Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Problem after flushing tank.

I regularly flush my black tank and this time after flushing my black tank it doesn't empty. It's not blocked from the toilet end and seems clear at the road side end. We never put paper down or poop in it so I'm wondering did I trigger a shut off a valve or something that I don't know about.
No previous problems doing this?
Old 11-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Maybe there is nothing in the tank to drain, especially if you never used it...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Maybe there is nothing in the tank to drain, especially if you never used it...
Ha ha, the bowl is full and not draining. We defiantly use it, full timing for a year😏
Old 11-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Sounds like a blockage, possibly some part of the tank or internal piping broke loose causing it. Maybe a probe going in through the drain valve might release it enough to drain. If that helps, remember you still have the problem that caused it!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVESALLY View Post
Ha ha, the bowl is full and not draining. We defiantly use it, full timing for a year😏
Thought you didn't put paper or poop in it.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
. I don't understand, first you don't use it now you do? If full you must have left the valve open, draining off all liquids, close it and fill with water, maybe go for a short drive the drain again...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I thought I had heard it all... Pls. post re what you discover as I would hate to have your problem. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Broken/disconnected dump valve?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Pretty much sounds like Steve has the inside poop on this one...
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Broken/disconnected dump valve?
Gotta be it Steve! You pull the handle, but the handle snapped loose from the actual valve. Here is a very good thread about what happened and how to repair it without getting completely baptised.

Good luck, and if you put Vicks VapoRub under your nose you won't be able to smell the stuff that comes out while you're doing the repair. The Dremel and vice grip idea should prevent major "leakage".

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...lve-84229.html

Paula
Old 11-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
The PO states she doesn't put solid waste or paper thru the commode into the black water tank. She says she uses it, meaning liquid waste...
Defiantly Dumping,
Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Gotta be it Steve! You pull the handle, but the handle snapped loose from the actual valve. Here is a very good thread about what happened and how to repair it without getting completely baptised.

Good luck, and if you put Vicks VapoRub under your nose you won't be able to smell the stuff that comes out while you're doing the repair. The Dremel and vice grip idea should prevent major "leakage".

Paula

This may be the first and only time I've been "right" about anything Airstream, Paula! 😄
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula
Just had to share...

I was staying at the Americamps outside of Richmond this summer when a family in a fifth wheeler with two tank outflow pipes came into the next site. When they were nearly finished setting up, the father approached and hooked up their grey water sewage line and then to move to the blackwater whilst the wife and kids ran away for a few minutes. He took out of storage a "portable gate valve" is what I call it -- walked over to the blackwater cap, uncorked it to a FLOOD of sewage all over himself and within four seconds had his temp gate valve in place. Unphased, he wiped his nose and went inside.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Just had to share...

I was staying at the Americamps outside of Richmond this summer when a family in a fifth wheeler with two tank outflow pipes came into the next site. When they were nearly finished setting up, the father approached and hooked up their grey water sewage line and then to move to the blackwater whilst the wife and kids ran away for a few minutes. He took out of storage a "portable gate valve" is what I call it -- walked over to the blackwater cap, uncorked it to a FLOOD of sewage all over himself and within four seconds had his temp gate valve in place. Unphased, he wiped his nose and went inside.
Hi Ian - UGH! that's a TERRIBLE story. Why the heck would ANYONE do that. I'd sooner leave the "temporary gate" ON the pipe - even if it hung out the side by a foot - than take the big brown shower!

And I used to think Robin Williams movie "RV" was overblown. We see stuff on the road every day that just is SO gross and ignorant...

Hope you were upwind dear man!

Paula
Old 11-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Just had to share...

I don't get it... Probably a good thing!!! Of you elevate the hose ABOVE the tank you won't get "flow" until lowers below the tank...???
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Stories like this are one of the reasons, amongst others, that we've decided to move to a composting toilet.

This summer, one of my kids flooded the toilet because he didn't manage to flush his business down and kept using more and more water. The black tank was so full that the resulting pressure ruptured the hose when I emptied it. Thankfully I was at a dump station with concrete pads and a water hose so the cleanup was minimal, but it was still fairly disgusting.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I don't get it... Probably a good thing!!! Of you elevate the hose ABOVE the tank you won't get "flow" until lowers below the tank...???
The issue was his original gate valve was stuck open and the travel cap was the only thing holding back raw sewage. So he stuck a temporary valve on whilst at the campgrounds. He removed the temporary the next day and replaced the travel cap before they left.

Paula -- to answer your question, I was sitting twelve feet away under my awning, reading a good book when it occurred. Today I still return to that image when I consider Charles Dickens' works.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Probably the only time I would recommend a portopotty at least temporarily.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

I think one of Uncle Ralph's favorite sayings may apply here.....

"You just have to be smarter than the average....(insert applicable noun)."

Bob
Old 11-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There is nothing wrong with the sewer system in an AS. It's just different than a house system. I find most problems people have could be eliminated by reading the owners manual and using common sense. Never force anything on an AS, the valves,etc. Instruct the family on use. Anyone who plugs an rv toilet would do the same in your home. Be proactive on the systems on your AS, don't sit back and react when something goes wrong. Yes things break, sometimes due to misuse.