Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by connorsa View Post
Ok, well I bought her today. I have been looking for 2 years. I needed it in California by August 15th. Evidentally the sales tax is necessary to transfer title. It will be licensed in Calif as a non-op vehicle because I'm not driving it there, it will sit in a RV park for 10 months.

I will get a temp tag to tow her home to Colorado and get her licensed here, with no sales tax due at home as I already paid it. I don't see any way around this.

Plus they are storing it for me for free for 1 1/2 months and delivering it to me and setting it up all as part of the price. It seems fair. Plus they let me put a quarter of the purchase price on my credit card to get miles. (Their storing fee is $ 125/mo, the going rate for a 600 miles tow is $ 780 and the set up, I don't know. But it all worth it to me.
My California trailer registration renewals specifically state that you can not obtain an non operating registration for a trailer. Non operating registration is for motor vehicles only.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #22
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
And CA will collect a registration fee plus penalty for ever year it was lapsed when you try to register it again, even if you are a new owner.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
My Arizona plate is due the end of this month. It's going to be $78.44 for the next two years, but that includes $25 per year for my Special Plate. Keep an eye out for "75 AIR".
Cool, Richard. I'll keep an eye out for that plate. I might have to get one, too, eventually.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Ok, well I bought her today. I have been looking for 2 years. I needed it in California by August 15th. Evidentally the sales tax is necessary to transfer title. It will be licensed in Calif as a non-op vehicle because I'm not driving it there, it will sit in a RV park for 10 months.

I will get a temp tag to tow her home to Colorado and get her licensed here, with no sales tax due at home as I already paid it. I don't see any way around this.

Plus they are storing it for me for free for 1 1/2 months and delivering it to me and setting it up all as part of the price. It seems fair. Plus they let me put a quarter of the purchase price on my credit card to get miles. (Their storing fee is $ 125/mo, the going rate for a 600 miles tow is $ 780 and the set up, I don't know. But it all worth it to me.
Hi, you are paying California sales tax because you are leaving the trailer in California, not because of the title. As mentioned in another post, [post #21] California won't permit non-use on a travel trailer; This is stated on my renewal form I just received for my trailer. Also California wants it registered at the home, trailer park, or storage lot where the trailer will actually be parked. I think I saw this trailer in Irvine. Had I known that a forum member was buying it, I would have taken a better look at it. Anyhow enjoy it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Ok, well I bought her today. I have been looking for 2 years. I needed it in California by August 15th.
Hey, I missed this! Congratulations!!

I'm sure you will be deliriously happy with it, it is a beautiful trailer!

Here are the photos, in case anyone missed it:
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #26
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Well in Ontario, you only ever buy one plate for a trailer, and once you put it on, that's the end of any fees. No annual renewal.
I think a new provincial motto is in order.

Ontario: Where the taxes are low and the tow ratings are high.

Kind of rolls off the tongue, eh?
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Taxes are low...? Last time I looked, the marginal income tax rate here was what, 49.6%? Dunno if I'd go off on that simple a statement!

Well, how about municipal taxes? Ah, nope, my brother in Jawjuh pays half what I do for a similar house, eh?

Dude, we're screwed! LOL!
Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It seems like no matter how high or how low taxes are anywhere, everyone complains about them. My favorite tax story about Canada is how you have to pay a sales tax on postage stamps—that's double dipping.

Our first year registration for our trailer was around $1,000. And though it drops each year as the trailer gets older, we still get to pay year after year after year. Paying once as in Ontario sounds unique and is more like a sales tax.

There's another tax that may be levied according to where you live—personal property tax. I think trailers people live in at trailer parks pay that instead of real estate property tax here, but it's been a long time since I had to look into that. Otherwise here, the only ones that pay personal property tax are businesses, so a stationary trailer used for a business might be taxed as personal property and not as a trailer. I have no idea how other states do it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #29
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Quote:
Yes and there are 3 now on the Forum for $30k or more. They might be Special Ed, but still. One is $ 36k, 20k more than this one I'm looking at. I guess I don't understand. But maybe it's just a blessing for me. I think I should get her and hope to get the temp tag and register her in Colorado when I get home.
I made this mistake once, thinking I was getting a great deal from a dealer because the rig looked nice and seemed to work. Of course, if it's a dealership, they know how much it's worth and will get that much out of it, so there is probably something wrong with it.

Not definitely, but I'd wager it likely.
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote