Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
Question - floor plan for fulltiming?

Greetings...Listen i don't have an Airstream, but i am contemplating a purchase and planning to live in it full time....So i have a question for those of you who have them....Here goes.
From looking at Airstreams websites i've seen many floor plans. Now i know that they come with T.V. are these T.V's cable?
What do you do when your water for showers, and so forth runs out? Where do you get more while on the road?
Security of the door? How secure is it when away? Do you guys have an alarm system?
I was looking at the Siera in either the 23 or 25 model? what's your opinion?
NYPANAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi. Have fun looking, they are all terrific.

TVs are cable or antenna and entertainment packge has dvd player too.

You need to let water out too so you need to find a dump station at a campgrounds is the easiest to find, you need not stay to use their facilities but may be a charge to empty your tanks and then you can refill your water. You can find water a lot of places and run your hose to their spigot or fill from carry containers.

23' Safaris would be great for a 1/2 ton truck, and 25' would be better with 3/4 ton but 1/2 will do. Better get the 25' for fulltiming, larger holding tanks and wider body and more storage and walk around room.

Good luck.

I forgot, door is very secure with two locks, you'll be zipped up safe. When you are away, it'll be as safe as the place you leave it in is. Just like houses and vehicles they can be broken into.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Before investing big money, you need to know what the RV living experience is like and whether it is for you. It is quite different than anything else and you have to be a minunalist. Rent a trailer for a week's vacation and try it out. Trailers are best used in warmer climates. Setting still, couped up in 200 square feet in the snow can be a drag. Full timing is best experienced by full time travelers who enjoy a variety of outdoor experiences. Read a few blog like Airstream Life. Here is the link. Tour of America

This will be a complete change to your life experience.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
You mentioned renting a trailer..Typically how much does this usually cost?
And you mentioned that trailers are best used in warmer climates. Does this mean that it's not good in cooler climates?
I thought the whole purpose of having a trailer, was to be able to travel whenever the weather changes/snowing?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I thought the whole purpose of having a trailer, was to be able to travel whenever the weather changes/snowing?
Yes, this is a great idea - Hook up and tow to a warmer climate.
There are some things you can do to "survive" moderately cold climates, but you have limits. Things freeze, like your water supply hose, your sewer drain hose, etc. Once again, there are heating devices that you can apply to these to minimize freezing.
If you are going to fulltime, I would suggest following the warm weather.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Fulltiming sounds like it would be a quantum shift into the unknown for you. Walk before you run. I'd recommend attending a rally somewhere near you to kick some Airstream tires and hear various experiences -- you'd be welcomed even in a tent.

Water? Waste? Doing is learning. Google RV rental and you'll see all sorts of possibilities. I see these guys mostly with Class C's all over the lower 48 & Alaska. Trailer rental is a possibility from an SOB RV dealer near you -- setting up one of your vehicles to tow makes this a complex proposition. Airstream rentals -- I've heard of one place in California -- might be a tall order. Learn to back in a quiet large parking lot near home... But try it out for a short trip, live and learn the systems, dumping tanks, etc. SOB RVs and Airstreams share a lot of common industry systems.

First step - tiptoe in.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
Thanks for the advice......It appears that this trailering thing is not so easy, There appears to be a science to this....here i thought you got and went on your way.....Tell me this though, it has to be way cheaper than living in a conventional house, right?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPANAMA
....Tell me this though, it has to be way cheaper than living in a conventional house, right?
hi nyp' and welcome to the forums....

here we go again, (it's ok just keep asking and daydreaming)

with the weekly "buy an a/s and live cheaply somewhere do it yourself guide"

dreamn' of streamn' is fun and some times dreams come true...

so read on...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ing-39724.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...and-36068.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...new-32343.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...eed-31784.html

the issues of "simple" and "cost" are covered some inside the threads (n links) above....

on a more practical approach to this issue IGNORE the a/s aspect for awhile...

and find one of the many books on living full time in an rv, rv budgets and so on...

after reading some of those books and seeing a clearer picture of the financial side of the rv lifestyle...

just TRIPLE whatever they suggest for the cost of the actual RV...

which is roughly what doing it in an a/s will mean.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
I'll read the links, but can you tell me from your personal opinion, whether or not its cheaper to live in one of these?
Also, i think everyone of these Airstreams i've seen are either stainless steel or aluminum on the outside..How does that effect the overall interior during hot summer months?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Unfortunately, it's not a simple Q & A...

