Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
GO FOR IT! if it doesn't work out for you, you can sell it and move on. buy used.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
COLUMBIA , Maryland
What's a good place to look for used RV Trailer? is there a magazine dedicated just too these types of vehicles?
another thing, i don't think anyone fully answered this question yet, so i'll ask it again...with the trailers being either aluminum or stainless steel, does it get extremely hot in the summer time? Does the equipped AC keep the interior cool enough?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPANAMA
What's a good place to look for used RV Trailer?
airforums classified, ebay, airstream.net, rvtrader.com, craigslist.com, then all of your local sources.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPANAMA
What's a good place to look for used RV Trailer? is there a magazine dedicated just too these types of vehicles?
another thing, i don't think anyone fully answered this question yet, so i'll ask it again...with the trailers being either aluminum or stainless steel, does it get extremely hot in the summer time? Does the equipped AC keep the interior cool enough?
Not a big chrome Airstream as FastBall sings it, nor stainless, but aluminum! Extremes of heat (or cold) will affect the interior temperatures. Much enters through the windows and sky lights. Don't go less than a 13,500 ac for a small Airstream. The awnings help keep the temperature down and keep the sun off the refrigerator. It only gets extremely hot without AC. The AC will keep it comfortable inside.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Hiya NYPANAMA...

We too are prepairing to fulltime it. My wife and I have been researching this form of lifestyle for about 1.5 years now and I can actually say this is gonna be the grooviest adventure my wife and I have ever taken upon ourselves!

FIRST: Prepair yourself mentally for the journey. Know that you will have obsticals to overcome while living in the Airstream fulltime.

SECOND: Read, Read and then Read some more! know what type and year Airstream you are purchasing, make sure ALL your systems are in tip-top shape, and most of all Read all that you read... AGAIN...

THIRD: Begin to shop around for the Airstream of your dreams. Once you find that perfect one that matches your personality, BUY IT.

FOURTH: Once you pay your Airstream off (New or Old) begin restoration and or repairs. You want your rig to be at its best prior to moving into her. She will be your new home, so treat it as if you just bought a new house and fit her to your liking.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Shop around when you are looking at places to park her. When you are full timing you want contingancy plans for contingancy plans... don't rule out any scenario and remember - If something can go wrong it will.

Now a little about where we are at and what stage we are in at the moment. We just purchased a beautiful shinney 1978 Airstream Sovereign form the AirClassifieds.com and absolutely love it! We paid $5,800 which I thought was a great price due to the condition of the rig. It is in move in condition with a clean bill of health from Jackson Center (The Airstream Manufacturer) - The couple we purchased it from fixed most everything that needed fixing and even shinned her up for us! how cool is that.

We are to pick our airstream up at the end of July and have planned a Rally here in our hometown of Gatlinburg Tennessee to try her out and get advice from some of the Airstreamers who have been in the circle for quite some time. That input on our airstream will help immensly when it comes to prepairing our shinney tube for fulltiming.

We have picked out 2 primo parks here in town to full time it in and have 4 others in the close vacinity to move to for variety.

One of the parks we will be fulltiming it in will run us $350 per month and that includes our electric and water hookups. The park has a dump station that is free for park members.

The other park is a little further up in the mountains and has a pool, jacuzzie, sauna and pond stocked with fish. The owner of the lot in this RV Park is going to rent to us for 6 month blocks at $2500 for the full 6 months. This park also has electric and water but also has the convieniance of digital cable and internet included.

The moral of the story... Do your homework in the areas you want to fulltime it in...

If you plan on working as I do, you may want to get out and meet some of the park owners and if you get to know them good enough they may cut you a deal. Who knows anything is possible.

Excitement... We have tried to curb our excitement for doing this, yet it must have shone through because some freinds of ours here locally are going to purchase an airstream and fulltime it with us.

If you can find a counterpart to park next to you it will make your life easier and make the journey more fun as well. That way when stuff goes wrong, and it will... you at least have someone you can trust within 20 feet of you.

Hope this helps and if you want to join us at our Rally this August come on down!

Go to: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...way-40186.html

and read a little about it, you are welcome to rent one of the RV parks tent sites and join us .. they have about 25 tent sites and 90 or so RV sites with hookups.

Good luck in your adventure, look us up if your ever in the area (Gatlinburg Tennessee)
Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Since your in the DC area, why not come to the Cherry Blossom Rally next month in Upper Marlboro. Saturday afternoon is the open house. You'll get a chance to see a variety of airstreams and more than likely there will be one or more fulltimers attending.

Here's the link:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...8-a-39702.html
Old 04-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I'm also in the planning to buy and full-time stage after retiring from teaching in three years. I rent my home, and often am asked to respond to the "Why don't you buy a place? You're wasting your money on rent" question. I think my stock response is applicable to the question of inexpensive living in an Airstream as well. There are alot of hidden costs associated with home ownership that often don't make it to the credit/debit sheet. Home ownership is said to be a good investment, but not always........look at today's market. Lawn tools and maintenance alone is one cost that full-timers can obviously skip. My former ladyfriend lives in a spiffy neighborhood and uses Chemlawn and an in-ground irrigation system to keep her yard looking as nice as those of the neighbors at the tune of several thousand dollars/year. While working part-time at Lowe's, I never ceased to be amazed by the expense and time allotted to growing grass only so it could be then cut down as soon as possible after growing an inch or so. The Greek gods couldn't have given Sisyphus a more odious punishment. The cost of a new roof, driveway, real estate taxes, and the list goes on and on. Being a renter or a renter or full-timer saves one much of the aggravation and expense of home ownership while offering the flexibility to pack up and go when desired. As others have mentioned, living in a small space and common sense will preclude a lifestyle of acquisition. My hope is to purchase a 25' Safari for myself, use it for weekend and extended vacations until I retire and then spend summers in New England and winters on a beach doing environmental volunteer work such as with the Student Conservation Association.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
late-model floor plans

Is there a source for late model Airstream floorplans? 2000 and later, especially 2004 and later. I know there aren't huge changes from year to year, but I'd really like to see what past years have that the newer models might not. I've done a thorough search both here and on Google. Vintage plans I can find, but recent ones seem to be a mystery. Airstream only has their current fleet year's plans on their site.

I ask because I'm torn between buying a more recent unit in a few years or finding an older, lighter model, gutting and renovating it(I do realize how much work and expense that is). So far the 2008 floor plans, while nifty, aren't quite what I'm looking for. I do really like some of the 23' and 25' models, but fear that they're just going to be to small for us fulltime. We're both experienced with this kind of living, so it won't be a big shocker.

As it stands now, it'll be two people, a big dog and three cats fulltiming for thirteen weeks at a time at an RV park, with side trips/boondocking for a week or two between assignments. Therefore I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of mobility/low weight for more storage and a bit more space, although we're not interested in towing a 34'. I'm looking for the more recent floor plans to see if what I want IS out there, or if I should just start planning now to buy an older, lighter Airstream, gut and customize it for our lifestyle.

I've looked at other brands of trailers over the past few years (very sure that I don't want a motorhome) but Airstream is it. I would like a longer trailer (27' to 30'), but don't need a big fridge, long useless bench-couch with no arms, full dinette, and teeny tiny bits of closet space. I'd much rather have no dinette or a two-person setup, a little desk, comfy couch, smaller fridge and more storage. Floor space is a bonus, but we really need a spot for the litter box that isn't in the shower. FB or not doesn't matter, but the mid-bed setup isn't so hot for us, as I'll often be working nights--bed needs to be at one end or the other. Kitchen counter space is good, but I'd be fine with a flip-up counter and cutting board sink/stove covers, too. I do love the rounded kitchen sink in some of the newer models. I love the look of the Safaris, future Flying Clouds and the CCDs, but am not in love with (read: don't want to pay for) the wood cabinets of the Classics, although the longer lengths are very nice.

Anyone have any suggestions? Honestly, I'd prefer to buy newish rather than renovate, and have a few years before I'd purchase if that were the case, so even the 2009 models are in the running. I'd rather renovate than live with multiple big features that I don't need/want, though (like the dinette/couch set up in almost every new A/S over 25'). Decisions decisions! If I'm going to renovate, I need to be more proactive in searching for a project and learning about said project, figuring out what would have to be hired out and what I could do, etc.

So I'm starting with floor plans.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tiny spot on the map , Michigan
Ironically, the smaller units have more of the features that I'm looking for, except for storage and spot for litter box (under dinette is one option). 25' and bigger doesn't have much more storage, but starts throwing in stuff that we don't want or need. There's a 20' Safari SE that would be PERFECT if we could stretch it two or three more feet and add pure storage in that space (with a floor-level litter box cabinet!), and replace the dinette with a couch and pull-out TV tray-type table. Colonial Airstream NJ - 2008 Airstream Safari SE 20'
Likewise, this 2005 22' International would be spiffy if it only had more storage space--LOVE the little desk! Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - 2005 22' International CCD - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

This is why I'd like to get my hands on the floorplans for previous years, so we can say, "Okay, this and this have what we're looking for, we'll keep our eyes open for when one of those comes available."

We'll be getting some kind of screen room setup to increase our living space, but that obviously won't always be usable. We're going to do our best to stay in warm areas in winter and cool areas in summer. Not having a behemoth TV would be a plus, but the trailer is far more a priority than the choice of TV at this point--we'll get what works with the trailer that we choose. DBF would very much prefer to buy a newer used model than to renovate. Modding is also an option.

ETA: How sturdy are those dinettes-into-couch/beds? Could it hold two moderately-trim six-foot adults and a 85# dog? I like the convertibility of it, but have visions of the middle crashing down while we're all watching TV.