Old 08-29-2006, 11:05 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
I've never heard of Ramsey Canyon.....where is that?

Frederic & Brooke
Ramsey Canyon: Nature Preserve.
If you are near Ft. Huachuca it is about 10 mins south.

We love the Huachuca Mountains... it is one of the most diverse ecosystems in the country and it has wonderful areas to explore and hike. The first canyon to the south of Ft. Huachuca is Ramsey Canyon follow the road to the end and you'll be at the Nature Conservancy's preserve they have over 14 different species of Hummingbirds which is about the only place in the US where you will find this many species.. BTW in Maryland you have ONE species the Ruby Throated..... Carr Canyon is the next canyon to the south take the road to the top its a fun little trip... we have done a lot of tent camping at the top...NO WAY don't even think of taking your AS to the top.. The road is passable in a car rough it can be done but the switchbacks are very tight so again DO NOT TAKE YOUR AIRSTREAM. Peak elevation is 7500 feet if I remember right. 20 degrees cooler than FT. Huachuca.
Link to Nature Conservancy Ramsey Canyon below
http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...s/art1973.html

SE Arizona Birders Guide:
http://www.sabo.org/birding/huacspv.htm

Have fun get out do some hiking in the Huachucaís before you hit the road east. Only word of Caution if you do extensive deep back country exploring along the border. Be mindful of your surroundings. (Youíre an Army man so I don't need to tell you your business) I've never once had a problem but itís wise to be mindful. The AZ/ Mexico border is porous. The illegal aliens are not the problem; they're just looking for a better life... it's the drug mules that can pose a greater danger. So enough with that... enjoy SE AZ itís a wonderful place.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Stingray, sounds like you lucked out on the monsoon weather and clouds keeping the heat down. That's great!

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
David,

I sure did! Who would have thought we came to Arizona to escape the Maryland heat! LOL!!!!!!

Frederic & Brooke

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Too much good stuff

I can well remember how MISERABLE one camping trip was with my children in southern Arizona. But they can't. They think it was the most delightful time. You can never tell what kids will remember and what they will think of an experience. It has no direct relation to cost or how much trouble you go to. Unless you really need the money, my advice (free and probably worth what you pay) is to WAIT. Just give yourself some time and see how you feel later. As an old man whose kids are now grown (one lost in the military), I will say that the times with the kids are the most important in my life. I've never met anyone who wishes he could go back and spend LESS time with the kids. In a blink they're gone.

(You just think! you'll be glad. smile)

Waynon
Old 09-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm with Waynon. If you don't have to sell, don't. Keep it at least one more summer and try it for camping and not living in and see how you and the kids like it. At the end of next summer if you don't like it, place an ad here on the forums and sell her. If you sell her now and get the itch to go camping next April when you start to get spring fever you will wish you hadn't.

You can always sell it later but you can almost never buy it back.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
We're Home!!!!!

Yes, it's true, we finally made it home, after driving almost straight through. We left Friday, at 12:30 and hauled butt East, stopping just past Midland. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, and I fell asleep literally when my head hit the pillow (It was 2 AM). Saturday we left at 10 AM and kept going all day and night and day again, arriving at 8 PM on Sunday. Alice is parked over where we keep our horses, and we are slowly unpacking her.
We averaged 14.5MPG the whole way home (yes, I did break my "tow at 55MPH" rule). Considering our speed, and the weight of the trailer (it was max'd out at 7500lbs), I'd say that was okay.
I'm sure that as the days go by, I'll probably change my mind and see everyone elses' point of view. For right now, I'm just happy to be home, in our Select Comfort bed.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I just stumbled on this thread and read it all - interesting viewpoints. Take your time making the decision to sell unless it is a necessity. You may never want to live in it again, but I suspect you will want to get out on the open road and explore again. Welcome Home!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Frederic,

I understand and really have special respect for those who can full time. Even with 31' and a slide out, Patty and I usually are happy to be home after a long trip. I don't believe even when retirement comes we will ever be able to break from having a home base, and yes our Select Comfort bed also. Something about having your feet hang off the end of that short queen in the Classic always makes coming home all the better.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Don't Feel Guilty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
I'm sure that as the days go by, I'll probably change my mind and see everyone elses' point of view. For right now, I'm just happy to be home, in our Select Comfort bed.

Frederic
... for being happy to be home! We've been Airstreaming for ten years. No matter how wonderful the adventure, it is always wonderful to get home and trade 240 square feet for 3000, long showers with lots of hot water, full sized refrigerator, select comfort bed, doggie door and dog run, etc.

That's one reason we Airstream. It's gets us out of the house and makes us appreciate what we have when we return. But then about January, the itch to hit the road begins...
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote;Something about having your feet hang off the end of that short queen in the Classic always makes coming home all the better.

This is something we're about to find for ourselves. Plans are to move into our 30' Classic{no slide} full time this spring. What I have found that accompanys those long showers and a Select Comfort Bed is a lawn to water and mow, a house to paint, a drive to shove the snow from, property taxes to pay, gutters to clean, trees and bushes to trim and while we're away always worrying if a pipe froze or if someone has broke in. We don't expect to do this forever but are looking forward to escaping some of the worlds stuff.---pieman