Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Sure wish they made the 19ft with panoramic windows...bet they'd sell a lot of them!
I think they do, available in all the different packages, I'm pretty sure...

P.S. Your photos on your blog are amazing - they look like Airstream PR materials!
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I think they do, available in all the different packages, I'm pretty sure...

We didn't see any when we were looking. They did have the 22ft sport, but all the 19s on the lot near us has the side bed and single window in back. Darn...Hope we don't find out now that they do have that style!!!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Here's what gets us - it is simply COOL to be sitting behind this big curved piece of glass in our little rolling treehouse. It's what ultimately will probably drive us to buy a trailer with these windows front and rear - leakage issues, extra weight, and slightly colder sleeping be damned.

But nevermind what we all say. What do YOU want? If you want it, and you're going to be living in it a while (I'd get at least a 23' for full-timing, but that's a different thread), and you're stretching a bit to get it - get what you want the first time.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmog View Post
We didn't see any when we were looking. They did have the 22ft sport, but all the 19s on the lot near us has the side bed and single window in back. Darn...Hope we don't find out now that they do have that style!!!
The newer 19's can only have a front pano window, as the bed and bath are in the back...the 16's can have panos on both ends. What used to be the Safari SE (like ours) has a pano and aluminum interiors (Safari SEs are now called the Flying Clouds). The regular Safaris of that era had a small front window and fabric interior.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
In August 2011 we purchased a lightly used 2008 Safari SE 27FB with a standard window in the front bedroom and a panoramic window at the rear. We like having the wide view from the pano window when sitting at the dinette. It, combined with the other windows, fantastic fan, and skylight in kitchen area make the living area light filled, bright and cheery during the day. Since we don't use the bedroom during the day, we don't miss the added light or visibility from the pano window in the front bedroom. However, we do very much like the extra storage afforded by the closets on either side of the queen bed made possible by having the standard window instead of the pano window in the bedroom.

We also find the bedroom to be warmer in cool weather due to the absence of the glass area of the pano window. During a recent fall outing, temperatures were in the low 50's at night. The heat pump did a good job of taking the chill off. We did notice the trailer was demonstrably warmer in the front bedroom and much cooler in the rear where the pano window is located. We attribute this phenomenon to the greater glass surface area in lthe rear. In the summer heat we also find the bedroom cools faster than the living area.

So far we are very happy with the panoramic window on the rear and the regular window in front. If ordering a new trailer we would get it without the front pano so we could enjoy the extra storage room provided by the two extra closets. We would likely still get the rear panoramic window to enjoy the views and have the extra light.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
The newer 19's can only have a front pano window, as the bed and bath are in the back...the 16's can have panos on both ends. What used to be the Safari SE (like ours) has a pano and aluminum interiors (Safari SEs are now called the Flying Clouds). The regular Safaris of that era had a small front window and fabric interior.
Ah, I didn't catch the "in back" bit -- yeah, we have to have the aft bed that goes the length of the trailer - crawling over each other to get out of the bed, as you do when the bed goes widthwise, doesn't work for us, for a couple of reasons. So panoramic windows over the dinette or not is the issue here.

Quote:
What do YOU want? If you want it, and you're going to be living in it a while (I'd get at least a 23' for full-timing, but that's a different thread), and you're stretching a bit to get it - get what you want the first time.
Excellent advice... Well, I guess I want the panoramic windows. I suppose it's that the 2007 Bambi with single window being sold is such a good price, it's making me re-think that...well, and plus the other issues like leaks and stones and such... (I'm trying not to totally wipe out my savings with this.)

We're really used to living in a small space, after about 5 years of traveling around the world. We spent six months living in what they'd call a "box room" in the UK, that was something like 5x10, with a loft for the bed that you could just barely sit up in -- also, you had to climb a ladder (not purpose built, a freestanding ladder) to get up there. (It was a very warm room, too -- the water pipes from the bath in the flat upstairs ran alongside the bed. I tried not to think about that too much.) And our landlady often kept her bike in there, on the other wall from the IKEA Expedit bookcase. It was only because we were a couple that we could pass each other from the desk area to the door, and usually one person would just back out of the room instead.

After that, a 19' Bambi feels like tons of room!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There's another problem here. A 19' is simply too small for full-time for two people. This is because it is a 48" wide bed and one must crawl over the other to get out. The only seating is the dinette, and even laid down it is not large enough for full-time use for two, and you will quickly tire of setting it up and down. The storage capacity is inadequate. The water and waste tanks are too small. The furnace is a built-in space heater. The refrigerator/freezer combo is inadequate.

The 19' is wonderful weekend and vacation model, very popular and holds good resale. For a little more you can have a 25' with more of everything (it's longer, wider, and taller), especially a sense of spaciousness, and it tows nearly as easily with better stability.