Quote:
I'll read the links, but can you tell me from your personal opinion, whether or not its cheaper to live in one of these?
Cheaper than what? Aptartment, Condo, house or ??? Staying put or traveling? Work or vacationing/retired? Boondocking in a field, staying in State Parks or private campgrounds? Your food & general living expenses don't vary. Your gas may if you travel. Your "rent"...depends on where you stay and what you have now? Insurance, utilities...most likely big changes.
Quote:
Also, i think everyone of these Airstreams i've seen are either stainless steel or aluminum on the outside..How does that effect the overall interior during hot summer months?
99% of the Airtream trailers are aluminum...some (vintage Argosys) are painted aluminum. Late model motorhomes are fiberglass. Temps are controlled by heat & A/C...however the extremes can be felt.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
_

. , .
insideout has given u the correct answer, which is

yesandno

Quote:
I'll read the links, but can you tell me from your personal opinion...
my personal opinion is READ THE LINKS FIRST, buy one of the rv'n books and THEN ask your question...

b4 we play forum hopscotch.

or consider THIS ONE POST question and answer which clearly may apply in this case...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/256515-post46.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Hi and Welcpme to the forums. I am not a "Fulltimer" but in my opinion, living in an RV would be substantually cheaper than living in a house. In Tn, there are several RV parks that range from $2000 to $2500 per yr. You pay the electric. Comparing that to $600 to $1500 a month for a house plus all the upkeep, I would say RV'ing is a lot cheaper. Traveling to different parks may be a lot different as you will either pay by the week or night depending on your length of stay, fuel, etc.. that could add up. Im sure you will hear from some of the real fulltimers here shortly. They can answer your questions more thouroughly. Good luck on your venture! I hope to one day call myself a Fulltimer also!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fulltiming myself

I notice from your avatar that you are living in COLUMBIA Maryland. Anywhere near Washington DC is hugely expensive to live, so that will have a big effect on your cost comparison.

If you want to look at New Airstreams - Colonial Airstream #1 Volume Airstream Dealership 3 years in a Row, New Jersey RV is a great place to view inside and outside units. From Columbia you could actually drive there without too much trouble. They have more in stock than Safford RV which is on the east side of I-95 just south of Fredericksburg VA. There is also the Cherry Blossom Rally coming up soon which you could drop in on for a day. Looking at floor plan layouts is interesting but until you sit in the dinette (if there is one), try out the shower and toilet for size, and the bed for comfort - you're not going to get a good idea of what you'll be comfortable with. OH and BTW, buy bigger! I upsized after a year, and am tempted to do it one more time to a 27 FB.

If you plan to stay in the DC area, you'll need to research costs at local campgrounds there (I'm betting you won't like it because DC is a big tourist area and the summer rates probably go through the ceiling! RV campground rates do tend to follow the patterns of hotel rates - though not quite as high.

If you're retired or work from home, then you can travel and find the least expensive sites to stay and visit, BUT towing is expensive - gas at $3.00 to $4.00 per gallon and likely to be an ever increasing cost. Good tow vehicles are NOT small or compact vehicles. I've got a 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado diesel if that gives you a clue. (As an ignorant newbie I envisioned towing an Airstream with a Lexus RX-300 - until I found out that it could tow about 1500 lbs, which would be a jet ski or small sailboat!)

Don't think you can just park on the street or in a Walmart for long periods of time. There is a big difference between "money spending tourist living the RV lifestyle" and "homeless person who still has a car and a crappy trailer". Law enforcement officials WILL accost you if you spend more than an overnight in most parking lots.

Also don't imagine that you can buy land and live on it without consulting the local zoning laws first. The zoning police tend to be everywhere and if you don't have LOTS of land (5-10 acres at least) you're likely to tick off the neighbors who will report you.

