Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Check your local RV/SOB store. They may have a local service guy who can "water jet" the system using a pressurized water stream.

I saw one at work here in Texas.. He serviced a friends SOB which had "buildup" because the tanks were "mislabeled" from the SOB factory!!!!!!! The last 5 years of "buildup" was dealt with professionally and safely....

Good luck!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I DID have a similar super yuck experience along with about 20 other campers - I camped where there was only water and electric available. A teenaged boy with the requisite gross and disgusting sense of humor went down a whole row of campers and opened the black valve (with the cap on), let the mess flow into the pipe, then closed the valve again. I was about the third one at the dump station - so I was suspicious and expected the worst. Having small hands I find a strap wrench very handy to remove the cap... and to keep ones hands a few inches away from the "big brown splash".

I didn't have any heavy duty garbage bags, but the camper ahead of me gave me one, so the mess was minimal but still - gasp shudder OMG everyone in line is watching!

Another camper noticed smart-boy hiding and watching with glee - confronted him and dragged him home to his mom and dad. Then a miracle happened - the KID got in trouble instead of the CAMPER who dragged him home! Junior spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning up other people's stuff AND scrubbing the entire dump station with a bleach soaked tooth brush. I wonder if dad was a Marine DI in a former life? The youth also had to personally apologize to every camper in the row who remained after the weekend. I'd pulled out by then but had a friend who stayed. I suppose I'll should get sealing wax or some other kind of red flag mechanism to let me know if this happens again.

Paula
Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , Texas
Maybe it is the sensor and it isn't really full. But, I do know if they camp and don't use it, they are full.
Beaerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #24
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Have a Clean Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
There is nothing wrong with the sewer system in an AS.
I disagree. What is wrong with the sewer system in an AS is the stinky slinky -- as well as the bayonet mount itself -- both are primitive technology. When I was adding a commode, blackwater tank, and dump system to my vintage 15' airframe trailer, I used a "closed" system. After the gate valve is a macerator pump to which a 1" discharge hose is fixed with a hose clamp. On the outflow end of the discharge hose is a dripless valve. To dump, I pull the hose out the jockey box, stick it in the dump station, and open the dripless valve. The I open the gate valve on the 3" ABS allowing waste to enter the back of the macerator pump. Then I run the 12VDC pump. I keep the blackwater tank scrupulously clean by adding water through the commode. While there's nothing pretty about dumping our waste, compared to the nasty "open" system of a detached sewage hose, my "closed" system is doggone elegant.

Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I stand by my statement. Just because some are afraid of a little poo, they need to make things complicated. Nothing wrong with that, just not necessary. To each his own.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Just be happy you don't have the commode found on numerous sailboats. Operating on a vacuum pump, the waste is drawn through an internal hose about the diameter of a McDonald's straw. One rule I had was "if you put something down that clogged it, I overlook, teach, and watch you pull it apart and clean it."
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote