Old 10-24-2010, 04:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
The skirting is mostly to block the wind and the wind chill that would occur. Here in Oklahoma wind chill is the culprit. We country boys use anything at times to mock up a type skirt from scratch. We paid 14,000 for ours but it was in total working condition when we achieved it. Don't plan on re-selling it - as it is exactly what we want for the rest of the journey. You can park anywhere in Okla in a town or city. But if someone complains you have to move around til they stop.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #16
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmit1 View Post
Please elaborate on this skirt thing -- is this something that can be purchased? Or something you make yourself? We typically take a 2 week camping trip in March. Depending on where we go, there can be snow on the ground (such as at the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago). That was in our pop-up, and we had a lot of anxiety about tanks and lines freezing. We really would like to be able to set up our Airstream (once we get one) for full time camping. (I know -- someone will reply "search the archives" -- but gosh, this search engine is limited. Believe me, I have tried. If you can point me to the right link I would really appreciate it.)

Tammie
Tammie my skirt was made myself from rigid styrofoam wrapped in silver foil bubble wrap. It was meant as a semi permanent installation and onlt removed twice a year to relocate the trailer. There are companies that can make vinyl skirting that is easy to install and remove again. However this type is not as efficient as insulation.
Your type will depend on the usage you want.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
This skirting came from a seven-eleven conv. store. It is square tubing with red vinyl rivited to it. We had several feet of it at one time and was able to wrap it around the trailer base and wired at the ends.

It was (and still is) too big to carry around all the time but we still have a few sections of it left, because it was so darned handy! The rest got recycled into signs for other businesses!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imported Picture (lh5.ggpht.com) (1)_original.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	113872  
Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #18

Austin , Texas
Thank you, Wasaga! I'm already keeping my eye on this one. I'm glad to hear you approve! A little bit of rust, but as expected. The same one is on craigslist listed at $11,500, but eBay has a lot more pictures posted: 1973 Airstream Excella 31ft trailer

The archives have been SO helpful, the purchasing tips have me feeling much more confident.

And of course, I am aware that with any vintage or classic vehicle, there is the purchase cost, repair cost, inspections, surprise costs, and then any fancy updating and remodeling costs if there's any money left. haha... I'm just trying to be as educated and assisted as possible in my purchase so I don't get myself in over my head, or pay too much for a rust bucket.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #19
x

XXXX , XXXX
Zisi if what they say in the ads is true. Thsi would be a great buy.Always stored inside and from Texas originally so no issues of road salt to rust out frame. What you see on the frame and belly is just surface and not an issue. The only drawback is rear bath. They cause more problems due to rear end seperation and leaks etc. this trailer looks fantastic and well cared for. If I wanted a third trailer I would be bidding on it. Don`t let it slip by, plus it`s so close to you you can inspect it personally.