Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have been thru a hurricane, and if I were in an Airstream that could not be moved out of the path, I would make sure it was insured, and leave.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
I guess it's good I read this post, I wasn't even thinking about doing anything special to the GT. I am about 15 minutes to the ocean inlet for the Raritin bay, I guess I'll have to start watching this more closely.

njloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Perhaps the hurricane pattern is changing again. After years of hurricanes hitting Florida, a major storm hit NYC and New England in 1938 (my mother told me about her harrowing trip home in that storm about 10,000 times when I was a kid). I vaguely remember one in NYC in 1944 and a bunch in the '50's and into the 60's.

They'd hit the NC coast, or go offshore and hit LI or NE, or go inland and go through Pa. Lots of flooding in those years. While in college, I drove to Long Island to see one. It was probably Hurricane Donna (Sept., 1960) and was fun—there were no official evacuations in those days and somehow I managed to not get electrocuted by the dangling wires or flooded out when I drove through deep water in underpasses. There were no roads closed and no police anywhere. I think we were awake about 30 hours and after the rain stopped, it still seemed to be raining—perceptions compromised. Sitting in the car at a beach on eastern LI the wind was sandblasting the car. I couldn't put my hand out the window and a piece of paint chipped off one fender. Donna was a very big hurricane and I think the eye was close to NYC and I was east of it. Winds were 105 at the worst, but it never seemed that bad to us.

I didn't own property (except for the car) or a trailer. No worries. I'd do it again except I'm 2,000 miles from the coast and my wife wouldn't let me.

Some time after that there was a long period with hardly any hurricanes and then they started again focusing on Fla. and the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe we are now to go through a period where the NE gets it.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I have driven at 90 mph with the AS in tow. The design keeps it stable when the long axis is pointed into the wind and does OK even when towed in a cross wind. At Quartzite it has rocked when hit on the side by a 70 - 80 mph gust but it does not feel as though it is going to roll. Our TV is a 2003 E350 (Ford van). It is on an aggressive 4X4 platform. If we are concerned we park the van on the windward side of the AS or move the AS so that it is pointed into the wind. The van weighs about 9000# so it keeps the front end well anchored when attached. Blowing debris are my greatest concern. Nevertheless, our insurance premiums are paid up.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic
1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Don't know what we will get here north of Tampa fl but I have moved her out from under the oak trees and strapped her down. I moved the Airstream too.
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
Gouldsboro , Maine
Um, are you OK?

sophiefox is offline   Reply With Quote