Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Outfitting AS for FTing

I originally posted on this in the Stella's subforum.

It probably is a better fit here.

Here is what should be the correct link:

Amazon.com: Equipment For The Fulltime RVer and Boondocker

I initially posted my Listmania entitled "Equipment For The Fulltime RVer and Boondocker on Amazon because all the other lists were mostly of books.

The list has some of the things I have found that work well on the AS from hooking up, loading and unloading a genset, kitchen items, etc.

Maybe some will find some helpful ideas on the list.

Happy Trails,

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
I set mine up just like my house with a few exceptions; I have heavy duty plastic dishes (they actually makres clear glasses that look just like glass, and decent looking dishes) The blender has a plastic pitcher (opted not to spend the $$ for the Stainlesd Steel version) All the regular appliances (toaster, crock pot, ect) are metal to endure the constant movement when traveling I have an extra set of stabalizer stands I put right ain front of the axles (let the tires cool first or they'll be a bugger to get out later. Ask me how I know LOL). They make aligning the door a LOT easier, and take a ton of bounce out of the trailer when set up.Remember, you have a lot of stotage space in your exterior compartments, and under the bed (if you have one), so use it. Things like an extra dump hose (ever been just that much too short?), one of the shoe brushes (how many places have NO mud to step in?), a washable throw rug for just inside the door ("Wipe yoir feet" ), mount plastic hooks on the inside of tge kitchen sink cabinet to hand dish/hand towels on (use good quality indoor/outdoor 2 sided tape), line your cabinets with rubber non-skid matting to help keep stuff still while in transit. Keep a roll of Gorilla Tape onboard at all times. That stuff is 100 times better than duct tape! Super Glue Gel is nice to have to. A little glue can stop a big issue from happening! Things like a wicker hamper, waste basket, ect adds durable functionality without adding weight, or looking cheap. Make sure you buy bakeware that will fit inside the oven. Camper ovens are narrower, and shallower than house ovens. you need them to not fit tight so the heat can circulate. Remember bleach. You will need to sterilize your fresh water hookups (both camper & park) beforehand so your system stays sanitary.I was a little worried about being in a tight space like that, but my 33FK fits me very well. Read the article about buying the right size unit. When fulltiming, 2 feet can make a HUGE difference! Oh, when safe to do so, use your cruise control. Your TV can adjust the accelerator position to maintain speed a LOT more efficiently than you can. OK, I'm done rambling LOL
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Those V8 Moments

Everytime we attend a rally or campout I leave with a bruise on my forehead from all the V8 moments when I see things others are doing that are really great ideas for fting.

That is why I started the post and linked the list. I wanted other fters to see some of my ideas that are specific to the fters needs and the weight and space considerations. Fting is so different from recreational use.

I realize everything is really personal preference (i.e.- I absolutly do not want a manual washer that leaves me with sopping wet laundry to wring out, hence my "compact, portable" laundry system that stores under the bed of my unit).

Also would welcome other fters opinions on better options.

Fters, please jump into the friendly foray!

'shaker
Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I think the list underscores how different full-timing is for different people. I didn't see much on that list that we would want in our rig. A string trimmer? Portable clothes dryer? Gel for heating the propane tanks?

I suppose somebody wants those things, but I sure didn't go full-time to mow other people's grass, and we did our laundry at the laundromat. I can't even imagine what I'd want with a Ryobi reciprocating saw. The list looks like it was composed by a Class A motorhome owner with unlimited storage space.

If you are considering full-timing to simplify your life, I'd suggest considering carefully before you complicate it again with a lot of stuff you probably don't need. Makes more sense to get out there and figure what you really want than to load up in advance. Most full-timers (and Appalachian Trail hikers) I've met end up dumping a lot of stuff not long after they get started!

To decide what makes sense to bring along, I'd focus on the reason I was traveling, and (here's a hint) it's not because I want to save propane by cooking on an electric hotplate. How about binoculars for spotting wildlife, guidebooks, hiking boots, games, journals, camera? What are your interests?

Or how about useful tools for repair, maintenance and routine service? You're probably not going to be building furniture while you are on the road, so skip the circular saw and go for a small tool bag with a few select items for typical repairs.

Think about what you want to do while you've got all the extra time that full-timing allows (since you're not working around the house every weekend), and indulge your interests. Then you'll have the ultimate list -- for you.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
If you are considering full-timing to simplify your life, I'd suggest considering carefully before you complicate it again with a lot of stuff you probably don't need.
Yeppers

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Appreciating Differences

Hmmm....Lets see

- I do have a review for my Waring Pro double burner hotplate, but I did not assume all fters have solar since it is an expensive endeavor.

-the string trimmer idea was from another camper at our first boondocking campout. He cleared the site for his unit as the rest of us walked around in grass above our knees.

-the wonder washer idea came after 10 day stay in a SP that was 40 miles from the closest town. It has enabled us to enjoy running around after the grandchildren instead of to town to do laundry. Also, more than paid for itself along with the portable dryer during my recuperation from surgery. I did not have to go to to town I( we stocked up on groceries and other household items)and risk exposing myself to H1N1 that could compromise my recovery. (3 surgeries was risky enough)

-the gel pack idea came to me after having my propane stop flowing during a winter stay in my unit..I am a fter and in my unit year around.

Sorry my list and ideas seem like a they came from a MH snob.

I am reminded why I do not post much. I would run the risk of becoming this instead of staying this .

Happy trails ,

'shaker
Old 01-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
fr8tshaker, I like your list and actually put a few things on my wish list. I like the trimmer idea a lot. Back when I used to boondock at the races a lot I'd bring my cheapy mower with me to mow the field where I set up. Now I'm fulltiming at a campground and have really minimized so as to stay mobile on a moments notice, so I don't have the mower. I'm going to investigate where I could fit a little trimmer. I've minimized so much I've got some extra room to store stuff like that.

Here's one thing I'll add to the list that I plan to get in the next month or so: an onboard welder. http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/ Obviously this is for the Tow Vehicle.
This unit isn't cheap ~$1k, but it does a lot--its a very capable stick welder, battery charger, and it has a 115-volt DC (maximum 2300 watts/20 amps) power-outlet jack for non-fluorescent lighting and brush-type power tools: grinders, drills, saws, and blenders, frying pans, blow driers, coffee makers etc.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Airstream01,

I am happy you found some heplful ideas which was my intent when starting this thread.

As for the weedeater I listed, We own that particular model. Our employer offers a point based performance system that allows us to order items of our choice. DH used some of his points for it. We like the fact that it is battery powered and has two batteries. The telescoping handle really reduces space requirements.

Share some of your ideas. Like I stated earlier I always have V8 moments.

'shaker
Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
I knew there was a time limit for posters to amend or correct their spelling, etc on the forum. I did not realize that an elite few could amend posts at anytime.

Now why would someone do that? (heres a hint - the realization that the post possibly demonstrated an obvious lask of social skills). Of course that is not a requirement for posting.

I really, really appreciate the tip to do deep analysis on why I want to ft.

Gee. I feel like calling Dr. Laura

'shaker
Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Please forgive my typos in the previous post. The time limit imposed for some forum members must have been exceeded........

'shaker
Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I like the list on Amazon. What a fun thing to be doing this winter day. I too am dreaming of streaming.

The washer/spinner/dryer appeals to me. We work camped and the washer and dryers were very expensive and not that effective where we were. I would have loved to have washed out the work polo and some underwear and socks knowing they could dry. The trip to the laundrymat as remote as we were and through the heavy traveled tourist filled roads would be very laborious.

I want a hot plate too. For outside cooking. I like frying greasy foods, something I don't think Eleanor (Rich L.) would do. But even bringing the cast iron and If I could keep the mess outside or even have an appliance for potluck or sharing outside on the table I would like that. Someone had an electric skillet and brought and cooked breakfast and dinner outside and it was great sitting together the whole time. But I do think a hotplate is more versatile.

On to the Cobb cooker. You have used it? I have heard some very good things about it and some things not so very good about it. Perhaps you use the wood fire to really sear your steaks with the foldup grill on the list, and use the Cobb for roasting and smoking and things that do not require a char?