As a fulltimer I'll tell you it isn't for everyone. Claustrophobia? Living in an RV can bring that out in a person. Nasty weather and feeling stuck inside can be depressing. BUT if you do want a positive experience it is up to YOU to make it one. Grilling bacon outside on a weekend morning and offering fresh coffee from a French press, and putting a big smile on your face will make you the pied piper of most campgrounds! Campers are friendly IF you make an effort to be friendly to them.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
alot of valuable insight...anyone with feedback on the topic, please feel free to post...i want to read it all, and learn as much as possible...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
GO FOR IT! if it doesn't work out for you, you can sell it and move on. buy used.
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
What's a good place to look for used RV Trailer? is there a magazine dedicated just too these types of vehicles?
another thing, i don't think anyone fully answered this question yet, so i'll ask it again...with the trailers being either aluminum or stainless steel, does it get extremely hot in the summer time? Does the equipped AC keep the interior cool enough?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
What's a good place to look for used RV Trailer?
airforums classified, ebay, airstream.net, rvtrader.com, craigslist.com, then all of your local sources.
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
What's a good place to look for used RV Trailer? is there a magazine dedicated just too these types of vehicles?
another thing, i don't think anyone fully answered this question yet, so i'll ask it again...with the trailers being either aluminum or stainless steel, does it get extremely hot in the summer time? Does the equipped AC keep the interior cool enough?
Not a big chrome Airstream as FastBall sings it, nor stainless, but aluminum! Extremes of heat (or cold) will affect the interior temperatures. Much enters through the windows and sky lights. Don't go less than a 13,500 ac for a small Airstream. The awnings help keep the temperature down and keep the sun off the refrigerator. It only gets extremely hot without AC. The AC will keep it comfortable inside.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Hiya NYPANAMA...

We too are prepairing to fulltime it. My wife and I have been researching this form of lifestyle for about 1.5 years now and I can actually say this is gonna be the grooviest adventure my wife and I have ever taken upon ourselves!

FIRST: Prepair yourself mentally for the journey. Know that you will have obsticals to overcome while living in the Airstream fulltime.

SECOND: Read, Read and then Read some more! know what type and year Airstream you are purchasing, make sure ALL your systems are in tip-top shape, and most of all Read all that you read... AGAIN...

THIRD: Begin to shop around for the Airstream of your dreams. Once you find that perfect one that matches your personality, BUY IT.

FOURTH: Once you pay your Airstream off (New or Old) begin restoration and or repairs. You want your rig to be at its best prior to moving into her. She will be your new home, so treat it as if you just bought a new house and fit her to your liking.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Shop around when you are looking at places to park her. When you are full timing you want contingancy plans for contingancy plans... don't rule out any scenario and remember - If something can go wrong it will.

Now a little about where we are at and what stage we are in at the moment. We just purchased a beautiful shinney 1978 Airstream Sovereign form the AirClassifieds.com and absolutely love it! We paid $5,800 which I thought was a great price due to the condition of the rig. It is in move in condition with a clean bill of health from Jackson Center (The Airstream Manufacturer) - The couple we purchased it from fixed most everything that needed fixing and even shinned her up for us! how cool is that.

We are to pick our airstream up at the end of July and have planned a Rally here in our hometown of Gatlinburg Tennessee to try her out and get advice from some of the Airstreamers who have been in the circle for quite some time. That input on our airstream will help immensly when it comes to prepairing our shinney tube for fulltiming.

We have picked out 2 primo parks here in town to full time it in and have 4 others in the close vacinity to move to for variety.

One of the parks we will be fulltiming it in will run us $350 per month and that includes our electric and water hookups. The park has a dump station that is free for park members.

The other park is a little further up in the mountains and has a pool, jacuzzie, sauna and pond stocked with fish. The owner of the lot in this RV Park is going to rent to us for 6 month blocks at $2500 for the full 6 months. This park also has electric and water but also has the convieniance of digital cable and internet included.

The moral of the story... Do your homework in the areas you want to fulltime it in...

If you plan on working as I do, you may want to get out and meet some of the park owners and if you get to know them good enough they may cut you a deal. Who knows anything is possible.

Excitement... We have tried to curb our excitement for doing this, yet it must have shone through because some freinds of ours here locally are going to purchase an airstream and fulltime it with us.

If you can find a counterpart to park next to you it will make your life easier and make the journey more fun as well. That way when stuff goes wrong, and it will... you at least have someone you can trust within 20 feet of you.

Hope this helps and if you want to join us at our Rally this August come on down!

Go to: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...way-40186.html

and read a little about it, you are welcome to rent one of the RV parks tent sites and join us .. they have about 25 tent sites and 90 or so RV sites with hookups.

Good luck in your adventure, look us up if your ever in the area (Gatlinburg Tennessee)
greg_n_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Since your in the DC area, why not come to the Cherry Blossom Rally next month in Upper Marlboro. Saturday afternoon is the open house. You'll get a chance to see a variety of airstreams and more than likely there will be one or more fulltimers attending.

Here's the link:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...8-a-39702.html
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote