Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile Boondocking

I equate full timing with boondocking, solar power, and water conservation; hence all my recommendations reflect my personal full timing boondocking life style.

My FOUR picks:

1: I love my Manual Coffee Grinder by Danesco.

2: My Aero Press coffee maker.

One of my favorite weight indulgences is

3: My 3 qt Le Creuset, enameled Dutch oven.
I use it for pasta, “no Kneed” bread, one pot meals and reheating.

4: An oven

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Thank You For Contributing!

'Shaker,

Thank you for contributing to our online community and sharing your list.

While some items might not work for everyone, we found your list helpful, thoughtful and insightful.

Gemma's been wanting one of those washer thingies-who knew that there was an accompanying dryer? We'll keep our aluminum motorcycle ramp in mind, when loading our Honda eu3000is into the back of the truck. String trimmer-well we never thought of bringing ours, but I'm sure we'd appreciate the use of it if we were camping somewhere with grass up to our knees. We'll check out the leisure mat, the hose quick connect set, and the silicone tagine lid (we already have a few silicone lids and they work great). We'd also like a solar oven.

We kinda, sorta bring a hot plate with us when camping. We bring our Viking induction burner. We love it! Apart from it being compact and saving on propane, it is extremely responsive, boiling a small sauce pan of water in 90 seconds but you can place your hand directly on the cooking surface and not get burned.

Thank you once again for sharing your list. We'll look forward to reading more of your posts.

All the best,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viking Induction Burner.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	94243  

Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
'twixt and 'tween

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
I equate full timing with boondocking, solar power, and water conservation; hence all my recommendations reflect my personal full timing boondocking life style.

My FOUR picks:

1: I love my Manual Coffee Grinder by Danesco.

2: My Aero Press coffee maker.

Hi Michael,

I know that you boondock almost exclusively. Maybe we will get there someday.

As you already know, some people only camp at FHU places then there are the ones such as yourself that boondock most of the time.

We are the type that floats from one extreme to the other depending on how the spirit moves us.

When we purchased our unit we had not considered boondocking at all. You were at the January boondocking campout that was our first boondocking event. Totally unprepared of course, but we still had a grand time! Of course the great bunch of people and their positive attitude toward the newbies made all the difference .That prompted us to aquire more equipment and attend more boondocking events.

Maybe someday we will evolve to total boondockers. That's one of the great aspects of living , we are constantly evolving.........At least until we devolve and start wearing diapers again

Happy trails,
'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
'Shaker,

Thank you for contributing to our online community and sharing your list.

While some items might not work for everyone, we found your list helpful, thoughtful and insightful.

Gemma's been wanting one of those washer thingies-who knew that there was an accompanying dryer? We'll keep our aluminum motorcycle ramp in mind, when loading our Honda eu3000is into the back of the truck. String trimmer-well we never thought of bringing ours, but I'm sure we'd appreciate the use of it if we were camping somewhere with grass up to our knees. We'll check out the leisure mat, the hose quick connect set, and the silicone tagine lid (we already have a few silicone lids and they work great). We'd also like a solar oven.

We kinda, sorta bring a hot plate with us when camping. We bring our Viking induction burner. We love it! Apart from it being compact and saving on propane, it is extremely responsive, boiling a small sauce pan of water in 90 seconds but you can place your hand directly on the cooking surface and not get burned.

Thank you once again for sharing your list. We'll look forward to reading more of your posts.

All the best,
Yhottys,

Glad the list was helpful.

RE: Your induction hotplate. I saw them on Amazon but was reluctant to purchase eventhough the safety factor of not getting burned was very appealing.

Will vintage corningware and cast iron work on this type of burner? I went to using some corningware since it nests nicely and will work in my conv/micro, on the stovetop and in the conventional oven.

I never thought about a motorcycle ramp. Of course I never thought about the folding dog ramp or the gel packs to keep the propane flowing in colder climates until a friend of ours, David Tidmore suggested them ( I like to give credit to the person I got ideas from when possible and not present them as my own).

Do you ever camp where there could be problems with widlife competing for you dinner thats cooking in the solar oven? If it were us or a bear Yogi wins.

Happy trails,

'shaker
Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
'Shaker,

We don't think Corningware will work on the induction burner. We'll have to try it with a cast iron skillet-we love ours, it was Murray's grandmother's, but we don't travel with it due to its weight.

As for bears-yes, they would win that battle, but we're thinking of using the solar oven primarily when we're at Burning Man in the 100 degree heat.

Thanks again for sharing your list!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #20

Merrick , New York
Hi Everyone,

My wife Linda and I are new to this forum, and new to RVing.

We need all the information we can get, and this seems like a great place to begin.

After much research, we have decided that an AS 31' Classic is the way to go for us, towed by a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck, since we want to fulltime as soon as we can.

Our main question is how do you plan on what clothing to take, and where is it all stored? Even the 31' sems a bit short on storage (no, we don't want a 5er). We want to travel all over the US, and since we have a place in Florida will stay there during the winter venturing north when the weather is warmer than now!

Thanks for all of your help, and a great forum!

Roger & Linda
Old 01-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Storing Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by reodds View Post
Hi Everyone,

My wife Linda and I are new to this forum, and new to RVing.

We need all the information we can get, and this seems like a great place to begin.

After much research, we have decided that an AS 31' Classic is the way to go for us, towed by a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck, since we want to fulltime as soon as we can.

Our main question is how do you plan on what clothing to take, and where is it all stored? Even the 31' sems a bit short on storage (no, we don't want a 5er). We want to travel all over the US, and since we have a place in Florida will stay there during the winter venturing north when the weather is warmer than now!

Thanks for all of your help, and a great forum!

Roger & Linda

Roger and Linda,

Everyone is different. With that said, the approach we took was to just use alot of our household items in our unit until we attended some rallies and campouts with other 'streamers.

This approach kept us from wasting hard earned $$$ on items that did not work that we would soon regret purchasing. It was a nuisance at times, like my SS copper bottomed pots and pans with long handles, but in the end we got a lot of ideas on what would work great for us.

'shaker
Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 AM   #22

Merrick , New York
Thanks 'shaker! I don't want to be rude, but I understand about taking "hardware", my question was more about what cloths to take, and where to store them?

The AS really doesn't seem to allow a lot of storage compared to say a fifth wheel.
That was our major concern.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Thanks for posting this, Fr8t. Very well thought out hoses, and that foldable camping grill rocks! More things for my Amazon Wishlist..
Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Good Thread!

I have a few items similar but slightly different from ’shaker. I also have the Corelle square dinnerware, but instead of white I have the Simple Lines pattern.

I also have a Presto pressure cooker, but mine is the 6-Quart version. Same diameter, just a little taller. It is my sole large pan. I came with the strainer lid, and I also order a glass lid, a steamer basket, and a larger hardback cookbook from Presto.

I got one of the Endless Breeze fans after seeing hers. Great all-round fan.

I also have a 7 inch square Taste of Home electric skillet that is perfect for a quick grilled cheese or other one-person meals. I really use it all the time. It was a gift from ’shaker the last time I had dinner with them. Thanks!

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post

Inspired by Michel, I just ordered a 3 qt enameled Dutch oven. I went with Lodge, though.

I have already posted on the “How Many People Actually Use Their Oven?” thread several times, so that is obviously one of my favorites.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
thanks

Shaker....

great stuff. i'm a total newbie and appreciate the thought you put into your list. Definitely some good ideas that i hadn't thought about.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Its The Little Things

Hi,

Just thought I would kinda give an update on some things that are working out great for our unit.

Since I find the thought of drilling into my cabinets painful, I have opted for these over the cabinet door solutions. I got mine at Amazon (also submitted reviews there), but I think Ikea carries them as well as other places.

I purchased an over the cabinet door paper towel holder that I did not mount over the cabinet door. Instead I removed the two screws on one end of the window valance over the sinks in my galley. I placed the paper towel holder on it and reattached the valance. It is working out great. Seemed as if the free standing holder I had was always getting moved out of the way and was always in the wrong place when I needed it.

I added 2 nine inch over the cabinet door towel holders to the double doors below my sinks in the galley. Great for my dishcloth and dish towel.

I removed the towel ring that I had mounted in the bath on the angled part of the cabinet that is between the vanity door and shower. I found The hand towel I kept on it blocked the heating vent. I replaced it with an over the cabinet door towel ring below the vanity sink.

I have also been trying to find a good solution for a wastebasket in the galley so I can relace my slide out for the trash can with an additional slide out pantry. I went with the bamboo over the cabinet door wastebasket that I placed on the cabinet door of my credenza. This required a small modification to the wastebasket since the over the cabinet braces interfered with the door latch. The brackets on the waste basket unscrew to enable the unit to be screwed to a cabinet for a permanent mount. The screw holes for the permanent mount are closer together. I cut some of the lenght off of the over the cabinet brackets and drilled ahole into each of them and used a small nut and bolt to attach the brackets to the wastebasket. This placed them closer together and out of the way of the latch. A family member made a wood lid so we do not have to see or ,more importantly, smell the contents. I like this wastebasket more than I thought I would after I realized I can temporarily move it to one of the doors below the sink in the galley and just drop stuff right into it during meal prep.

None of these seem intrusive or hinder movement.

Hope others find these ideas helpful.

Happy trails
'shaker
Old 06-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our Interstate had one small towel bar on the bathroom door, period. Someone told us about these little items, which are as good as advertised.

RV Towel Bars

We have two of the larger and two smaller, which adhere tightly to the wetbath walls and required no drilling or permanent fixtures. On sunny days, you can pop them off and put them outside to dry your towels. Lovely!

Maggie
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
fr8tshaker - Would like a little more info on the washer and dryer. How much time does a load take to wash and then dry. I just spent over $15 to do 1 weeks worth of laundry, 4 loads. The little units on your list are intreging.

Anne Marie