What we bring in our Airstreams...it's complicated. There are things others may think imperative that I would never dream to carry along. Perhaps that is the stuff of another thread. What is the excentric item you would never ever be without packed into your Airstream?

Like a new all-in-one printer/scanner, I have designs on. Or boxes of photos waiting to be digitalized along with Adobe workshop books, sewing machine, projects, games. I bring too much, but that is just how I live at home too, with too much. I love my Airstream because I can bring it all and change it around when my interests wane or change.

Good thread shaker.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
CarolJ,

Glad I am not the only one carrying my sewing machine. Actually it is in our truck with us right now so I can work on a project as time permits.

I purchased a hot plate to cook ouside with for the same reasons as you. It just made more sense to me than having an electric skillet and other electic appliance that take up more space. I use it outdoors and I use it indoors when I have FHU's to reduce propane usage. Also it does not seem to heat up the inside of the AS as much as the conv. burners. I also use it at get-togethers as a warming tray at the potlucks.

On the Cobb Grill, I really like the flavorful meats it produces when used with the little smoking pot and the different flavored pellets. It is the right size for us also. We do use the optional flat bottomed wok insert to prepare meals outdoors,weather permitting. The most common complaint I have heard on the Cobb was how difficult it is to clean. I resolved this issue by using a dish pan. I take the lid and the moat and dip them in the water then sprinkle them with Barkeepers Friend or Cameo cleaner. I set them to the side while I wash whatever insert I was using. Then it seems to take very little elbow grease to clean. We have had ours for several years and it still looks new using this method.

What I use depends on where we are camping at the time. Sometimes its a wood fire with food cooked directly on the foldable outdoor grill or in a cast iron skillet. Sometimes its the Cobb.Sometimes the hotplate. Other times it my small Coleman propane grill/stove combo if a strict burn ban is in effect.

The purchase of the square corelle dishes was prompted by seeing another 'streamer at the Branson Forums rally with them. Until then I had no idea how much room round dishes take up. Another V8 Moment!

My eccentric item is my electric burr coffee grinder. It is the only single use item I carry. Iabsolutely could not give it up.

Making the list was fun and kept me busy while getting better. Most of the other lists seemed to be books. I am trying to rid myself of traditional books and go strictly ebooks due to weight and space limitations. I am an avid reader.

Well it's DH turn to drive and my turn to sleep, so I guess I better sign off for now. Will try to check the thread again tonight before I start driving.

Thank you for the kind response.

'shaker
Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Instead of a hotplate that requires electricity, may I suggest a single burner, multi-fuel, MSR stove It can burn kerosene, white gas, and unleaded gasoline. It takes up very little space and is very easy to light and adjust the heat output. I have one. I love it.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
I own the Ryobi tools already and they are smaller than my husbands full-size work tools. In my full timing dreams I definitely see myself finding a place for them. We are very much do-it-yourself people and I believe they would be used often enough for them to make the list of must haves. I would also have to have a sewing machine. Not sure about the washer/dryer I'd want to try it ourt first ... but would definitely find an alternative to a weekly laundry mat visit though.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile Boondocking

I equate full timing with boondocking, solar power, and water conservation; hence all my recommendations reflect my personal full timing boondocking life style.

My FOUR picks:

1: I love my Manual Coffee Grinder by Danesco.

2: My Aero Press coffee maker.

One of my favorite weight indulgences is

3: My 3 qt Le Creuset, enameled Dutch oven.
I use it for pasta, “no Kneed” bread, one pot meals and reheating.

4: An oven
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Thank You For Contributing!

'Shaker,

Thank you for contributing to our online community and sharing your list.

While some items might not work for everyone, we found your list helpful, thoughtful and insightful.

Gemma's been wanting one of those washer thingies-who knew that there was an accompanying dryer? We'll keep our aluminum motorcycle ramp in mind, when loading our Honda eu3000is into the back of the truck. String trimmer-well we never thought of bringing ours, but I'm sure we'd appreciate the use of it if we were camping somewhere with grass up to our knees. We'll check out the leisure mat, the hose quick connect set, and the silicone tagine lid (we already have a few silicone lids and they work great). We'd also like a solar oven.

