to get the trailer wheels pointed in the right direction then think about the truck as following the trailer in... Straighten up the truck wheels as soon as the trailer is pointed where it should be.. MINOR adjustments only.

With your careers I've got only one question.... why are you waiting a year? What's wrong with next week?

Seriously, do what is right for you, but you CAN finance a new A/S and be on the road for 11 months while you're working out your "plan"...

Aluminitis! It's contageous!

Have fun, Paula
Old 06-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #18
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
My current neighbors in the RV park just got back from spending three years on the road. They crossed the U.S. three times and took it up to Alaska and back. Now they're home, the trailer is for sale, and they're building a house.

I guess they got the RV'ing out of the systems.

Anyway, the point is it's not permanent, necessarily, unless you decide to sink a half-million into a rolling barge of all-the-comforts of home diesel pusher. If you get home later after three years with one of those, you may not be able to afford to start a new home.

Just something to think about.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

none , none
Hi Paula:

Thanks for your reply. You asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
With your careers I've got only one question.... why are you waiting a year? What's wrong with next week?
We both would love to start tomorrow! However, our current reasons for waiting a year have to do primarily with a health issue (I am currently undergoing therapy that will last for another 9 months) and the fact that we want to consider this idea as carefully as possible.

The last part of my statement includes our continuing to do much research into every aspect of going full-time, including a consideration of all of the things that we would need to do logistically in order to make the transition as seamless and painless as possible.

Curt
Old 06-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Los Osos , California
Another tale...

My cousin, a Wharton MBA with a BIG job, and his wife, a high powered attorney (a nice one) with an equally big job, cashed it all in and took their two kids to sail around the world in their sailboat. The original plan was to sail for a year which eventually turned into three years. They are returning home this summer.

Their stories of the places they've seen and people they've met are incredible. We heard all the stories via e-mail. They have also met with a number of very challenging situations along the way. But they are calm, roll with the punches type people which is essential. It's important to be able to handle all kinds of upsets and be able to carry on with a smile. And not to be in a hurry while you sit for weeks waiting for a part.

The other part to their story (which I believe is like full timing in our land boats though perhaps even more complicated) is that they kept their house and rented it out. They will have somewhere to return to. Whether they stay there remains to be seen. They haven't regretted their decision for a minute.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Also...I would definitely try it out. Take a trip for a month and then come home and discuss it.

I have traveled a lot and it is true, there are some things that sound more romantic and exciting on paper than they actually are. But then there are those other things that just take your breath away...
Old 06-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Helps with big decisions

Take loved one to special location, provide favorite (adult?) beverage, hold hands, listen to this song played loudly (tandem headphones?)
100 Years by Five for Fighting

Let us know if that helps.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
That song always helps me...(warm fuzzy smile)
Old 06-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #24
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Back in the early/mid Eighties I spent the better part of 3 years living in a cabover camper up in Anchorage. Camper was mounted on the back of a 1948 Diamond T truck along with my welder and torches and tools. Kind of lived like a troglodyte then - no credit or phone, few taxes, almost off the grid.
Had a home base in Mt. View where I had access to a nearby bathroom and enough 110v power in the camper to run a 60 watt bulb. The Aqua blue, 3 burner stove, Dometic Fridge, and heater all functioned perfectly on propane only. Wasn't much of a listener to music and never owned a tv till years after I returned to MN. No computers then. 60 watts was plenty.
Most of my time I stayed in Mt. View, going to to other places like Eagle River, Wasilla, once to Homa, and here and there where I worked. Was a mobile, if not traveling, welding service.
Sometimes I was chagrined to see how little I owned. People I knew had so much more of everything.
Dunno.
I came back and started getting stuff. And now have a pretty large pile.
Don't think it's enough to retire on yet. So I'm still carrying it along through life. Sometimes I grow weary of having it.
When I do, I look back at that time in Anchorage. It was a cool old camper.
Nice Birch interior and cleverly sculpted niches and cabinets for storage.
I could haul most every thing I owned on the back of a 2 ton truck.
I made simple, wholesome meals. I read a lot of great books under that bulb.
And I met people who influenced me. In a hundred large and small ways. Perhaps because I had time to let them.
It was simple. Free of clutter.
I suppose we're never truely grateful for what we have.
But I am grateful for having lived that way.
For a little while at least. And I sure wouldn't trade the experience for the aquisitions that my frends made in that same time.
Be nice to live that simply again. Somehow. If you could.
There'd be so much to part with...
Old 08-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Merrimakc , New Hampshire
Full Timing not just for Old Timers

It sounds like you and your misses are both financially stable and able to do your thing from the road and you have health insurance to cover your bases. If you are really worried about losing the house, do what my aunt does and just rent it out (If that falls into your condo agreement) and let it pay for itself while you live on the cheap and hopefully live a life of wild luxuries with excessive spending money for rich pasteries and decadent chocolates. It sounds like you're just looking for permission to follow your tiki dream and I say yay.

I am going full time myself next month with my girlfriend Kelly and my cat and rabbit. I'm 25 and Kelly is 28 and we own a 25ft 72 Tradewind. We have been living in LA and NY and working pretty unfulfilling jobs to pay for our airstream-sized apartments and I haven't had health insurance in over 4 years. So to me full timing offers a pretty huge relief from the work all day to pay insane rent/mortgage prices. The only housing bubble I am interested in getting in is a silver aluminum one.

Hit the road and enjoy it before the global warming causes your TV engine to permanently overheat.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Ultra-----write a book!!!-----------pieman
Old 08-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote---"The middle class, ordinary citizen part of me says stay hitched to the wagon and keep on pulling it day after day because eventually we will get to the top of the hill and will have "won the game" in that we will have more of a guarantee of financial security many years from now."

Curt--this is an ASSUMPTION most of us. Reading the obituaries this morning I find a friend of mine stopped pulling at 50 years old.
We're
Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote---"The middle class, ordinary citizen part of me says stay hitched to the wagon and keep on pulling it day after day because eventually we will get to the top of the hill and will have "won the game" in that we will have more of a guarantee of financial security many years from now."

Curt--this is an ASSUMPTION most of us have. Reading the obituaries this morning I find a friend of mine stopped "pulling" at 50 years old.
We're "Fulltimers in Process". Over the past 4 years, I retired--sold our home and all our stuff--moved into a little apt.--wife retired--spent 4 1/2 months traveling and campground hosting. WE don't ASUME anything but Lord willing, come spring, if my name isn't in the obituary, we're outa here for as long as our health permits or as long as we enjoy it. Don't have much--need much--want much-----Pieman