We went from years of VW campers to a 20' Airstream and were thrilled, until we began spending 6 months in it. It's a remarkable Airstream but too small for extended use.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
A 19' is simply too small for full-time for two people.
Well, and that's the other thing. Honestly, the bed is just the right size, because, sorry for the TMI, my fiancé is a cuddler, and it doesn't matter what size bed we have, I'll wake up in the morning on the edge of the bed and him draped over top of me. Srsly, in a king, it's hilarious because we end up using about half of it; I've given up waking up in the middle of the night and shoving with cries of "move over" only to have to repeat! Our "real" bed in the UK is about the same size as what's in the Bambi. I've already tried lying down on the bed and figuring out if there's enough room for us to get out of it without making the other person climb over one, and it works that way, so long as you're talking the floor plan with the bed running lengthwise. I tried the widthwise and that would be impossible for us.

And really, our box-room living space, and many of our other travel arrangements over the last five years, have convinced me that we actually don't need a whole lot of stuff nor a whole lot of room to live. (Especially since we'll still have a home base, albeit in another country.)

Now, the water and waste tanks - that's definitely a concern, and I've never dealt with that before, so all opinions about that are welcome. How do people who full-time in 19' Bambis deal with that? We'll be on hookups a good deal of the time, I'm sure, but also boondocking some of the time as well. We're both pretty good at water conservation, and I know you can always hook back up and dump when necessary if you're boondocking.

Fridge/freezer, I'm not too worried about. Our eating habits work with that size. I'm hoping to move with the weather and stay out of too many extremes.

The other thing is that I really don't want to have to scale up my tow vehicle either, plus I figure the 19' will be easier to store when we're in the UK, or when we're staying with friends and want to stow the thing in a driveway or some such.

This is great, though, it's good to have to think and defend these things and wonder if my thinking/reasoning is right!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
Wrap Around Stone Guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
I'm happy with "Tinbad" which is a standard Safari 25' (aft BR). With the single window and side windows for and aft. It provides ample view and additional insulation value.
Another consideration is the structural soundness/stiffness of having less window area (more windows/more possible leakage).
And finally, when I took possession the front window plexiglass protector had been hit by a rock necessitating replacement. It stands to reason that the corner window could be hit by flying objects and I don't recall seeing any information on wrap-around window protectors.
Aesthetics being a high consideration of all AS owners (other-wize one can hit the road on much less expensive trailers).....I like the smooth expanse of un-interupted curved corners and when guests come by they can't help but run they're hands over just that area.....they're eyes are just "drawn" to it!!
"FlashSilver" has an excellent point on "Backing into a View"...with the FB but I bought local to save on the cost of shipping from the far corners of the continent so I got what I ended up with and make do.
TbRich and Carlita are probably the ones to listen to most on this post as they are more in your size range and have more experience with a slightly smaller set up. AND you get by with a more economical tow vehicle.
Cheers (PS/ Picture of Tinbad on the "wrong side of the tracks")
Del
I have to say there are so many opinions on this, like many of the others here, it just depends on what use you are making of the space. We hit between 25k and 35k a year, and have a full wrap on the front AND the rear. The light is beautiful, as is the ability to really appreciate the view from both ends of your rig.
Cheers
ELF 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rig Attachment.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	145562  
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
....<snip>.....
Now, the water and waste tanks - that's definitely a concern, and I've never dealt with that before, so all opinions about that are welcome. How do people who full-time in 19' Bambis deal with that? We'll be on hookups a good deal of the time, I'm sure, but also boondocking some of the time as well. We're both pretty good at water conservation, and I know you can always hook back up and dump when necessary if you're boondocking.

...<snip>...
We do quite a lot of dry camping in our 19', while not strickly boon docking, we do go without hookups and can get by — the 2 of us — for a week with the the black holding tank if we are careful. Grey water seems to accumulate faster, so we conserve, take navy showers and are careful with what we put in the grey tank. If we can drain the grey into a container and get rid of it we do... If there are showers in the campground we use those instead of our own water. We run out of fresh water first. So when we know we are going to be out for a week we are careful to take extra water...or better yet, be prepared to schlep a container back and forth to the trailer to fill up the tank... You will be surprised how long you can stretch your resources if you work at it a bit...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
So when we know we are going to be out for a week we are careful to take extra water...or better yet, be prepared to schlep a container back and forth to the trailer to fill up the tank... You will be surprised how long you can stretch your resources if you work at it a bit...
Kewl! I've started another thread on the subject, but that's good to know. I've read that people buy those 7 gallon collapsible water thingies, I can always keep one of those in the back of the TV!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
We hit between 25k and 35k a year, and have a full wrap on the front AND the rear. The light is beautiful, as is the ability to really appreciate the view from both ends of your rig.
Wow, your rig is gorgeous!

Tags
claustrophobic, layout, panoramic, window