Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
Permanent Set-up

My mother, 84 years young, unbelievably capable and independent, has purchased a beautiful 34' AS in which she intends to setup permanent housekeeping. She says her house is too big and hard to keep for her current needs. It has fallen to me to accomplish the installation.

I don't see the electrical, propane or water hookups as being too problematic. The drainline plumbing, however, may be more of an issue. That is, how to prevent solids from collecting in the black tank if both valves (black & grey) are left open. The first question then is; Is the bulk dump of the 1/2+ filled black tank followed by dumping the grey tank actually required to keep the black tank from accumulating solids? If this is in fact required, is there an acceptable workaround for a permanent installation?

Lastly, what problems may I have not yet considered? Your ideas and suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
GeraldVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldVG
Is the bulk dump of the 1/2+ filled black tank followed by dumping the grey tank actually required to keep the black tank from accumulating solids?
Exactly! I don't know of any other solution other than waiting for the black tank to fill up and then only dumping at that time. After the black is dumped, I like to leave the black valve open while I dump the gray. This enables some of the gray water to slosh up into the black tank too. Dumping the gray second also has the benefit of giving your hose a free rinsing on the inside.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldVG
Your ideas and suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
hi gerald...

seriously?

this would be my choice for 'permanent poo plumbing'...

the black tank should only be emptied when full and even then accumulation may be an issue....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ank-31189.html

even leaving the wash water open full time, really really long term is an issue.

food waste, grease, and other undigested solids WILL accumulate along the way...

as travel trailers these things get agitated and rinsed and enzyme'd and so on....

while the sinks/shower do have traps for odors,

things can still rise in the system too...

are you gonna build a local septic system?

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outhouse.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	35691  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Gerald -

Unless mom wants to run GALLONS of water with pressure (a garden hose)down the toilet after each use (and that still isn't the best idea), I'd HIGHLY recommend letting the black tank fill before dumping. I'd also recommend the same treatment for the grey tank. And don't forget to use the black tank cleaning spray built into the AS - you hook a garden hose to the attachment on the outside of the trailer and a jet of water rotates around the inside of the plack tank to help remove solids.

Is she going to be in a campground/trailerpark? She could arrange with them to dimp her tanks on a regular schedule if she doesn't want to do it.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
Thanks for the reply, 1Air'. Yes, she'll be hooked up to a septic system. Like your attached picture. We've been there too.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
1air'...you've been knocked down a notch...LOL

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
For true long-term parking by not drop black tank and bypass it? A few rivets for the belly skin, loosen vent clamp and remove toilet flange, and disconnect the level sensors and it should nearly drop free once 4 bolts are removed from pan supports... The plumb toilet as normally, though a backflow preventer to block any fuu gass could be valuable. All parts get cleaned and saved to normalize it hopefully a long time from now...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
1air'...you've been knocked down a notch...LOL
happens daily.

i love pain.

there are so many notches in me...

well that's another story...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Yellville , Arkansas
Thanks & Apologies

Really appreciate everyone's input. Not the best news or what I'd hoped for, but exactly what I expected. Looks like we're in for a periodic dump routine and keeping our fingers crossed. At least Mom's already accustomed to dealing with septic systems and the paper issues. Wish us luck.

My apologies to 2Air. Didn't mean to demote you.

Gerald