We kinda, sorta bring a hot plate with us when camping. We bring our Viking induction burner. We love it! Apart from it being compact and saving on propane, it is extremely responsive, boiling a small sauce pan of water in 90 seconds but you can place your hand directly on the cooking surface and not get burned.

Thank you once again for sharing your list. We'll look forward to reading more of your posts.

All the best,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viking Induction Burner.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	94243  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
'twixt and 'tween

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
I equate full timing with boondocking, solar power, and water conservation; hence all my recommendations reflect my personal full timing boondocking life style.

My FOUR picks:

1: I love my Manual Coffee Grinder by Danesco.

2: My Aero Press coffee maker.

One of my favorite weight indulgences is

3: My 3 qt Le Creuset, enameled Dutch oven.
I use it for pasta, “no Kneed” bread, one pot meals and reheating.

4: An oven

Hi Michael,

I know that you boondock almost exclusively. Maybe we will get there someday.

As you already know, some people only camp at FHU places then there are the ones such as yourself that boondock most of the time.

We are the type that floats from one extreme to the other depending on how the spirit moves us.

When we purchased our unit we had not considered boondocking at all. You were at the January boondocking campout that was our first boondocking event. Totally unprepared of course, but we still had a grand time! Of course the great bunch of people and their positive attitude toward the newbies made all the difference .That prompted us to aquire more equipment and attend more boondocking events.

Maybe someday we will evolve to total boondockers. That's one of the great aspects of living , we are constantly evolving.........At least until we devolve and start wearing diapers again

Happy trails,
'shaker
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
'Shaker,

Thank you for contributing to our online community and sharing your list.

While some items might not work for everyone, we found your list helpful, thoughtful and insightful.

Gemma's been wanting one of those washer thingies-who knew that there was an accompanying dryer? We'll keep our aluminum motorcycle ramp in mind, when loading our Honda eu3000is into the back of the truck. String trimmer-well we never thought of bringing ours, but I'm sure we'd appreciate the use of it if we were camping somewhere with grass up to our knees. We'll check out the leisure mat, the hose quick connect set, and the silicone tagine lid (we already have a few silicone lids and they work great). We'd also like a solar oven.

We kinda, sorta bring a hot plate with us when camping. We bring our Viking induction burner. We love it! Apart from it being compact and saving on propane, it is extremely responsive, boiling a small sauce pan of water in 90 seconds but you can place your hand directly on the cooking surface and not get burned.

Thank you once again for sharing your list. We'll look forward to reading more of your posts.

All the best,
Yhottys,

Glad the list was helpful.

RE: Your induction hotplate. I saw them on Amazon but was reluctant to purchase eventhough the safety factor of not getting burned was very appealing.

Will vintage corningware and cast iron work on this type of burner? I went to using some corningware since it nests nicely and will work in my conv/micro, on the stovetop and in the conventional oven.

I never thought about a motorcycle ramp. Of course I never thought about the folding dog ramp or the gel packs to keep the propane flowing in colder climates until a friend of ours, David Tidmore suggested them ( I like to give credit to the person I got ideas from when possible and not present them as my own).

Do you ever camp where there could be problems with widlife competing for you dinner thats cooking in the solar oven? If it were us or a bear Yogi wins.

Happy trails,

'shaker
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
'Shaker,

We don't think Corningware will work on the induction burner. We'll have to try it with a cast iron skillet-we love ours, it was Murray's grandmother's, but we don't travel with it due to its weight.

As for bears-yes, they would win that battle, but we're thinking of using the solar oven primarily when we're at Burning Man in the 100 degree heat.

Thanks again for sharing your list!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #20

Merrick , New York
Hi Everyone,

My wife Linda and I are new to this forum, and new to RVing.

We need all the information we can get, and this seems like a great place to begin.

After much research, we have decided that an AS 31' Classic is the way to go for us, towed by a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck, since we want to fulltime as soon as we can.

Our main question is how do you plan on what clothing to take, and where is it all stored? Even the 31' sems a bit short on storage (no, we don't want a 5er). We want to travel all over the US, and since we have a place in Florida will stay there during the winter venturing north when the weather is warmer than now!

Thanks for all of your help, and a great forum!

Roger & Linda
reodds is offline   Reply With Quote